Want to start...

Sam Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SamG
First, I apologize if this topic has been covered (I'm sure it has). I did not do a search, but went back a couple of pages, and found this thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/what-would-you-look-for-in-a-flight-school.130476/
But that just leads to more questions.

Apologize in advance for the length of this...
I have wanted to get a PPL since I was a young teenager (now 50). Even though the college I went to had pilot classes (actually degrees), between the time and money suck, I couldn't do it.

Over the last couple of years I thought "I'll do it when I retire" (solves the time problem). But I recently started thinking that I'll be 65 (at least) when that happens, and I don't know that that's realistic.

I still have two kids in HS, and work 830-5 M-F. I get the occasional weekend and weekday evening requirements (including watching the kids participate in sports).

I've googled periodically what my options for training are, and none of them jump out as a "perfect" solution, but I don't know where to go from here and would like some guidance/suggestions.

Option 1
I live in the same county as the college I graduated from. I thought about going back and just taking the classes to get me to a PPL, but not a degree. The classroom work would be about 15-20 minutes from home, flight would be about 25-30 min from home. The bad point is I'd have to be excused from work to attend the classes, and I don't know if they do "after hours" flight training. I've emailed the department, but haven't gotten a response.

Option 2
At the commercial airport serving the town I work (about 20 minutes from work and 45 minutes from home-- opposite direction of airport in Option 1) is a flight school. They use DA20s as trainers. I don't know if that's a big deal or not. They're about $500 more (not counting extra hours) than Option 1.

Option 3
The local flying club has a list of folks (14) who have "expressed an interest" in instruction. They are listed as "CFII", "MEI", "A SEL", and "A SES". They all list the aircraft (ranging from C-152, C-172, Archer, and DA40) and their emails. Sending a blind email to people doesn't seem right either though to me. I've emailed the club and haven't heard anything back. I don't know how to narrow down flight instructors this way.

What do you recommend I do at this point? I'm waiting for my boss to get back from vacation and ask him about taking the college classes (if he'll let me off of work).

Am I tilting at windmills? Am I too old? Will I put in all of this money and then not use the license? I wish I had someone to talk to. My wife isn't discouraging, but she said she won't fly with me (she doesn't like small airplanes... even small commuter planes make her nervous).

Thank you if you've read this far.

You're not too old... currently pursuing my PPL at 59 after putting it off for over 30 years... and I'm having the time of my life finally chasing that life long dream. I woke up one day last August and decided that I wasn't getting any younger. it wasn't getting any cheaper, there's not a better day than today to get started. I located a privateer CFI with his own plane and started flying the following week. I'm about halfway there and so far staying under budget.

My course was to first dedicate the funds to go start to finish. 95% of people who start their PPL fail to achieve it and the most common stopper is running out of money. Once you get started you need to keep moving forward without interruption. Every time you stall out and have to build up funds it costs you extra flight hours to get back to where you were and then start advancing forward. In todays environment you can expect to spend somewhere approaching $10,000 by the time you're done. I put $10K in the safe with another $5K backing it just in case, money will not be my stopper.

You can order a flight training kit (I got mine from Gleim) and start all your ground school work yourself for about $150 and be preparing for the airman's knowledge test you will have to eventually pass before you can attain your PPL.

Another consideration for us more mature folks is your medical. You will have to have a Class 3 medical certification to go solo and beyond in your flight training. Some of us older students have them old issues and it can be a challenge to get the M3 behind you.

You will find it challenging, sometimes frustrating, but very rewarding. Of all the licenses and certifications I have held in life, this is the one that I'm really having to earn it. It's one of those things that if you really want to do it, you'll figure out the time and finances and get it done. My only regret was waiting as long as I did.

Only you can answer some of your questions, bottom line is flight is something that's a very personal experience. If you're lucky you have someone to share it with. My wife wasn't wild about this deal at all, but has warmed up to it. She will fly with me and as I know her she will love it. Would she ever want to get licensed, no, she just doesn't have to temperament to handle the training, she'd fall to pieces. Will I use it, not practically, but I will fly for fun and recreation to explore my surroundings. I did wind up with a plane. It wasn't really planned but it happened in a way I couldn't pass up, but it's going to be nice having the freedom to hop in anytime on my schedule and go.

Last edited:
First, I apologize if this topic has been covered (I'm sure it has). I did not do a search, but went back a couple of pages, and found this thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/what-would-you-look-for-in-a-flight-school.130476/

I have wanted to get a PPL since I was a young teenager (now 50). Even though the college I went to had pilot classes (actually degrees), between the time and money suck, I couldn't do it.

Over the last couple of years I thought "I'll do it when I retire" (solves the time problem). But I recently started thinking that I'll be 65 (at least) when that happens, and I don't know that that's realistic.

I still have two kids in HS, and work 830-5 M-F. I get the occasional weekend and weekday evening requirements (including watching the kids participate in sports).

I've googled periodically what my options for training are, and none of them jump out as a "perfect" solution, but I don't know where to go from here and would like some guidance/suggestions.

Option 1
I live in the same county as the college I graduated from. I thought about going back and just taking the classes to get me to a PPL, but not a degree. The classroom work would be about 15-20 minutes from home, flight would be about 25-30 min from home. The bad point is I'd have to be excused from work to attend the classes, and I don't know if they do "after hours" flight training. I've emailed the department, but haven't gotten a response.

Option 2
At the commercial airport serving the town I work (about 20 minutes from work and 45 minutes from home-- opposite direction of airport in Option 1) is a flight school. They use DA20s as trainers. I don't know if that's a big deal or not. They're about $500 more (not counting extra hours) than Option 1.

Option 3
The local flying club has a list of folks (14) who have "expressed an interest" in instruction. They are listed as "CFII", "MEI", "A SEL", and "A SES". They all list the aircraft (ranging from C-152, C-172, Archer, and DA40) and their emails. Sending a blind email to people doesn't seem right either though to me. I've emailed the club and haven't heard anything back. I don't know how to narrow down flight instructors this way.

What do you recommend I do at this point? I'm waiting for my boss to get back from vacation and ask him about taking the college classes (if he'll let me off of work).

Am I tilting at windmills? Am I too old? Will I put in all of this money and then not use the license? I wish I had someone to talk to. My wife isn't discouraging, but she said she won't fly with me (she doesn't like small airplanes... even small commuter planes make her nervous).

Thank you if you've read this far.

“...They all list the aircraft (ranging from C-152, C-172, Archer, and DA40) and their emails. Sending a blind email to people doesn't seem right either though to me. I've emailed the club and haven't heard anything back...”
Email them. They posted their emails for a reason. They want you to email them. That ain’t ‘blind.’

"CFII", "MEI", "A SEL", and "A SES"

CFII - flight instructor who can teach anything single engine AND can teach instrument (not allowed to look outside)
MEI - flight instructor who can teach single engine AND multi-engine
SEL - single engine airplane
SES - single engine seaplane

DA20 - smaller version of the DA40

Why not blind email? In fact, call them and ask for details. You're the customer, you make the decisions.

As for the medical - definitely deal with that before any serious instruction. You can find the FAA form online. Now, do NOT take the form or the magic number to the aviation doctor (the AME) for a medical certificate. Take a copy of the form and when you make the appointment, be very specific that it's for a CONSULTATION, and NOT the actual Class 3 medical. If they won't do a consult, find another AME.

During the consult, you'll find out if you can get the Class 3 medical with no problems or if you need to get your doctor(s) involved with paperwork and such. When you finally got to the AME for the Class 3 exam, you do not want any surprises.

No to being to old...

Tell us where in the country you are. We might be able to comment on the places you have looked at. We might also be able to recommend others

Regardless of school, success in training comes down to the ability to mesh well with your instructor. So before you commit with time and money, have a conversation or two with the person you are going to be paired with to see if it is a good match, both on the person side, and their ability to teach to the way you learn. Perhaps even spend for a discovery flight to audition them.

If a good match, wonderful! If not, but you like the school, speak to the chief instructor about being paired with someone else.

For primary training, which airplane isn’t that big of a deal. As long as it is safe, there is little difference training for primary between the lowest cost aircraft and the most expensive. The utility of the more expensive comes into play later in your progression.

The advice about getting your medical certificate sorted early is valid. Follow it.

The FAQ for Reddit’s r/flying sub may answer additional questions or help you frame more for us.

I don't have the money built up (something always gets in the way), but could spread it out over some months.

As for the medical - definitely deal with that before any serious instruction. You can find the FAA form online. Now, do NOT take the form or the magic number to the aviation doctor (the AME) for a medical certificate. Take a copy of the form and when you make the appointment, be very specific that it's for a CONSULTATION, and NOT the actual Class 3 medical. If they won't do a consult, find another AME.

During the consult, you'll find out if you can get the Class 3 medical with no problems or if you need to get your doctor(s) involved with paperwork and such. When you finally got to the AME for the Class 3 exam, you do not want any surprises.
I'm sorry, I'm not following. Fortunately, aside from being overweight by about 25-30 pounds, I'm pretty healthy. No lung, heart, or any other problems (aside from sleep apnea and terrible uncorrected eyesight (normally wear contacts).

Tell us where in the country you are. We might be able to comment on the places you have looked at. We might also be able to recommend others
Central Ky. Commercial airport (and where the flying club and flight school is based) is KLEX (Lexington, KY). The university has their airplanes based at KRGA (Central Kentucky Regional Airport)

Working full time with kids are home, the flexibility of a freelance instructor (option 3) might be your best bet. But talk about his schedule, too. Yes, you can (and should) blind email (or telephone) them.

At the same time, contact the option 2 school and ask about a "discovery flight" (introductory lesson).

Finally, think about what kind of flying you're interested in, what you want out of flying. Though that may change as you learn, or may affect what is the best fit instructor and/or airplane.

I don't have the money built up (something always gets in the way), but could spread it out over some months.

I'm sorry, I'm not following. Fortunately, aside from being overweight by about 25-30 pounds, I'm pretty healthy. No lung, heart, or any other problems (aside from sleep apnea and terrible uncorrected eyesight (normally wear contacts).

What he’s talking about is once you officially apply for a Medical, if they find something wrong it can be a nightmare getting it cleared up through the FAA’s red tape. Getting the consultation first allows you to deal with anything they find, get it cleared up and then go apply for and get the Medical officially

Your definition of healthy is NOT the FAA's version of healthy. Sleep apnea is a flag to the FAA.

As a beginner in this process you need to learn and understand the FAA's motto:

We're not happy until you're not happy.

As for the medical, you can download details at

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=faa+medical+form

Pretend you're applying for the class 3 medical. Pay DETAILED attention to question 18. The question is "Have you ever...?" This is why we recommend a consult and not go directly to the class 3 exam.

Step 1. Get a 3rd class medical. There isn't much point in doing anything else if you can't get a medical.
Next I would email all the flying club CFI's. Joining a flying club will usually provide the most flexibility in terms of schedule and will often be the cheapest option available.

What he’s talking about is once you officially apply for a Medical, if they find something wrong it can be a nightmare getting it cleared up through the FAA’s red tape. Getting the consultation first allows you to deal with anything they find, get it cleared up and then go apply for and get the Medical officially
I got that. What I don't understand is how to handle the conversation with the AME... "I'm interested in getting a PPL, but before doing the full medical exam want to see if there are any red flags"?

I got that. What I don't understand is how to handle the conversation with the AME... "I'm interested in getting a PPL, but before doing the full medical exam want to see if there are any red flags"?

Couldn’t have put it any better. Except maybe say before applying to the FAA instead of ‘full medical exam.’ He’ll pretty much have to that to find any red flags.

Looks like you understand to me. Sleep apnea is an issue, but not a deal breaker, you need to wear your device and present logs proving you did. Sounds like you don't have other issues assuming your vision is 20/20 when corrected. Other things that can be a problem are dui, drug issues, mental issues, adhd. If you have non of that you should be good.

A couple of additional thoughts:
Are you certain the university option will train students that are not part of the degree program? Many (most) do not accept "outside" students. And, I'd guess this option would certainly be the least flexible. The club scenario, as mentioned, may provide the most flexible program, adaptable to your scheduling requirements.
OK, the sleep apnea, though not a show-stopper, will require some hoops to jump through, I don't recall detail, but maybe records of sleep study and several months of CPAP use records, I'm not sure. At any rate, the AME consult visit will clarify the necessary steps. Beyond that, just go for it!

OK, the sleep apnea, though not a show-stopper, will require some hoops to jump through, I don't recall detail, but maybe records of sleep study and several months of CPAP use records,
That’s pretty much it.

Record and report from the CPAP chip of at least past 90-days usage (more is better) showing a minimum of 6-hours per night of use. The OSCAR report generator is one of the simplest tools to read the chip and create the report. Just remember to change the compliance parameter to 6 hours as the default number is less.

Letter from doctor saying Sam Gordon appeared well rested, is not showing signs of fatigue or daytime sleepiness, and no evidence of right side heart failure on exam.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Does anyone know if you can use HSA $$ for the medical exam? My gut says "yes", but it's been wrong before. lol

I've downloaded CPAP reports to my tablet through the device's app, but I don't know that it's exportable from there.

I've downloaded CPAP reports to my tablet through the device's app, but I don't know that it's exportable from there.
Make sure the compliance threshold is set to 6hrs.

Many iPad apps are available to permit “sharing” as a PDF file.

The cost of an AME visit is low cost relative to what you spend elsewhere in the aviation world.

Am I tilting at windmills?
Not at all! If I can learn to fly a plane, so can you, haha!
Am I too old?
Nope. My dad started taking lessons in his 70's...
Will I put in all of this money and then not use the license?
Possibly. The money thing can be a sticky wicket. As others have mentioned, many people run out of money (or motivation) during training. Others earn a PPL and then lose the will to go spend more money using it. However, a PPL never expires. Sometimes people put flying on hold, and come back 20 years later and knock the rust off.

People here are warning you about the medical process, because there are things that "healthy" folks don't think of as being an issue but the FAA does. Besides the sleep apnea thing, there are other hidden gotchas, like being prescribed an anti-depressant or SSRI in the past for some condition, or a DUI from years ago... there are questions on the form that are phrased as "have you *ever in your life*..." So call your AME for a "consult" -- NO FAA PAPERWORK -- just to have an informal chat. If it means paying for two appointments rather than just one, it still may be money well spent. If the medical may be problematic, there are other options, such as "Sport Pilot", but those options are ONLY available if you have never submitted paperwork and been denied. (Welcome to aviation, where money must often be well spent!)

My university has an aviation program too, but it is only open to students working towards an aviation degree. They might also be less accommodating to an "evenings and weekends schedule". These are questions you'll just have to ask EKU.

Call the flight school and ask for a "discovery flight" -- a short lesson where you'll handle all the controls and can barrage your instructor with questions.

Call the instructors in the club. I'm sure they won't bite. Sometimes clubs are the cheapest way to train. There are upsides and downsides to all these options. If you're the type of person who can learn on your own and doesn't need a "school-like" structure to learn things, the club might be a comfortable sort of environment.

P.S. I stopped at KRGA on a cross-country last year to visit some friends in Waco (EKU professors)... seemed like a nice little airport. The ramp was dominated by the EKU planes, but they let me park there and were friendly. Don't know about KLEX, but it's going to be a much bigger airport (Class C), with a control tower and lots of talking to Air Traffic Control to get in and out. KRGA doesn't have a control tower. Not that it matters; you'll get training in both towered and non-towered operations however you do it.

Good luck!

A couple of additional thoughts:
Are you certain the university option will train students that are not part of the degree program? Many (most) do not accept "outside" students. And, I'd guess this option would certainly be the least flexible. The club scenario, as mentioned, may provide the most flexible program, adaptable to your scheduling requirements.
OK, the sleep apnea, though not a show-stopper, will require some hoops to jump through, I don't recall detail, but maybe records of sleep study and several months of CPAP use records, I'm not sure. At any rate, the AME consult visit will clarify the necessary steps. Beyond that, just go for it!
Depends entirely on the university. My school allows non-degree students (I'm one of them) as long as there's classroom space. The fire marshall's been cracking down the past few years.

you're only too old in your mind or if your body is falling apart. i started training in 1982, had to quit just before i was ready to solo due to my wide's skiing accident. didn't resume for many reasons until 30-yrs later when i earned my sport pilot cert. if you've got the means, the time and, most of all, the desire, i,say go for it.

Ground school on your own. Read at night, watch videos at night, study at night. No need for classroom. You’ll spend time on the ground with your instructor briefing and debriefing, and may sit down in an office with paper or white-board to learn or reiterate a few things. Take the written test sometime before you complete your flying lessons. That’s it.

Fly when your schedule and instructor’s schedule, and weather allow. Sometimes you could fly before work (daylight), sometimes after work, sometimes evening, and sometimes on a weekend. Flying club instructor or another free lancer would give you the most flexibility. Just vet the instructors by taking a flying lesson with a few. See if you can contact a former student of theirs.

Don’t pay for a block of time up front.

Determine about 10-20 hours in if you’re being “milked” for hours.

I just have some general comments.

Don't wait. You're not to old. It took my father's accidental death to remind me life is uncertain. I started training the next year and was 48 when I passed my checkride.

I understand family responsibilities, but you must make earning your PPL a priority. You can't do it well in your spare time. I have a friend, just about your age with two teenage kids into various sports. He has talked about training for a decade, but his life is not his own. If you can't carve out the required time, you will spend more, take longer, and may not finish.

Having scheduled lessons at specific days and times is important or you will flounder, playing catch up every lesson. My suggestion is two scheduled lessons a week. I was working long hours during my training and I only scheduled one lesson a week. It likely took me longer to solo, and a full year to get my certificate. Once you solo and are signed off, you can fly more and things may speed up for you. They did for me.

Good luck!

Never too old. I also went to a college that offered a Professional Pilot degree and logged about 20 hours before I ran out of money and changed my major to business. I never lost the bug and looked up every single time I heard a plane. I finally decided at 55 to fulfill my dream and passed my checkride almost 2 1/2 years ago. Go for it! You won't regret it, I certainly haven't.

I earned my Private certificate at the age of 57. Of course you’re not too old! Be forewarned, though: new motor skills take longer to pick up than when we were younger, so be patient with yourself and expect things like landings to take some time to learn.

This is offset, though, by some benefits of life experience, maturity, and self awareness that come with age. You may find that the book work comes easier for you if you’ve figured out how you learn best. Maturity may help you make better decisions. You may have more confidence that allows you to admit your weaknesses and address them with your CFI.

So what are you waiting for? Get started!

Ground school on your own. Read at night, watch videos at night, study at night. No need for classroom. You’ll spend time on the ground with your instructor briefing and debriefing, and may sit down in an office with paper or white-board to learn or reiterate a few things. Take the written test sometime before you complete your flying lessons. That’s it.

Fly when your schedule and instructor’s schedule, and weather allow. Sometimes you could fly before work (daylight), sometimes after work, sometimes evening, and sometimes on a weekend. Flying club instructor or another free lancer would give you the most flexibility. Just vet the instructors by taking a flying lesson with a few. See if you can contact a former student of theirs.

Don’t pay for a block of time up front.

Determine about 10-20 hours in if you’re being “milked” for hours.

I quoted this answer just because it's my favorite one from the bunch.

I am very similar to you, Sam. 49 years old, married, kid in high school, 3 dogs, full-time job. Age is not a problem so move on from that hurdle. The biggest obstacle I heard about when I began interviewing instructors was my scheduling issues. Basically, I will have to commit to lessons on every Sunday, plus one weekday a week, and a third day was actually recommended as ideal. I don't think I can pull off that third day though. Two is doable with a third squeezed in now and then. Because I have a super busy job where I am working all kinds of crazy hours, on weekends if needed, the trade-off is that I can probably "flex" my schedule a bit to fit at least one lesson in during the week.

However, a lesson consisting of only 1.5 hours of flight time might require up to 3 hours of time out of your day. Be mindful of this. Because I'm dropping a kid off at school, this will mean one morning per week when I am reaching the airport at 8am, pre-flight briefing, inspection, and waiting for take-off (which can be slow) before we're up in the air. I will not be able to start work until 11am on that day, every week.

The advice above to finish ground school online and on your own is spot on. As you can tell from my experience, any opportunity to save yourself time where you're not needed in person at the flight school is invaluable. Get your ground school knowledge from your house, not a classroom, given your circumstances.

This is all very helpful. Anyone who has more (or even the same) suggestions/information, please keep posting. I want to do this so bad, and getting some support, but not where it counts (family). :( I don't know. I feel like I need to give up my dream. There's just always something preventing me (ie: taking up the money)... home repairs, kids' activities, kids' schooling, etc.

I'll get excited every time I start researching, then get "drug back to earth". I've got the time and the desire, but without family support (not talking about them giving me money, but the wife being supportive/willing), I just don't know if/when I'll get to do this.

I started at age 59 after life’s obligations came down to just my wife and I. I had no issues with the medical and no health issues. Based on info other pilots gave me I set aside $12,000 to cover plane rental, instructor, ground school, materials, test fees, etc. During my training a high percentage of students dropped out when they ran out of money not having saved up ahead of time. My total cost was around $10,000. Best to schedule every weekend or more. I think the average is 60 hours from start to finish. I hit it in 61 hours and exactly 1 year from first lesson to my check ride. Here in the north east (New Jersey) the weather does not allow for 52 weeks of good weather. Beside weather also take into account family obligations on the weekends and other events that will cut into your weekends. This should be treated as a full time job. Any lapses will only cost more time and money re-learning between periods on non-activity. Also keep the end in sight. There will be many times you will just not “get it” right away. Eventually you will so don’t get frustrated. Many times the force was not just with me. A good instructor will make it fun and recognize stress and break the cycle. At one point I was struggling and my instructor would took me up in his airplane as what he called just friends going for a flight (off the clock). They were the greatest flights and hard to even put a price on it. That first solo will be quite a rush!

Another question (thank you for your patience and advice)

Regarding Ground School... is it better to complete it before starting flight training? Better to do them simultaneously or does it not matter?

Another question (thank you for your patience and advice)

Regarding Ground School... is it better to complete it before starting flight training? Better to do them simultaneously or does it not matter?

Some practical experience will clarify parts of the book learning. I think it’s best to do them simultaneously.

Personally, I did self-study rather than a formal school. But learn in whatever manner works best for you.

Self study is fine. But as said, doing it coincidental to flight lessons will improve not just the rote, but also the understanding, application, and correlation

So I advocate for “as you go”. Keep in mind ultimate deadline is your practical exam... so plan accordingly

I'm doing ground school simultaneously and can see the correlation as I progress. Unfortunately I'm behind on my book learnin compared to my yoke time.

This is all very helpful. Anyone who has more (or even the same) suggestions/information, please keep posting. I want to do this so bad, and getting some support, but not where it counts (family). :( I don't know. I feel like I need to give up my dream. There's just always something preventing me (ie: taking up the money)... home repairs, kids' activities, kids' schooling, etc.

I'll get excited every time I start researching, then get "drug back to earth". I've got the time and the desire, but without family support (not talking about them giving me money, but the wife being supportive/willing), I just don't know if/when I'll get to do this.
Have you taken a discovery flight yet? If not, I think you should do that first. Go ahead and get a taste of what it is you're wanting to do!

I think this will give you a better perspective on how to proceed. It doesn't cost that much, you have no obligation to sign up or commit to the flight 'school' and its a great way to find out if you enjoy it. No medical required for this.

However, the instructor you get can make a big difference, so you may have to try a couple. It took me two discovery flights to get hooked.

The first one, the instructor basically did everything and let me take the controls in straight and level, maybe some gentle S turns and that was it(I would say less than 5 min at the controls). This is NOT what it should be. While I enjoyed the flight, I felt like a passenger and the flight left me underwhelmed.

The second one at another FBO, totally different. The instructor walked me through a pre-flight, had me do the taxi, even the takeoff. He demonstrated some basic maneuvers. He had me hold lightly on the controls while he did the landing. It was night and day compared to the other 'sight seeing' flight. He put me to work, and it was awesome.

It may help if when you are scheduling it, frame it as more of a 'first hour of flight training' vs. a 'discovery flight'.

Anyway, good luck, if you want to, you can do it.

On weekends or pretty days, hang around small airports out in the country and talk to plane owners and pilots. You might get invited to go up and you can learn a lot just from going up and watching and listening to radio calls.
Get your 3rd class medical now—you will have to have it at least once then go to Basic Med. if you fail it, game over and you haven’t spent much money...
OR if you have health conditions that may fail you, go with Sport Pilot!

Hey Sam,

I can’t speak to all of your concerns, but I can tell you what my path has been. I’m 31/married, I have an almost 3 year old, and a few month old baby. I’ve always wanted to fly, but until the last couple years, it wasn’t going to be possible to pay my way through, start to finish in a reasonable amount of time and stay married. Since my first son was born, the tables began to turn where I suddenly was finding myself with more money than time for the first time in my life. Still, probably not enough to justify a ppl, but I was getting there. By the time my second son came a few months ago, I definitely had barely any time, but I had money. I usually get a season pass to the local ski hill and snowboard after work a couple times a week, and my wife, being ignorant to the time commitment involved with PPL training, thought it sounded like a fair compromise to take a year off of snowboarding in exchange for flight lessons.

After doing research and forcing myself to take the first step “reaching out” I had my discovery flight a couple weeks after my second was born and I was hooked, albeit a bit nauseous. I knew I wanted to wait to jump in until I had my physical handled, I’m healthy, but I’m also paranoid. It took about 2 weeks for that to get figured out, and I was off to the races.

I was able to sneak in lessons, or at least schedule them several times a week, with Saturdays being a constant, and weekdays as my schedule allowed. Having a wife who was feeling good, and on maternity leave helped tremendously. Wisconsin winter has been tough to deal with as my cancellation rate has been through the roof at times, but all you can do is schedule and cross your fingers. It has been hard and I have had to stay on top of it, but it’s also been an incredibly rewarding experience thus far. This would have never been possible without my wife’s support.

I am now at around 44 hours, I have all my requirements and we are doing mock check rides to get me ready. I passed my written exam a couple weeks ago, and if this awful wind will ever die down, I will hopefully be taking my check ride very soon. I too was ignorant of the commitment that this would take, but in a way, that probably helped me take the leap. I did the Gleim ground school, and had to really clamp down for about a month for several hours most nights after the boys were in bed. It’s not hard stuff, it’s just a lot of stuff. You can certainly do it, it’s just a matter of how bad you want it. I would highly recommend having a financial plan in place, because with how much you are going to have to focus on, the stress of trying to come up with cash on the fly is just something you don’t need. I have heard there are financing options available, but I cannot speak to them or if they’re advisable. I have been flying constantly, and I start to freak out if I go more than a few days without getting in the air. I really believe that if I wasn’t flying as much, this process would take twice as long and cost much more than it already has. Would I start over and do it again knowing what I know now? Absolutely! Good luck, you can do it!

Lots of good advice and suggestions here, Sam. You are definitely not too old and are not tilting at windmills. There are quite a few folks who do "put in all this money and then not use the license." I know several and it is unfortunate when that happens. It kind of depends on how you define "use the license." I use mine as often as I can but not to go anywhere important. And folks here love to "talk" aviation. :)

I started taking lessons when I was about 43 or so, worked full time, had two kids in high school and didn't have the money put aside but instead paid as I went. I used an independent CFI who was a super nice guy and loved teaching. My approach to learning was I was doing it for fun and if it stopped being fun, i would stop. I was not working on an airline career or anything like that. I had fun. I was not able to fly two or three times a week, usually only once a week. The weather plays a big part, and unless your schedule is pretty flexible, there will be weeks you won't be able to fly at all. I think if you work hard at learning, missing a few hours in the air isn't the end of the world. There are even arguments that taking a little longer isn't a bad thing.

I finally got the PPL (about 26 years ago) and went on to get my instrument rating following the same general path. I sometimes wonder now whether or not it is worthwhile to own an airplane (we are on our second one) and often toy with the idea of selling it. My wife loves to fly with me, but unfortunately is not physically able anymore. I fly almost exclusively by myself, and only locally, spending most of my flying time working on proficiency stuff but also just enjoying the sights. Everytime I get airborn, I am reminded of why I stuck it out and still fly whenever I can. There is nothing else like it.

Others have mentioned the Sport Pilot license, which you may want to look into. You still have to take flying lessons and pass a written test, but you don't have to go through all the required FAA gyrations for a Class III medical. Right now, the airplanes you can fly are restricted to fairly light weight, but if what I have heard is true, the FAA will likely soon expand that list to include the airplanes that most of us here fly. I would recommend learning at a non-towered field if you can just because you will probably have more time in the air most days instead of holding on the ground, etc.

Good luck in persuing your dream. Just know it can be done!

@Sam Gordon -- Do the 3rd class consult. ~$100. If there's any thought of an issue say thank you and go Sport Pilot. Medical issue solved.

If they green light you for the 3rd class you're good to go. When the 3rd expires switch to Basic Med. Easy.

And in case you wonder, the main differences between Sport and PPL are night flying and eventual IFR. Probably not a big issue for hobbyists.

Others have mentioned the Sport Pilot license, which you may want to look into. You still have to take flying lessons and pass a written test, but you don't have to go through all the required FAA gyrations for a Class III medical. Right now, the airplanes you can fly are restricted to fairly light weight, but if what I have heard is true, the FAA will likely soon expand that list to include the airplanes that most of us here fly.

I wouldn't bet on that weight increase coming soon, but that doesn't mean that Sport Pilot isn't a decent option if there are Light Sport Aircraft available in your area. They are capable airplanes, and with a SP license you can carry one passenger during daylight VFR conditions anywhere in the US and the Bahamas. PLUS, the training isn't wasted as you can count your SP training toward your Private license if you later decide to upgrade.

Many people start training for their Private ticket but never finish. If you do your training in an LSA, you can take a checkride part way through and at least lock in a SP license even if you never finish the Private.

Somorris brings up a great point, I probably should have been clear that your training schedule should be based on your individual goals and that there isn’t necessarily a wrong way to go about it. For me, I wanted to try to get my initial training done as quickly as I could based on my schedule. I would like to eventually work on an instrument rating, so PPL was the way that I went, but as mentioned, if that isn’t a big deal to you, a sport pilot license may be a good option, and you can tell your wife that you’re making a “compromise”. Gotta work any angle you can!

Back