Tailbeacon opinions

I used go pro mounts... it’s a mini. I don’t ever do any good stuff so that doesn’t affect me... I like that I have no chords- and it’s less awkward than looking down then up if I gotta get in there n adjust a route or whatnot... as my heads still up... w my slight move it’ll be even more angled at me... w the go pro mounts it clips in and out and the charger chord goes to my usb plug behind me so I have no cabin clutter

I hate to pester you with this Huckster, but do you have any more specific information on the iPad mount you used?

I hate to pester you with this Huckster, but do you have any more specific information on the iPad mount you used?

pester? This is a great conversation!

I’ll take a pic of it- it’s some parts out of $20 generic kit I bought off eBay when I bought my GoPro (that I never use) nothing special. I ordered some of the specific 3M tape that came w the kit off Amazon.

it held it up there through GEorgia last week which was rough air bad- had to pull throttle a couple times.

Huckster is your 140 still a rag wing? Mine is, and in rough air it does a very accurate bucking bronco impression.

I don’t think my large iPad will fit there very well, but I want to try it. Also, I’m not sure if it will serve my purpose because I do practice approaches in this plane. Having to look up at a plate while under the hood or even if in the rare case of IMC, might be a bad thing. I want to try it though. I might even try to get a castaway mini from one of my kids. I have three daughters and nine grandkids and all of them go through iPads like they’re socks.

Taking this 140 dedicated iPad idea a little further: I think that without a cellular subscription, I would be able to load Foreflight and keep it updated via my wireless router, download the data and then when ready to fly, log on to Foreflight and let it operate solely on ADS-B data.

Is that mount quick and easy to pop the iPad in and out so I could take it to the house or the terminal for downloads? I don’t have internet service to my hangar yet.

Last edited:
Huckster is your 140 still a rag wing? Mine is, and in rough air it does a very accurate bucking bronco impression.

I don’t think my large iPad will fit there very well, but I want to try it. Also, I’m not sure if it will serve my purpose because I do practice approaches in this plane. Having to look up at a plate while under the hood or even if in the rare case of IMC, might be a bad thing. I want to try it though. I might even try to get a castaway mini from one of my kids. I have three daughters and nine grandkids and all of them go through iPads like they’re socks.

Taking this 140 dedicated iPad idea a little further: I think that without a cellular subscription, I would be able to load Foreflight and keep it updated via my wireless router, download the data and then when ready to fly, log on to Foreflight and let it operate solely on ADS-B data.

Is that mount quick and easy to pop the iPad in and out so I could take it to the house or the terminal for downloads? I don’t have internet service to my hangar yet.

it’s really easy to clip it in and out, mines cell enabled but I don’t have a sim in it, can update at home and then adsb in for info...

Here’s the mount.

BDF2A0D7-D364-423D-BF42-D514300F891B.jpeg 73A79D8C-C3E6-430A-9C48-0CA6B0FE79F7.jpeg 73A79D8C-C3E6-430A-9C48-0CA6B0FE79F7.jpeg4544A49C-CD1D-4893-978E-A0937E577906.jpeg

Thanks Huckster! That answers a lot of my question. The reason it didn’t look right in my 140 is that mine has an upholstered panel covering that area. I will look at it more closely with this in mind.

Thanks Huckster! That answers a lot of my question. The reason it didn’t look right in my 140 is that mine has an upholstered panel covering that area. I will look at it more closely with this in mind.

right, most do- I went naked interior n saved about 10-15lbs... however if one wanted it there w some creativity and alteration a mount could come through the upholstery.

I forgot to answer the wing question- yea she’s rag winged. I wouldn’t want it any other way unless I had an A model. She does get tossed around easy though... over the Rockies was a trip! Every darned peak it was like an uncoordinated power off stall... I’d feel something in my gut as we crossed the peak then the nose n right wing would drop... I’d just follow it through as if I had pushed her to move that way then correct... only thing my flying gang n I could figure out was lack of diherdral compared to the rest of our fleet.... but we weren’t sure...

Yeah, I thought about how a trimmed hole in the upholstered panel might work but I don’t want to cut until I know that it works there for me. I going to explore the whole thing though.

I too would not be interested in a metallized wing 140.

Yeah, I thought about how a trimmed hole in the upholstered panel might work but I don’t want to cut until I know that it works there for me. I going to explore the whole thing though.

I too would not be interested in a metallized wing 140.

yea you would t want to unless really sold on it... if I get mine tweaked right, where are you at?

yea I’ve tried to be a weight freak so metalized wings would be a no go for me. I’m going to get a reweigh once the oddesy battery gets installed. She was weighed in ‘16 and was 1012! I think once oddesy is in she should be about 950... some of what I’ve done has been hard to quantify... like the piles of glue I scraped off the entire entering and such.

FYI if urs has the old upholstery a cheap easy 8lbs can be gotten rid of in the seat back! It was originally horse hair and heavy AF!

Look in my signature at my 140’s name. That name is well deserved because at last weighing which should be within two pounds, she was at 1028. I think I wrote earlier in the thread about her history. The 150 seats are very light. The ca. 1980 Narco Avionics are very heavy. A pound or two of that is coming out this week which might require a reweigh. You intrigue me about the battery. That sounds significant. How much does it cost?

I hangar at KOSA, Mount Pleasant, Tx. Which state are you in?

Look in my signature at my 140’s name. That name is well deserved because at last weighing which should be within two pounds, she was at 1028. I think I wrote earlier in the thread about her history. The 150 seats are very light. The ca. 1980 Narco Avionics are very heavy. A pound or two of that is coming out this week which might require a reweigh. You intrigue me about the battery. That sounds significant. How much does it cost?

I hangar at KOSA, Mount Pleasant, Tx. Which state are you in?

the oddesy weighs 14lbs so it’s about 14lbs gone! It’s not pricy either, about $300 or $400... one thing to do tho is voltage regulator needs adjustment up a bit, I think it’s 14.7 they like to fully charge. Varies IA to IA if they will sign it off as a minor. My regular guy won’t but found a guy that will. It’s a hellova battery.

down the road I’d go EarthX that baby is only 4lbs! But about $800 and I’ve not found anyone to sign that one off... though they do have a PMA version of EarthX out.

my other main items to lighten her has been: one of the two landing lights she had, the child seat, the upholstery and carpet, the starter went to a lightweight...

I’m in MI so a bit of a hike, though if ya wanted to go camping sometime halfway wouldn’t be bad...

interesting spot to mount the tablet. Could use useful as a sunshade if a little further out!

interesting spot to mount the tablet. Could use useful as a sunshade if a little further out!

Yea it’s a bit “unique” but I’ll be darned if it’s not pretty handy there...used it for a 25hr flying week last week and quite happy with it- going to tweak it slightly.

What’s funny about your comment is I thought about getting a sunvisor n mounting it on it! Then flip it up when coming into airport...

The Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are great. However, the installation requires a Form 337 signed by an I.A. Not certification to comply with 91.413 required unless it's soon to be expired or already expired

The Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are great. However, the installation requires a Form 337 signed by an I.A. Not certification to comply with 91.413 required unless it's soon to be expired or already expired

Myra I went with an Appereo stratus ESG transponder for out and a stratus 3i for in.

As posted above, many need a transponder update anyway. That 1970’s transponder won’t last forever, even with free replacements from the avionics shop.

That’s a big part of the reason why I went with the new transponder.

As posted above, many need a transponder update anyway. That 1970’s transponder won’t last forever, even with free replacements from the avionics shop.

That’s a big part of the reason why I went with the new transponder.

yes, as OP I came to that conclusion and it nstalled an Appereo Stratus esg and 3i, really happy I went that route.

I just stumbled upon the info for the Uavionix TailbeaconX. Right now it's experimental only but they are supposedly working on certification. If it happens I'm definitely going that route as I just installed an AV-30-C which will work as EFIS controller for it. That would really clean up my panel.

I installed a Tailbeacon mainly because of the Orlando - Tampa Class B cutting off flying in the middle of Florida. It still bothers me to have a 2AMU instrument on the tail where it could be damage

My 2 cents

I just stumbled upon the info for the Uavionix TailbeaconX. Right now it's experimental only but they are supposedly working on certification...
uAvionix has an excellent record of delivering on its promises. Subscribe to their mailing list for updates.

I've been checking with Uavionix every month or two on the TailbeaconX certification. Man, when they get the FAA to move their caboose (I assume that's where the holdup is), they will sell the crap out of those. I *almost* would preorder one...but I'm not too keen to do that in this industry.

I have a tail beacon and a Narco 150. The transponder works, so why replace it? There are bunch out there that people have taken out, I'll buy another one and slide it in the rack when this one dies. I don't need, or want a $5000 transponder.

My own post from quite a while back. While, I still believe the theory behind my statement, reality is another issue.

I spent 6 months this last year dealing with repeated certified letters and emails from the FAA. In the end I had to buy a new transponder, AND a new tail beacon (warranty). With the knowledge and experience I had with the tail beacon, I would most likely NOT go that route again.
My transponder crapped out somewhere around March of 2021, my first hint was that ATC told me I was squawking 2700, but the unit was on 1200. I found out later that the transponder wasn't even powered up, so the beacon was picking up something else in the electrical system and was emitting 2700. I bought a used transponder from a guy that said it was working when removed, first flight with that one and I had magic smoke in the cockpit, when I pulled it out of the tray a resistor fell out. I put the old one back in and got more FAA emails. I would fly near towered airports after every change and ask if ADSB was working, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
I spent many hours on the phone with Uavionix trying to trouble shoot the unit. Turns out the tail beacon was bad, but once I found that out it still took several weeks to get Uavionix to send me a new one, and they would only send me one AFTER I proved that the old was had already been sent. I got the new beacon and installed it, all good right? Nope, go to get a pitot static check done and the transponder won't pass an IFR cert. Another 45 minute flight home from the shop, order a new transponder and install it, then back to the pitot static check.
I have (had) two Narco 150's neither working, buy another one? or move on and stop all the wasted time and hassle and unhappy emails with deadlines from the FAA. Sure, I could buy another Narco 150 off eBay for a couple hundred bucks. But, the encoder is also about 40 years old, if you need a new one of those there is another couple hundred $. Everytime you switch out a transponder, your pitot static check is no longer valid, so back to the shop for another couple hundred $, while hoping that this used one is still good.
I know of at least 3 others who have had problems with their tail beacon. One commonality I have heard of is the the old vacuum tube transponders can't handle the constant querying by the beacon and they die. True or not, I don't know, but anectdotally it seems to be true.

I would put in an adsb transponder if I had to do it again. I have as much money in the tail beacon and the new transponder NOT including installation costs to have just put in an ADSB transponder to begin with.

Anyone want a couple of non-working Narco 150's? and an encoder?

The units I’ve seen were slightly heavier than the nav light assembly.

When mounting on a movable flight control a balance check is required to

prevent flutter.

If you are right on the edge of the limit due to paint there may be an issue.

Unpainted it’s not likely.

Balance Check requires Rudder removal. We

Note there is an item in the sample 337 for this procedure.

Will your Tech just sign without doing the check?

I installed my own TailBeacon under supervision and found:

The OEM Grimes Model A2064 Tail light weighed: 76.8 grams
TailBeacon and hardware weighed: 91 grams.
Difference 14.2 grams--a half ounce.

This was discussed in Jan 2020 on a Cherokee board. I think the post below was the best.
https://www.piperforum.com/threads/tailbeacon-skybeacon-pros-cons.18772/page-2#post-277778
2020-01-04 #20 TEG916
I was doing a little bit of math, the balance of your rudder should not change much, but it will change.

1/2 an oz of weight change at the tip of the rudder, comes out to about 0.4 in.-Lbs of moment when you have a 13" arm. Using the numbers from a warrior manual, the limit for the rudder balance is 0 to 13 in.-Lbs trailing edge heavy.

If you are not near the limit for rudder trailing edge heavy, you would be fine when you install a tail beacon. If you are near the limit, putting the tail beacon on could take you out of limits. The question you have to ask yourself is this. When the airplane last left the paint shop, and somebody (hopefully) checked the balance of your rudder, was it at 5 in.-Lbs trailing edge heavy, or was it at 12.9 in.-Lbs trailing edge heavy? My guess would be that if the balance was within limits, no matter how close to the limit it was, they did not order a new balance weight just to bring it closer to the center of the limit.

The balance is maintained to prevent control surface flutter. You would not feel the difference when you are flying from a rudder that is 0 in.-Lbs trailing edge heavy, to one that is 15 in.-Lbs trailing edge heavy. Not until the conditions were just right (or wrong) and you developed a control surface flutter. Just like a shopping cart wheel, it rolls straight and true, until you encounter the conditions that cause it to shimmy, or in our case flutter.

Personally I would check the balance. Checking the balance is not that hard, but it does take a little bit of time. If you choose to roll the dice, my guess would be that 99 out of 100 people would be fine. 1 person may not be.

Yesterday we checked the balance on a C-150 rudder after a Tailbeacon installation.

I was actually shocked to discover that it was slightly out of limits.

This was a unit that the paint had been stripped!

Back