Recent Piper Wing Spar AD in English, please.

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Can someone here give me the straight skivvy n the recent A.D. that has hit the Piper Cherokee line?

As I understand this, any Cherokee or other models listed will need to have the inspection done when the aircraft reaches 5000 hours. A potential seller told me the other day, along with their A&P, that the 5,000 hours "time in service" is predicated on the number of 100-hour inspections the aircraft has had related to the total time the plane has been in service.

I believe the FAA dropped this for an inspection at 5000 hours; or before the next annual for aircraft over the 5K hour benchmark.

Am I not reading this chart right?

https://acsaviation.com/images/2021/02/12/faa-ad-piper-wing-spar.jpg

It's been beat to death. It's the latest in the moral hazard special for the hobby. At any rate, 5000 hours for the aircraft if the other two conditions (spar replaced, incomplete logs) are not true. At that point and that point only, you get to calculate the service FACTOR hours for the aircraft, which largely hinges on inspections that intimate commercial service aka 100-hour inspections. The non-commercial hours are generally discounted by a factor of 1/17th. That's how you end up with an aircraft with more than 5000 TIS hours, but much less than 5000 service factor hours. It is the latter that would trigger the eddy current inspection, not the former.

Or you can read the chart. :D Again emphasis on not conflating TIS hours with SFH hours. It's not complicated, just a gross moral hazard brought to you by ERAU, but I digress.....

For example: My plane has 5800 hours tt, original wings and spars. Iirc 17 100hr inspections. So factored time in service = (17x100)+(4100/17). I made a log entry with those hours, and I'm good until 52,000 hours tt.

Or until the faa comes out with a final rule...

Back