[Rant] Some pilots...

Dana

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dana
Ya gotta wonder ‘bout some pilots...

I was coming back to the airport after a very pleasant after-work flight. Three guys in three airplanes (a C-170, a J-3, and my Hatz biplane) dropped in at a local private strip to visit the owner, then they went off to do their own thing and I flew down to the shoreline for a low and slow cruise along the beach on one of the first warm spring evenings. Always fun, everybody waves at a biplane.

Anyway, heading back to the airport from the south, there were a couple of planes in the pattern, the flying club Aeronca Champ was on downwind for 17, a C-150 called from 2 miles south for a downwind entry, and I was 4 miles south when I made my call saying I’d make a downwind entry for 17 behind the 150. Somebody else was farther out to the southeast on a 45. All normal, then the 150 announced he was on downwind, then that he was making a right 360 for spacing. OK, the Champ in front of him is slow, but not so slow that a 150 can’t stay behind it. But no big deal, I was far enough behind him, though I still didn’t see him.

I saw the Champ as he turned base and then final but still didn’t see the 150. Just when I was midfield downwind and about to push the mike button and ask where he was, he called base and I finally did see him … way to the north, about 3 miles. Grrrr. I was tempting to ask if he was logging cross country time, but I refrained. Most people here turn base between ½ and 1 mile out, and I like to keep it close because a biplane has the glide characteristics of a brick. OK, nobody behind me, I slow down and extend my downwind and I’m maybe 1½ miles north of the field when he passes me on final and I turn base behind him. He lands, using all of the 2700’ runway… in a 150?. I land, exit the runway at around the 600’ point without even trying, and taxi to the pumps while he’s on his way back from the other end, then he finishes taxiing back and pulls in behind me.

It was an older 150, looked to be in in nice unrestored shape so probably not a school plane, with two guys in it. Not local. Some idle chat about my plane while I’m fueling, I finish and then I turn my plane around to point it at the adequate space between the 150 and a twin parked on the ramp… and as I’m climbing in they push their plane forward, closing the gap where I could have taxied through (the fuel hose was plenty long enough to reach where they originally were). Grrrr again, I climb back out, turn my plane around the other way to go around the back side of the pumps, climb back in and start up, and taxi back to my hangar.

Grrrr.

Good rant.

He gave himself a 3 mile final... in a 150.... what did that take, like 2 hours? *** at the numbers *** "Red biplane turning base to final" *** 30 seconds later after 600' exit *** "Red biplane clear 17".... and the 150 still with two miles to go on final.

Obliviots. They are everywhere. Doing their own thing without regard for their impact on others. They are on your highway in the passing lane, passing nobody, they are leaving their cart smack center of the costco aisle while they read about the accessories included in some Karen-tech food processor, and they are in the self-checkout lane at the grocery store trying to divine what manner of hogwartsian witchcraft operates a barcode scanner.

We had 2 students in the pattern this weekend that couldn't handle a third entering ... and when I say in the pattern, one was on upwind and one turning base as I was entering the downwind. Upwind AC freaked out. Lots of non-essential non-aviation chatter between the 2 also:mad:

Obliviots. They are everywhere. Doing their own thing without regard for their impact on others. They are on your highway in the passing lane, passing nobody, they are leaving their cart smack center of the costco aisle while they read about the accessories included in some Karen-tech food processor, and they are in the self-checkout lane at the grocery store trying to divine what manner of hogwartsian witchcraft operates a barcode scanner.

Looking at their ADSB...

I had a guy blocking a taxiway where he was coming out of our hangars and I wanted to go in. I sat and waited for him to look up but for at least 5-7 minutes he was head down fiddling with something. It was the only time I wished I'd had an air horn installed in my airplane.

Ya gotta wonder ‘bout some pilots...

I was coming back to the airport after a very pleasant after-work flight. Three guys in three airplanes (a C-170, a J-3, and my Hatz biplane) dropped in at a local private strip to visit the owner, then they went off to do their own thing and I flew down to the shoreline for a low and slow cruise along the beach on one of the first warm spring evenings. Always fun, everybody waves at a biplane.

Anyway, heading back to the airport from the south, there were a couple of planes in the pattern, the flying club Aeronca Champ was on downwind for 17, a C-150 called from 2 miles south for a downwind entry, and I was 4 miles south when I made my call saying I’d make a downwind entry for 17 behind the 150. Somebody else was farther out to the southeast on a 45. All normal, then the 150 announced he was on downwind, then that he was making a right 360 for spacing. OK, the Champ in front of him is slow, but not so slow that a 150 can’t stay behind it. But no big deal, I was far enough behind him, though I still didn’t see him.

I saw the Champ as he turned base and then final but still didn’t see the 150. Just when I was midfield downwind and about to push the mike button and ask where he was, he called base and I finally did see him … way to the north, about 3 miles. Grrrr. I was tempting to ask if he was logging cross country time, but I refrained. Most people here turn base between ½ and 1 mile out, and I like to keep it close because a biplane has the glide characteristics of a brick. OK, nobody behind me, I slow down and extend my downwind and I’m maybe 1½ miles north of the field when he passes me on final and I turn base behind him. He lands, using all of the 2700’ runway… in a 150?. I land, exit the runway at around the 600’ point without even trying, and taxi to the pumps while he’s on his way back from the other end, then he finishes taxiing back and pulls in behind me.

It was an older 150, looked to be in in nice unrestored shape so probably not a school plane, with two guys in it. Not local. Some idle chat about my plane while I’m fueling, I finish and then I turn my plane around to point it at the adequate space between the 150 and a twin parked on the ramp… and as I’m climbing in they push their plane forward, closing the gap where I could have taxied through (the fuel hose was plenty long enough to reach where they originally were). Grrrr again, I climb back out, turn my plane around the other way to go around the back side of the pumps, climb back in and start up, and taxi back to my hangar.

Grrrr.

Frustrating for sure. We call that "Tuesday" at my field. :eek:

It was the only time I wished I'd had an air horn installed in my airplane.
The only time? There have been lots of time I wished I had a horn. Come to think of it, I have a set of truck air horns around somewhere... hmmmm...:devil:

The only time? There have been lots of time I wished I had a horn. Come to think of it, I have a set of truck air horns around somewhere... hmmmm...:devil:

Are we about to discuss some "Sky-rage'"?

Couldn't you cut 'em off in the pattern and turn the smoke on? Or give them a bit of wake turbulence after you dive in front from up high on their six?

Noooo ... I'd never do such things but (as they say) I'm asking for a friend. :dunno:

Are we about to discuss some "Sky-rage'"?

Couldn't you cut 'em off in the pattern and turn the smoke on? Or give them a bit of wake turbulence after you dive in front from up high on their six?

Noooo ... I'd never do such things but (as they say) I'm asking for a friend. :dunno:

Aviation equivalent of rolling coal? :)

Hah! If I'd turned base at the normal place and cut in front of him, I'd probably have been done fueling before he got to the pump.

The local charter outfit flies Senecas. Those guys probably would have cut him off.

This seems to contradict the thread espousing that being a pilot makes someone a better driver because they can multitask...

This seems to contradict the thread espousing that being a pilot makes someone a better driver because they can multitask...

How's that? It takes talent to give a bit of "wake turbulence" without getting too close ... or so I've been told. :p

Yah! Those harnyucks should have know better in the air and at the fuel pumps.

Back