GRT Mini GA

Flybuddy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flybuddy
I've got an Aspen E5 and wanted a secondary Attitude Indicator. Been waiting on the AV30 but estimated cert date keeps getting backed way off. Finally decided this past weekend to move several items around in panel to see if I could even free up a 3 1/8th hole which I did. Started looking at alternatives like used electric AIs, DynonD3, Garmin G5 and the GRT Mini GA. I opted for the Mini GA and tried to buy one this morning but there aren't any for sale. I called GRT, they are locked down in Michigan and having supplier problems with parts, doesn't look like any time soon.
Anyway it seems to be a nice unit:
http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/mini-ga-general-aviation-efis/
Anyone have experience with it? Just wanting to know if it's worth waiting for..thx

I know a couple of Velocity's that have them (I have a pair of HXr's). Haven't heard any complaints.

But I didn't think they were certified. Or are you going for a field approval?

I know a couple of Velocity's that have them (I have a pair of HXr's). Haven't heard any complaints.

But I didn't think they were certified. Or are you going for a field approval?

This is from their site:
"Qualifies as portable electronic device allowing installation in certified aircraft per PS-ACE-23-01-R1."

right under that "The Mini-GA is not certified and cannot be used as a primary or back-up."

b/w i know a few that uses the Dynon portable and they say it works pretty well

Thx...the Mini GA is a portable unit and can be clipped in and cig plug power just like Dynon portable, the PS-ACE-23-01-R1 only comes into account if you want to hard wire and get a signature as a minor change. The Dynon D3 does get good reviews from most users and would serve as an emergency reference if ever needed. Neither is certified for primary or backup. The D3, however, is fairly basic and I don't like that both the GPS plug and power plugs stick straight out from the sides making it hokey looking in the panel mount clip. Also, even though the D3 has an AHRS it will NOT function at all without GPS. The Mini GA has power and antenna plugs in the rear and will still function off the AHRS if the GPS drops. It also has a full feature moving map, free map updates, HITS, better syn vision, HSI, flight director, airports and frequencies. IMO, the D3 has a lot more usage due to the much lower price point.

I'm waiting for my vacuum pump to go out and plan to replace the vacuum instruments (VFR plane) with the Mini GA. Unfortunately GRT is out of stock at the moment and don't really know when they will be able to make some more due to the current world virus situation. The AV-20 in a hole reducer might do the job as a back-up.

Given that these come from the experimental world, the best source of feedback on one of these is on an experimental forum. Search VAF for the GRT mini; plenty to read over there. Or, place a WTB in the classifieds there; you just might get lucky.

I have flown with a GRT HX for years and really like it. No experience with the mini though. Also have a G5 and D3 in the panel.

The question of legality in a certified aircraft isn't an area I am familiar with.

Last edited:
A bit later, but I've installed a Mini GA and really like it. The flight director is spot on, as are the synthetic approaches. The only thing that is a bit of a challenge is learning the "buttonology" to get it to display what you want. Worth waiting for for sure.

Back