Looong XC Concerns

My advice, don't overthink it, just do it. Bring a credit card, iPad w/ Foreflight, cell phone, and some basic hand tools. You'll be fine. If weather gets iffy, just land and wait it out. I did FL to IL VFR when I bought my plane. I had about 150 hours TT. It was a blast.

My brother and I bought a Rans S6S in Pocatello, ID last October. We flew his RV9A out to Pocatello from Oklahoma City. Our route was from OKC to Moriarty, NM (I40). then north and west through the Rockies to Pocatello. We circumnavigated everything to remain at or below 10,500/9500' and it worked out great. When we got to Pocatello, I flew the S6 home to OKC, 13.8 flight hours, about 1500 miles. He flew his RV home. All I really had in the S6 was my portable Aera 660 GPS, Icom A200 radio and the transponder without ADS-B. Don't have foreflight and I don't even have an Ipad. Don't know how to use either one of them. We were prepared to spend an extra day (or 5?) for weather if we had to, but we didn't have to. Weather was great all 4 days. But we did get away from Pocatello a little later than planned Saturday afternoon, so we had to spend an extra night in a motel. We chose to fly strictly in daylight hours. This was THE most fun trip I've EVER had in an airplane.

I will admit though, I'm right 1100 hours and 44 years (1977) experience PPL.

Last edited:
Back