Daily Pic

Not sure about the history of the graves. From what I was told by GND, they, and a few more out in the grass, are the graves of people whose families could not be contacted for relocation upon extension of runway 10/28.

Wikipedia has a pair of somewhat-contradictory paragraphs about this, but they both refer to the same reference, which makes no mention of being unable to find "families" - In fact, it quotes several members of the family in the article: https://web.archive.org/web/2003050...avannahnow.com/stories/082801/LOCgraves.shtml

Luckily my other job, I can literally take off whenever I want. It’s very flexible. Party is over soon though. Got Awarded a new plane and just waiting for my training date.
What aircraft are you going from and going to?

Niice!!

d8d82f2886c1775d44ac296de9a660df.jpg

45 minute local flight early this morning -- calm and smooth, but a little hazy.

Driving on the airport access road to my hangar, one passes acres of airliner parts scattered about, some crated up, some out in the open. Among the latter was this engine, which I thought would look good in monochrome ...

GYR is home to about 125 stored airliners, everything up to and including A330s, 777s and a 747. The oldest one out there is this ex-KLM DC-7C, now registered N777EA, though it hasn't flown for almost 40 years. This particular airplane was the last DC-7C, and the last piston airliner ever built by Douglas. Beyond the fence is the spring training facility of the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds.

Flying toward our new neighborhood in the planned community of Verrado, at the base of the White Tank Mountains. Until 20 years ago, this was Caterpillar Tractor Company's proving ground. It was Caterpillar who built the steep road up into the mountain.

I took this photo of the same area in July 1987:

Some fun with photos taken over a solar farm west of Arlington, Arizona:

Last edited:
The Shorts had a "cup holder" that was little more than a shelf. One day we had a ferry flight from ORD to a paint shop in Oklahoma somewhere. There was a line of thunderstorms that ran the entire length of our route. So we're dodging the biggest buildups and getting bounced around pretty good, and we hit a big bump. My soda can jumped off its shelf, turned upside down and landed in my kit bag. In those days we carried 3 Jepp Binders. What a mess.

My long solo XC was last weekend. Beautiful day for flying, plus the FBO I stopped at for a top off was definitely a bit nicer than the flight school office!

Mountains.jpg River1.jpg Wilson Air1.jpg

Not as cool as some of the pictures you guys post, but it was an exciting day for me!

Yea! PDK - DNN - CHA - PDK. DNN was a nice little airport (and quiet!), but the folks at Wilson in CHA made that stop very memorable.

Needed to exercise the plane, and we're out of beer, so I had to make a run across the border. Yuengling isn't sold in Illinois.
20210408_160613.jpg 20210408_153704.jpg
The liquor store sign was just too appropriate. Unfortunately they didn't have anything but cans so I had to go to the grocery store. I get a strange pleasure of driving around in old police cars. Just me?

Needed to exercise the plane, and we're out of beer, so I had to make a run across the border. Yuengling isn't sold in Illinois.
View attachment 95430 View attachment 95431
The liquor store sign was just too appropriate. Unfortunately they didn't have anything but cans so I had to go to the grocery store. I get a strange pleasure of driving around in old police cars. Just me?

I owned this baby for about five years. Civilian CV with performance and handling package. Cop shocks, brakes, suspension, dual exhaust but without the extra frame bracing. Nice car, parted the left lane like Moses parting the red sea.

i-CFZXBzm.jpg

Back