Life-Changing Bands (or Songs)

Another genre suggestion for folks seeking a new beat.... Zydeco

Somewhat timely since Mardi Gras is around the corner.

I also enjoy ska... lots of fun variety...
Hang on then, it's a long winding road and some of y'all ain't gonna make it back to camp. :cool:

Nauga,
and a three-wave set with sleepers behind

Hang on then, it's a long winding road and some of y'all ain't gonna make it back to camp. :cool:

Nauga,
and a three-wave set with sleepers behind
Yup... who knew Japanese Ska was a thing... or that it pretty good stuff...

Or an Aussie thing...

A little out off-style for the Ergs but I really like this one. From the album named after one of our own?

I never seem to get tired of Man or Astro-man

...and we circle back to Jawbreaker again.

Nauga,
ready for the roar again

Further off the beaten path for bands I've already posted:

The Dry Heathens (post 143)

Monkeystrikes (post 84) covering Echo and the Bunnymen (probably more on them later...)

The Marked Men (post 151)

Nauga,
whose hangar is easy to find even with your eyes closed

Further off the beaten path for bands I've already posted:

Monkeystrikes (post 84) covering Echo and the Bunnymen (probably more on them later...)

Nauga,
whose hangar is easy to find even with your eyes closed

I hadn't heard of the Monkeystrikes. Singers voice and her phrasing style remind me a lot of Metric, of whom I'm a big fan. Metric songs seem to be chosen frequently for movie soundtracks, but you don't hear a lot of their catalogue on the radio. This song was a fairly big hit for them though.

Same album, better song (imo)

“Come on man! Here’s the deal!”

If you want a life changing song:

Tonight we go from 'life changing' to 'mind altering.'

Direct Hit is one of those bands one has to tread lightly around to avoid posting something that would not reflect well :cool:
This one is relatively tame.

My favorite by The Lillingtons, who sound just like Teenage Bottle Rocket...for good reason.

...and back to Jawbreaker. Got to end with the East Bay.

Nauga,
gearing up for Skaturday

One of my best friends from High School and I went to the Eagles Hotel California concert around 1977 in Ft. Worth. After the concert he decided to go into the music industry. Now he is the manager of the Randy Rogers band! Marty Weir.

Another Skaturday drew to a close without much notice. My favorite day of the week, musically at least.

Prince Buster, who started a trend

2tone time got a little faster...
The Selecter (anything by Madness would have been a cop out :cool:)

Third wave had some commercial success...and some not
The Pietasters

...and beyond...
Left Alone (again)

MC Lars sums it up.

Nauga,
picking it up

Songs that touch and/or inspire me:

Tommy Bolin's "Post Toastee." Too bad Tommy didn't heed his own advice and OD'ed in Florida while touring with Jeff Beck. Didn't even live long enough to make it to the 27 club. Sad, very talented man.

REO's "son of a poor man." The version from the REO "Live, you get what you play for" album.

On the other side of the coin:

I really like ZZ Top music when working out or riding my bike...one song at a time in a high energy mix. Try to listen to the Best of ZZ Top album something though and you'll discover that they really only wrote on song.

My lady and I always play "guess that song" when we're working out, driving down the highway, whatever. One of us can usually nail a rock song from the 60s, 70s, or 80s. In the first couple of bars.

The other day a song came on while we were working out. In the first bar I said it was "with or without you." A bar later, she said it was "still haven't found what I'm looking for." It was neither, it was "where the street has no name."

Yeah I know, it's one of the best selling albums of all time...but the above is strong evidence that Bono sucks! One would never accuse any three songs on the White Album of sounding alike. Or any other true classic album.

Songs that touch and/or inspire me:

Tommy Bolin's "Post Toastee." Too bad Tommy didn't heed his own advice and OD'ed in Florida while touring with Jeff Beck. Didn't even live long enough to make it to the 27 club. Sad, very talented man.

REO's "son of a poor man." The version from the REO "Live, you get what you play for" album.

On the other side of the coin:

I really like ZZ Top music when working out or riding my bike...one song at a time in a high energy mix. Try to listen to the Best of ZZ Top album something though and you'll discover that they really only wrote on song.

My lady and I always play "guess that song" when we're working out, driving down the highway, whatever. One of us can usually nail a rock song from the 60s, 70s, or 80s. In the first couple of bars.

The other day a song came on while we were working out. In the first bar I said it was "with or without you." A bar later, she said it was "still haven't found what I'm looking for." It was neither, it was "where the street has no name."

Yeah I know, it's one of the best selling albums of all time...but the above is strong evidence that Bono sucks! One would never accuse any three songs on the White Album of sounding alike. Or any other true classic album.

There are a lot of bands who had a hit or two and just used that as a template for an entire album or more. Same power chords, always 4/4 time, same harmonies. Sometimes a lead singer's voice is so polarizing that even when the music IS different, all you can focus on is the singer's signature sound. I will flip the station on the radio if I hear Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam because I just grew to hate his voice (and Pearl Jam music wasn't exactly the stuff of musical genius, either). Never understood the love for them.

Heard this earlier today courtesy of Kid Leo:

Brand new classic rock - Love that Ric-o-sound.

Back at home this evening it's Pokey Lafarge to mellow things out a bit. He's a mixed bag, but I like his more swing-ey stuff.

I could've sworn Shirley Bassey recorded "History Repeating" long ago and the Propellerheads remixed it, but searching for the original taught me that the 'remix' *is* the original. Whatever, I love her voice and it's still one of my favorites.

Hillbilly Moon Explosion is fairly new to me but I'm a sucker for a good off-style cover. If you go digging, start with the stuff without Sparky. o_O

Nauga,
who will pick up the wrench tomorrow.

Karen O nails this cover.

Turn it up to 11.

I don't always listen to this, but when I do my neighbors throw a brick through my window so they can hear it better.

Karen O nails this cover.
Immigrant Song is one of the few Led Zeppelin songs I like. I rate this version a bit below the original but well above Dread Zeppelin's cover. :D

Nauga,
off-brand

These guys?
No...but I do like that one. Costumes aside, it's got the bottom end and tempo I like.

I was referring this one:

Nauga,
and another concept album

No...but I do like that one. Costumes aside, it's got the bottom end and tempo I like.

I was referring this one:

Nauga,
and another concept album
I have heard that one.

--

On the Led Zep topic:

48 years ago today "Houses of the Holy" was released.

houses.jpg

Those two kids are all growed up (brother and sister)

166238758_5557906384250025_1871469096840209367_n.jpg

a lot of good stuff on that album.

I'm on a Suicide Machines run tonight. This one is a little more approachable than most of their stuff. Not life changing for me but is appropriate for a recent life change.

...and another one just for fun. See if you can name the bands ;)

Nauga,
who is ready for the return of live (good) music

I went for the bass-heavy playlist in the hangar today. Apologies to the neighbors. Selections include:
Huevos Rancheros - Get Outta Dodge is full of good stuff, Interstate Death Toll is my favorite.

Nothington - Bottom Line...reminds me to post some 'Off With Their Heads,' but they're no relation AFAIK.

Bantam - Come Undone
Bantam is a relatively new find for me. It was the best thing to come out of the Lunachicks (which is what got me here).

Nauga,
booooomph

Jimmy Buffett. Changes in Latitude or frankly any of his songs. I am a huge Parrot head. My kids first concert i took them to was to see Jimmy. Tailgating at those concerts beats all others i am convinced, where else can you dress up in the craziest garb, drink, chill and feel an immediate connection with every other fan there.

Zac Brown would be a close second..Knee Deep or Toes or Chicken Fried.

Here's a couple of bands that have been on pretty regular rotation recently. I've been listening to a lot of southern/blues influenced rock.

The Blue Stones
Let It Ride - (has some similarities to the Black Keys)

Be My Fire

The Revivalists
It Was a Sin

Change

Hello, yeah, it's been a while.
A couple songs by bands I've already posted for a loud Saturday evening

Direct Hit!

Riverboat Gamblers (1 point for every club you've been to or band you've seen live, 1/2 point for every band you've even heard of :) )

And finishing with a cheerful little ditty by The Flatliners

Nauga,
who found another boxful

I was putting together a playlist of old stuff as a Christmas gift when I realized I like Simon and Garfunkel songs covered by other people better than those by S&G themselves.

The Lemonheads

The Bangles (the mix sounds off in this video for some reason, the original cover is more to my liking)

And I'll make you a deal. If nobody posts Disturbed's bombastic cover of "The Sound of Silence" I won't post The Dickies' version. ;)

Nauga,
who looks pretty young but he's just back-dated

That's exactly how I feel about the Beatles. Wonderful songwriters but only so-so performers.
Well, no pitch correction or quantization in the olden days; if you listen to most older music, it has a lovely humanity that is absent today.

Early on:

The Beatles really had an effect on me in junior high and high school, even though by then they weren’t together any more.

Then Queen… Killer Queen was the first Queen song I ever heard, and I had to hear more. Brian May is an artist among artists.

I’ll be forever grateful to one of my kids who left a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy CD in the car once. I’d have never gone there on my own.

I don't even know where to start. I'd have to say the Beatles because I was just the right age when they hit--13. One of the defining moments in my life was the Beatles concert I went to at the Cow Palace near San Francisco; I was so mad at all my friends for screaming.

Later, it would have to be the Grateful Dead.

Too many songs to name. Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth"; Simon & Garfunkle's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"; Rolling Stone's "Honky Tonk Women"'; and on and on. The piece of music that has probably has the single biggest effect on my life, though, is Handel's "Messiah".

Back