Best glide and min sink, not dependent on weight video

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
Not sure I’m getting all this pilot is telling. He is doing some practical tests to find best glide. In the video he mentions that “best glide is not affected by weight, it’s angle of attack” and he tries or finds out for himself what best glide is at no flaps to full flaps incrementally. Just wondering what pilots here think about this, and his claims.

He's wrong. I didn't listen to the whole thing because there was much nonsense in his supposed discussion of aerodynamics before he got off the ground that I couldn't stomach it anymore.

Best glide is NOT determined solely by the angle of attack. What he fails to recognize is that the induced drag GOES UP with an increase in weight. You need more angle of attack for a given speed at higher weights, hence more induced drag. Parasitic drag on the other hand is not much affected by weight, it is determined solely by airspeed. As a result Best Glide which is the minimum of the sum of these two drag curves does increase with weight.

Interestingly, the actual glide angle (distance gained per altitude loss) doesn't change with the weight. You get there faster, but you travel the same distance.

iu

Sailplanes live and die over this stuff. Where that straight line E-48 is tangent to the curves is the best Lift/Drag (best glide) speed at two different weights.

Didn’t watch the video, but @flyingron got it. Speed changes, glide ratio remains the same. That’s why racing sailplanes carry water ballast on good days...to get more speed without sacrificing glide ratio.

Minimal sink does go up with increasing weight.

That's why the racing sailplane will jettison ballast if thermal conditions get weaker.

iu

Sailplanes live and die over this stuff. Where that straight line E-48 is tangent to the curves is the best Lift/Drag (best glide) speed at two different weights.
Why aren't there two tangent lines drawn from the origin rather than a single line from some mysterious value (3.x m/s)?

Best glide is NOT determined solely by the angle of attack. What he fails to recognize is that the induced drag GOES UP with an increase in weight. You need more angle of attack for a given speed at higher weights, hence more induced drag. Parasitic drag on the other hand is not much affected by weight, it is determined solely by airspeed. As a result Best Glide which is the minimum of the sum of these two drag curves does increase with weight.
The speed increases with weight because 'best glide' (L/Dmax) *is* a "determined" by AOA. The 1g trim speed at that AOA will be higher at higher weight, just as you described, but the AOA for best glide doesn't change with weight.

Nauga,
and other weighty matters

Why aren't there two tangent lines drawn from the origin rather than a single line from some mysterious value (3.x m/s)?
Both curves are tangent at purd near exactly the same Lift/Drag ratio (glide angle) of about 48. And as Mr. Nauga pointed out, the origin is somewhere off to the left of the graph.
Horizontal axis is airspeed, vertical is sink rate.

Both curves are tangent at purd near exactly the same Lift/Drag ratio (glide angle) of about 48. And as Mr. Nauga pointed out, the origin is somewhere off to the left of the graph.
Horizontal axis is airspeed, vertical is sink rate.
It seems to me that as weight goes up the nose needs to go down in order to gain more thrust component from gravity to offset the increase in drag caused by the additional speed needed to lift the weight. Add enough weight and you'd be pointed straight down just to avoid stalling. So what am I missing?:confused:

It seems to me that as weight goes up the nose needs to go down in order to gain more thrust component from gravity to offset the increase in drag caused by the additional speed needed to lift the weight.
Yes. As you can see in the graph, the higher weight shifts the lift / drag (speed / sink) curve to the right. I'm sure that if you pushed it far enough, the tangent line (best L/D) would move, but for practical ranges of weights, it remains about the same. That's why gliders carry ballast - increase their "best" airspeed (at the expense of climb rates in a thermal).
The best glide angle is nearly constant, airspeed and sink rates increase for that glide angle.

It seems to me that as weight goes up the nose needs to go down in order to gain more thrust component from gravity to offset the increase in drag caused by the additional speed needed to lift the weight. Add enough weight and you'd be pointed straight down just to avoid stalling. So what am I missing?:confused:
As weight goes up so does the thrust component from gravity, because weight is where it comes from.

As weight goes up so does the thrust component from gravity, because weight is where it comes from.
But as speed goes up, drag goes too, so you need even more help from gravity, no?

He's wrong. I didn't listen to the whole thing because there was much nonsense in his supposed discussion of aerodynamics before he got off the ground that I couldn't stomach it anymore.

Interestingly, the actual glide angle (distance gained per altitude loss) doesn't change with the weight. You get there faster, but you travel the same distance.

thanks! That made sense to me and got me back to what I thought I knew. Reinforces it. I should have thought of that, but you cut right to it!

thanks! That made sense to me and got me back to what I thought I knew. Reinforces it. I should have thought of that, but you cut right to it!
Best glide *is* determined by angle of attack. The *speed* for best glide is a function of angle of attack and weight.

This is fraught with peril but here goes anyway.

Nauga,
out to pasture at the geek farm

DescentPerf.png

But as speed goes up, drag goes too, so you need even more help from gravity, no?
Yes. It's all proportional. Say, for example, you double the aircraft weight. If you're gliding at the same angle, you now have double the "thrust" from gravity, no? Since weight equals lift and lift is proportional to the square of the airspeed, the airspeed now has to be sqrt(2) or 1.414 times the original speed. But drag is also proportional to the square of the airspeed, so it's doubled too, equal to the doubled "thrust".

Not sure I’m getting all this pilot is telling. He is doing some practical tests to find best glide. In the video he mentions that “best glide is not affected by weight, it’s angle of attack” and he tries or finds out for himself what best glide is at no flaps to full flaps incrementally. Just wondering what pilots here think about this, and his claims.

From the 182RG POH

BEST GLIDE SPEED
WEIGHT (LBS) KIAS
3100 80
2550. 72
2000 64

Yes, eventually parasitic drag from the fuselage and other non-lift surfaces starts to play a role. In the range of speeds that gliders operate, induced drag from the lifting surfaces dominates the equation. So while for practical purposes, the glide ratio remains the same (e.g. 48 in this case), if you measured it carefully, it would shift from 48.x at the lower weight/speed to 47.x at the higher weight.
You are not doubling the weight. Its maybe 20% that you can add with the water tanks.

From the 182RG POH

BEST GLIDE SPEED
WEIGHT (LBS) KIAS
3100 80
2550. 72
2000 64
What is interesting with this is that as the weight of the 182 approaches the max gross for a C150 (1600) the best glide speed approaches the best glide for the C150 (57 KIAS) as well.

Is this because they share the same wing?

I’m guilty of not listening too carefully to the video, but what I heard getting the most emphasis was minimum “sink.” I really didn’t hear much about airspeed. If I missed that, my bad. But if by sink he’s referring to minimum fpm on the VSI, then he’s sadly mistaken. If you try to minimize vertical speed, you end up reducing airspeed to the point that your glide range ends up being reduced. Best glide actually occurs at a higher vertical speed, which brings with it a higher airspeed, and greater range.

What is interesting with this is that as the weight of the 182 approaches the max gross for a C150 (1600) the best glide speed approaches the best glide for the C150 (57 KIAS) as well.

Is this because they share the same wing?

No even close to the same wing.

I’m guilty of not listening too carefully to the video, but what I heard getting the most emphasis was minimum “sink.” I really didn’t hear much about airspeed. If I missed that, my bad. But if by sink he’s referring to minimum fpm on the VSI, then he’s sadly mistaken. If you try to minimize vertical speed, you end up reducing airspeed to the point that your glide range ends up being reduced. Best glide actually occurs at a higher vertical speed, which brings with it a higher airspeed, and greater range.
Yep, minimum sink rate and best glide are two different targets.

And all this defines best glide as the maximum air distance travelled per altitude lost. If you're talking bout ground distances, you have to take the wind into account.

If you take the glider polar that @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe posted and drop a horizontal line until it just touches the highest point on the curve, that's minimum sink. The guy in the video was saying if you just multiply that by some factor, you get best glide. I guess there might be some rule of thumb that gets it close enough, but then you have to know min sink, which is in no POH that I'm aware of. The other laughable thing was him talking about finding min sink with various flap settings (OK), but then using that to find best glide at various flap settings. Pretty easy to improve glide at any flap setting other than 0 is to go to flaps 0. You would never use flaps when trying to reach some field on glide. Once you have it made, then use lots of flaps to slow your landing, but if you are miles away and trying to stretch - no flaps.
The other thing you would see on a GA aircraft is the polar curve would be a lot steeper. Our planes are draggy compared to a sailplane. Sailplanes can go pretty fast and still be pretty flat in glide, our planes not so much.
Lastly, he was getting bounced around in flight (at least on climb, I couldn't watch the whole thing. In active air, he isn't going to get data about min sink that is any good. He was in FL and the thermals have been around 500 fpm. The sink would have been similar. If you want to get that kind of data, early morning or very late.

Best glide *is* determined by angle of attack. The *speed* for best glide is a function of angle of attack and weight.
Right, and there's an easy way to demo this. We trim the plane not to a specific airspeed, but to a specific angle of attack (with some minor caveats that don't matter here).

So at a safe altitude, trim your plane to, say, 90 knots straight and level, then roll into a 45° coordinated bank without pushing or pulling on the yoke. You've just effectively made your plane 40% heavier but haven't changed your AoA (remember, just turn the yoke, don't push or pull). At the same AoA, you now need about 18% more airspeed to support the extra weight because sqrt(1.4) is 1.18, so the nose will automatically drop to start picking up speed until — probably after lots of phugoid oscillations — you settle somewhere around 106 knots, assuming you haven't run out of altitude by then.

Same AoA, higher weight, higher calibrated airspeed.

No even close to the same wing.
Well, both use the NACA 2412 airfoil, the 182 wing is slightly larger 174 sq ft to the 150's 160 sq ft. Other than an extra 17" span on each wing, what else is completely different as you say?

Well, both use the NACA 2412 airfoil, the 182 wing is slightly larger 174 sq ft to the 150's 160 sq ft. Other than an extra 17" span on each wing, what else is completely different as you say?

Check the leading edge of the 182RG wing

Check the leading edge of the 182RG wing
Ok, yes, I see that, and it is the same for all 182 (and 172) and 182RG post 1972. But that would make it slightly different than the 150 wing which did not have the Camber-lift wing modification added at the same time.

Well I watched sincerely hoping he was just being misunderstood but I had to stop when he said his glide ratio is better with 20-30 degrees of flaps. This is highly improbable since the definition of glide speed is the maximum ratio of lift to drag (L/Dmax). An airplane in steady state flight with flaps compared to one without flaps will create more drag, with the same amount of lift, therefore decreasing the glide ratio.

Good reminder that any fool can start a YouTube channel and present himself as an expert. As aviators, we know enough to see through this guy, but we need to apply the same scepticism to areas outside flying where we might not have the personal expertise (medical, political, or what-have-you).

Back