Who left off the Airport info ?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
While I was flying last week I brought up my home airport , on foreflight, to look at the updated weather since I was still out of range for the ASOS. What really caught my eye was the missing CTAF frequency and the pilot controlled lighting symbol. I thought this was very odd. Once on the ground I went through all the approaches, and the AFD, nothing. I added a snip from another local airport, KGED, for comparison.

I called the airport manager and he has already received a few calls about the missing info. I'm wondering how does that just not make the cut? Just make sure you look over the info before you fly. Thankfully it is my home drome and I know the info, but on an IFR day, on a pilots first flight here, it could have been an issue.

OXB CTAF 1.jpg CTAF OXB 2.jpg CTAF OXB 3.jpgCTAF OXB 4.jpg

I believe airport managers receive an annual questionnaire asking if there’s changes, etc.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the letter got lost that somehow the data would get removed.

Of course nobody will pick up a thing called a phone these days to check.

Probably caused by a computer system, like everything else that gets screwed up.

Organizations (even FAA) have gone from thinking about their data and businesses to letting computers be smarter than the humans running them in just two generations.

Try getting any call center worker to do anything off-script or against whatever their computer says. Good luck.

We call it “customer service” when it’s really just “data entry” or what we used to call “keypunch” work.

I believe airport managers receive an annual questionnaire asking if there’s changes, etc.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the letter got lost that somehow the data would get removed.

Of course nobody will pick up a thing called a phone these days to check.

Probably caused by a computer system, like everything else that gets screwed up.

Organizations (even FAA) have gone from thinking about their data and businesses to letting computers be smarter than the humans running them in just two generations.

Try getting any call center worker to do anything off-script or against whatever their computer says. Good luck.

We call it “customer service” when it’s really just “data entry” or what we used to call “keypunch” work.

Not exactly, but we are supposed to keep our 5010 data up to date. I have seen data on 5010s or airport diagrams get randomly changed by the "system". We once had a taxiway suddenly show up as permanently closed on our airport diagram, and no one could explain why.

Not exactly, but we are supposed to keep our 5010 data up to date. I have seen data on 5010s or airport diagrams get randomly changed by the "system". We once had a taxiway suddenly show up as permanently closed on our airport diagram, and no one could explain why.

I bet the computer did it. LOL

I bet the computer did it. LOL

I even once had my email randomly show up because it was somehow added to the 5010 despite there not being a line for it. I wondered why my email started getting so much spam, until I noticed it being publicly posted on Airnav. Spam bots scan the internet for raw email addresses.

No one at the FAA could explain how, but they fortunately got it fixed.

Back