Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

New youtube video, explains "secondary minimums".

New youtube video, explains "secondary minimums".

Oh, I gotta watch this one. I have been using secondary minimums as part of my IR vocab ever since watching that video where he mentions it.

I’ll admit to watching Jerry’s videos for entertainment. But wish he would dispense with the extraneous sound clips.

I love watching the videos and play "IFR Fails" Bingo. This last one had a few of them... :) The big one is the Secondary Minimums of course.
In all seriousness, I use it to validate what I would have done, from radio work to avionics setup, etc. If I'm not sure, I pause the video and google to topic or find the AIM reference. I learn every time! ;)

I couldn't get through it. Where's the explanation?

I understood secondary minimums the first time he did it. It's pretty inconsequential. I found the one just before this one more interesting. He gets a basic "6 miles from ENCOL. Turn left heading 150, Maintain 2100 until established on the final approach course, cleared for..." He responds with "direct ENCOL, maintain 2100" never turns to 150 and ends up paralleling the FAC. There is a comment thread where he first says he was given "Direct ENCOL, maintain 2100 until ENCOL" and then explains that he chose not to fly the instruction because he was to busy fly a heading to intercept.

Fortunately he catches it and intercepts far enough outside of ENCOL for the glidepath to couple.

BTW, the best part of the video isn't Jerry. Its another flight which checks in with "Descending via...the thing with the 'A'".

upload_2021-3-22_14-54-58.png

Last edited:
I have never taken part in the Jerry bashing, God knows I've made plenty of mistakes, thankfully they aren't all available on youtube!

Spoiler alert.....close your eyes if you'd rather see it in the video. His secondary minimums are the straight in RNAV 7 minimums. But, when cleared for an approach you're cleared to land a specific runway. So, in the case of the "secondary minimums" video he was cleared for the RNAV 7 approach , circle to land runway 25. So he was cleared to land on 25, not 7. So, I don't think it would be "perfectly legal". You can't just decide which runway to land.

Now, admittedly I don't remember what his clearance was on the original video.

I have never taken part in the Jerry bashing, God knows I've made plenty of mistakes, thankfully they aren't all available on youtube!

Spoiler alert.....close your eyes if you'd rather see it in the video. His secondary minimums are the straight in RNAV 7 minimums. But, when cleared for an approach you're cleared to land a specific runway. So, in the case of the "secondary minimums" video he was cleared for the RNAV 7 approach , circle to land runway 25. So he was cleared to land on 25, not 7. So, I don't think it would be "perfectly legal". You can't just decide which runway to land.

Now, admittedly I don't remember what his clearance was on the original video.
Actually you can. ATC does not assign runways at nontowered airports. It's up to the pilot which runway to use and whether or not to circle. The approach clearance here was, "Cross CITXU at or about 3,000. Cleared straight in RNAV 7 Approach." "Straight in" in the approach clearance refers to a straight in approach – no procedure turn at CUTXU – , not a runway assignment.

Actually you can. ATC does not assign runways at nontowered airports. It's up to the pilot which runway to use and whether or not to circle. The approach clearance here was, "Cross CITXU at or about 3,000. Cleared straight in RNAV 7 Approach." "Straight in" in the approach clearance refers to a straight in approach – no procedure turn at CUTXU – , not a runway assignment.

Well that clears that up! Thanks. The couple of times I've done circle to land approaches I've requested it.

Well that clears that up! Thanks. The couple of times I've done circle to land approaches I've requested it.
You're not the only one who has done that. It's actually not a bad idea to tell ATC you might circle. If you are not in a position to cancel in the air, it basically tells ATC not to expect that cancellation phone call too soon.

Planning on both circling and straight in based what you see when you break out.

But didn't the approach he did originally where he said secondary, not have them? And from what I remember he didn't circle, so how is that "secondary" ?

But didn't the approach he did originally where he said secondary, not have them? And from what I remember he didn't circle, so how is that "secondary" ?
Secondary are the straight-in mins if he doesn’t see the runway in time to circle.

I'm working on my JFR certificate

Have you been practicing your 60* banking turn 2000' fpm descents to catch the GS and localizer? I hear that is one of the maneuvers on the checkride.

Have you been practicing your 60* banking turn 2000' fpm descents to catch the GS and localizer? I hear that is one of the maneuvers on the checkride.

Is there any other way to do them?

Is there any other way to do them?
Knife edge. Split S to final us also popular.

Edited to correct maneuver name. Formerly Immelman which would be hard to do to final unless to a flying aircraft carrier. Brain cramp.

Last edited:
From the JFH - "A stabilized approach is one in which the pilot establishes and maintains a constant 20* angle glidepath towards a predetermined point on the landing runway and is banking >60* while maintaining a >1,500 fpm descent rate."

From the JFH - "A stabilized approach is one in which the pilot establishes and maintains a constant 20* angle glidepath towards a predetermined point on the landing runway and is banking >60* while maintaining a >1,500 fpm descent rate."

RV flight manual?

Electric Johnson would be a great name for a band.
Electric Ray Johnson, Jr.

you an call him e-Ray
Or you can call him Electric Ray
Or you can call him e-Eay Johnny...

saluuuuga.jpg

Love this time of my life where the old guys laugh at my jokes and pop culture references and the young students give me the confused dog head tilt and wonder that the eff I’m taking about.

Love this time of my life where the old guys laugh at my jokes and pop culture references and the young students give me the confused dog head tilt and wonder that the eff I’m taking about.

What about the people that get the references but don't find them funny at all?

Back