Is BAS the only inertia reel option for certified planes?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I’m looking to upgrade the 3-point belts in the 182 to actual harnesses. It seems that BAS is the only option for the inertia reel type for certified planes and boy are they proud of them (4x the cost of a basic 4-point harness).

Are there any other inertia reel options out there? It would be neat to be able to work the fuel selector without having to mess with the shoulder belts.

thx

only option for the inertia reel type for certified planes
No. But as I recall BAS has a more extensive installation approval listing than others which is the main cost driver and a requirement to sell them in that manner. Regardless, there's guidance available for you to procure your own "approved/acceptable" seat-belt assy and install it either via a major or minor alteration depending on what airframe modifications, if any, are needed to install the belts. Check with your APIA to get their input and what they're willing to sign off.

Last edited:
What component suppliers would one select for this method?

No. But as I recall BAS has a more extensive installation approval listing than others which is the main cost driver and a requirement to sell them in that manner. Regardless, there's guidance available for you to procure your own "approved/acceptable" seat-belt assy and install it either via a major or minor alteration depending on what airframe modifications, if any, are needed to install the belts. Check with your APIA to get their input and what they're willing to sign off.

I ended up putting BAS shoulder belts in my 170, but I did find Alpha Aviation had an inertial reel 3 point system. I asked around on the 170 forum and it didn't seem like anyone had gone that route so I had no feedback. Looks simple to install, but not much cheaper than BAS. I was worried about being annoyed having it across my neck like I see in quite a few planes.

https://alphaaviation.com/cessna-100-series-stc-stc-sa02211ch/

What component suppliers would one select for this method?
If by "method" you mean installing them as a major/minor alteration then there are a number of aircraft belt suppliers out there to include repurposing existing OEM belts from other types of airplanes and helicopters. AMSafe, Aircraft Belts Inc, Aircraft Spruce, and the salvage yards are several examples of belt suppliers. But the place to start is to get with your mechanic and determine if the alteration is a major or minor alteration. Best to review AC43.13-2B, Chapter 9 and AC21-34 to see how that guidance applies to your specific installation. Once you determine the major or minor route, then you can look for a seat belt system that will fit your need to include having some custom made.

I’m cheap. But I paid for the BAS and didn’t care how much they cost after flying with them the first time. Worth it, relative to other aviation stuff.

Alpha is a better solution. Because it goes diagonally across your chest, the end of the shoulder strap attaches at the side rather than in the center. Attaching in the center promotes the “submarining effect,” which means the shoulder straps pull up on the lap belt, allowing the wearer to slide underneath, with a possibility of organ injury from the belt, and all kinds of injuries from sliding into and under the panel. And many people wear their BAS belts too loose across the lap. Notice almost any YouTube video in a Cirrus. The buckles are commonly at about the wearers’ navels.

Here’s a video:

How about in the event of a crash and rollover or an impact that isn’t straight in? Seems that 4-points would be much better in keeping you in place if you end up making an emergency landing off field and it doesn’t go perfectly.

based on the concept below it would seem that a crotch belt would be the answer.

interesting stuff

Alpha is a better solution. Because it goes diagonally across your chest, the end of the shoulder strap attaches at the side rather than in the center. Attaching in the center promotes the “submarining effect,” which means the shoulder straps pull up on the lap belt, allowing the wearer to slide underneath, with a possibility of organ injury from the belt, and all kinds of injuries from sliding into and under the panel. And many people wear their BAS belts too loose across the lap. Notice almost any YouTube video in a Cirrus. The buckles are commonly at about the wearers’ navels.

Here’s a video:

A crotch strap is the answer. Actually, an air bag is the answer.

As to the rollover, etc., the BAS isn’t a “4-point” by any stretch. The “points” are counted at the attachments to the airframe, so BAS is a 3-point, with one of the straps split to encircle the wearer’s neck. Notice how so many people put sheepskin pads on the BAS where the straps rub their necks. That’s the spot where the BAS would exert pressure in a side impact. So, your body slings sideways under the lap belt while your neck is held stationary. I haven’t seen any real data, but ISTM that this is asking for a broken neck.

My understanding is that a cause of death in many crashes is blunt force trauma to the head from impact. Assuming that forward and downward momentum are the directions (vectors), any belt that keeps your face from contacting the panel/glare shield and core/body from impacting a yoke will help.

The at-rest retraction of the BAS is not as strong as whatever is in the Cirrus. The weight of the lap belt is enough to keep the belt low across the lap (vs at-rest Cirrus interior pics in for-sale ads). However, you do need to keep it tight like any belt to do it’s job.

I haven’t seen any real data, but ISTM that this is asking for a broken neck.
FWIW: in the accident data I've seen in my limited experiences, the issue of neck/head injuries is not a direct connection to the seatbelt design as it is the lack of restraint of the head to the body. This is the main reason for the HANS device in motorsports. While the use of shoulder harness reduced a large number of injuries, your head is still free to go places your body can't now.

A crotch strap is the answer. Actually, an air bag is the answer.

As to the rollover, etc., the BAS isn’t a “4-point” by any stretch. The “points” are counted at the attachments to the airframe, so BAS is a 3-point, with one of the straps split to encircle the wearer’s neck. Notice how so many people put sheepskin pads on the BAS where the straps rub their necks. That’s the spot where the BAS would exert pressure in a side impact. So, your body slings sideways under the lap belt while your neck is held stationary. I haven’t seen any real data, but ISTM that this is asking for a broken neck.

I had not considered the risk of my plane being T-boned when I chose BAS.

I had not considered the risk of my plane being T-boned when I chose BAS.

I’m no expert on crash physics but it seems reasonable that if one is to attempt a forced landing in anything other than a field there is a possibility to clip a wing on a tree, light pole, etc which while not getting t-boned would result in an impact other than straight in.

How about in the event of a crash and rollover or an impact that isn’t straight in? Seems that 4-points would be much better in keeping you in place if you end up making an emergency landing off field and it doesn’t go perfectly.

based on the concept below it would seem that a crotch belt would be the answer.

interesting stuff

My Husky is equipped with dual shoulder straps and a crotch belt. If it didn't come that way I would have added it, especially given the off field places it goes.

Back