VIDEO: CTSW Crash from Germany, 2 Injured

FlyingElvii

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
flyingElvii
Ok folks, I think this makes for a fine training video. Critique away!
How two got out of this with “minor” injuries is dumbfounding.

Can't remember ever feeling so helpless watching that video. It seemed to stretch every one of my muscles the wrong way.

BTW, I'm impressed with that airframe. That was quite an impact and deformation upon ground contact. And that's a spectacular nose high attitude too.

Now follow that through without the Tower being there. Probably would have resulted in a lawn dart accident with a very bad outcome. Tower gets a SAVE.

That looks like a very sleepy airport--I'm surprised they have a tower.
Germany has non-towered airports, right?

That looks like a very sleepy airport--I'm surprised they have a tower.
Germany has non-towered airports, right?

Yeah, pretty sleepy. Probably woke the Controller up:rofl: Maybe it's one them thar Remote Towers where the Controllers are somewhere else. That could explain the camera on the outside of the Tower recording that. If ya believe Foreflight, yeah, they got uncontrolled airports.

Note how the sock goes from calm to a gusty quartering tailwind right as he is touching down?

Is this the cause? Just a lightweight aircraft picked up and blown into the tower?

I don't think so. Based on the sock, winds looked quite calm. I think it was a combination of a too-high approach speed, not maintaining alignment with the runway, a gear-crushing bounce from not flaring soon enough and just generally running out of talent.

Lucky that it wasn't a fatal accident. The "tower save" comment was spot on.

He was out of energy so impact was low. Tower kept him from experiencing the fall.

Note how the sock goes from calm to a gusty quartering tailwind right as he is touching down?
I got burned by one of those, when I had low time. but didn't have quite the experience this guy had. It did cost me a propeller, however.

BTW, I'm impressed with that airframe. That was quite an impact and deformation upon ground contact. And that's a spectacular nose high attitude too.
Funny how my mind went in the opposite direction. I reasoned no pilot could be that bad so the explanation must be that the hard landing broke the flight controls. YMMV.

The old "Any landing you can limp away from is a good landing" landing.

I believe the Germans do require a controller at every field.

Back