Ok, which of you was it?

I see the 'gays, grannys and grandes' guy is still working.

Good reminder to make sure you don’t have a stuck mic.

And he got an upgrade. :rofl:

I thought he was capt back then.

Does anyone here know the buttonology on the 737 ? Is there a way for the FO to 'accidentally' broadcast the intercom on the main radio ?

I thought he was capt back then.

Does anyone here know the buttonology on the 737 ? Is there a way for the FO to 'accidentally' broadcast the intercom on the main radio ?
I confused him with the FA who popped the slide and grabbed some beer, but that was JetBlue.

No, it is not.

All of SWA's airplanes have a latching I/C (intercom system) switch on the audio panels. It is a toggle switch. Push forward and it is PTT (labelled R/T for Radio Transmit) for the selected radio and is momentary (spring loaded to return to neutral position). Pull it aft and it latches in I/C.

Older audio panels were momentary in both directions and rubber bands were used to hold the switch in the I/C position when both pilots were wearing ANR, in-ear, or over-ear headsets. SWA upgraded their fleet to all have the newer latching I/C model.

A stuck mic normally comes from a failing R/T-I/C switch that doesn't positively snap back to neutral when released. This stuck mic event started with the pilot's transmission to ATC but the transmission never ended. This is consistent with a bad R/T-I/C switch.

These are pictures of the old and new panels. The R/T-I/C switch is in the lower-left corner. On the new panel, it is in the latched I/C position.

2_892b39b7b882bdb38482e83eca2998de.jpeg

2_b0fe112380ba37a498fe68aadc63f155.jpg

All of SWA's airplanes have a latching I/C (intercom system) switch on the audio panels.
Older audio panels were momentary in both directions and rubber bands were used to hold the switch in the I/C position when both pilots were wearing ANR, in-ear, or over-ear headsets. SWA upgraded their fleet to all have the newer latching I/C model.

I was going to reply to the question but figured you'd come along and do a better job. You didn't disappoint! :)

Our airplanes have all been upgraded to the latching model as well. Think I still have a few 3D printed doohickeys for the old style though. Boy did the FAA *hate* that!

“You don’t have balls unless you’re ****ing rolling coal, man, ******n it,"

I'm pretty sure "rolling coal" strongly correlates with having a micropenis.

I had never heard the term.

Rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit large amounts of black or grey sooty exhaust fumes into the air. Rolling coal is sometimes used as a form of anti-environmentalism.

His punishment is one year of flying SFO-LAX-OAK-BUR-SJC-ONT-SAC-SAN
I wouldn't be surprised in SWA has that trip in their bid packet.

Our airplanes have all been upgraded to the latching model as well. Think I still have a few 3D printed doohickeys for the old style though. Boy did the FAA *hate* that!
We still have a mix of old and new. I used the 3d printed things for a while but went back to the rubber bands. You could still use the switch's PTT function while using the rubber band.

"...An unidentified pilot with a southern accent..."

I like how they throw that in there as if obviously this is somehow only a southern redneck/hillbilly opinion. I doubt any other accent would have been mentioned.

Not only was his diatribe a violation of sterile cockpit rules, but if you get that upset over people with different views than you, perhaps you shouldn't be at the helm of a 150 seat airliner.

I doubt any other accent would have been mentioned.
You mean like the accents that are brought up in comm threads here? It was a pretty distinguishing characteristic.

Nauga,
who is from the south

You mean like the accents that are brought up in comm threads here? It was a pretty distinguishing characteristic.

Nauga,
who is from the south

Distinguishing for what purpose?

Not only was his diatribe a violation of sterile cockpit rules, but if you get that upset over people with different views than you, perhaps you shouldn't be at the helm of a 150 seat airliner.

Yeah, I'm sure no other pilot has ever done that flying into Jackson MS, or Birmingham AL, etc. They just didn't have a stuck mic.

No, it is not.

All of SWA's airplanes have a latching I/C (intercom system) switch on the audio panels. It is a toggle switch. Push forward and it is PTT (labelled R/T for Radio Transmit) for the selected radio and is momentary (spring loaded to return to neutral position). Pull it aft and it latches in I/C

I figured that there was no way of doing that.

So both pilots would use the same switch on the audio panel to transmit or are there two of these audio panels ?

I meant why is this writer distinguishing that it was a southern accent since they mention "our politics" in the story since they apparently live in the SF area and speculates they voted for Trump. There's more to it than just to distinguish what kind of accent it was. There was a statement behind distinguishing it. But anyway.

SFist.com ??? Really? That's some quality journalism there. Sounds like some BA Comm kids living the dream and ******** about their student loans to me.

SFist.com ??? Really? That's some quality journalism there. Sounds like some BA Comm kids living the dream and ******** about their student loans to me.
SFist is more a lifestyle site than a news site. Actually not a news site a all. More like a opinion site, even more so that the normal news sites.

I meant why is this writer distinguishing that it was a southern accent since they mention "our politics" in the story since they apparently live in the SF area and speculates they voted for Trump. There's more to it than just to distinguish what kind of accent it was. There was a statement behind distinguishing it. But anyway.

Very simple. The speaker made aspersions about the Bay Area. Someone who lived there made some back.

Tim

so one person shares their opinion but, different opinions aren’t welcome? Please clarify your comment.

Back