Has anyone ever taken builder classes?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
For those who don’t have much of a mechanical background, there are construction classes where a potential builder can learn the basics of homebuilding (riveting, drilling, etc,). Has anyone ever taken these classes and do you feel it much better prepared you to build your own kit?

There are short workshops at SnF and Oshkosh. EAA does periodic longer workshops too and I know of at least two kit sellers that have (had?) "bootstrap" classes in their factories. I suspect there are 3rd party classes you can get as well.

So, yes, there are classes. Other than naming Zenith and Airdrome Aeroplanes as the two manufactures I know of, I can't help hook you up.

I took a very basic aircraft sheet metal class years ago before starting an RV-4. It covered the basics of bending, drilling, hole and edge treatment, and driven (not pulled) rivets. It was two very easy days but was worth it just to get some experience riveting before bashing on the thin aluminum of an RV tail. "Better prepared?" Yes, certainly. "Well prepared?" That's a very different question :D but I was very happy with the class and the results.

Nauga,
who read the question

Any school churning out A&P mechanics can teach you this stuff, and probably other useful stuff as well.

I did the sportair sheet metal basics class just before everything closed down last year. Covid put a crimp in my planned schedule so I'm still not building yet, but I thought the class was worth while for the price.

Any school churning out A&P mechanics can teach you this stuff, and probably other useful stuff as well.

maybe— most schools don’t accept other than full time students which is way beyond the scope of what the OP is looking for. The workshops IMO are a good deal but aren’t required either. An easier and significantly less expensive way is to watch the EAA how to videos, buy a Vans practice kit or just some raw stock, and go to town. Maybe get the help of a local builder to give some pointers. The skills required to build the average kit plane aren’t difficult to master vs say learning to weld. A bit of practice setting rivets and you’ll be bucking and squeezing with the best of them.

This is like telling someone that wants to learn how to balance their checkbook about Harvard business school.

This is like telling someone that wants to learn how to balance their checkbook about Harvard business school.
No, it's like telling them to take. class at the local business college. A buddy took classes at the local A&P school to learn how to take care of his RV.

Another +1 for the Sportair sheetmetal and riveting 2-day class. It was informative, fun and a good introduction to the basics (but it did not solve the problem of how to fit into my life the time needed for the construction of my much-desired RV-8 :().

Doing it well requires a combination of care and repetitive practice. Building an entire aluminum airframe is one way to become proficient. ;)

I’ve heard that most first time sheet metal home builders build their planes twice because building the plane improves their riveting skills so much they aren’t happy with their initial rivets.

I’ve taken a couple of the EAA Workshops as well as the Zenith and Sonex workshops. All were well worth the time and cost.

I’ve also audited two A&P courses at the local community college. Geezers can audit for free. The best was the electrical course on wiring, etc.

Cheers

For those who don’t have much of a mechanical background, there are construction classes where a potential builder can learn the basics of homebuilding (riveting, drilling, etc,). Has anyone ever taken these classes and do you feel it much better prepared you to build your own kit?

I took the EAA SportAir avionics class. It was a bust.

I took the EAA fabric course. I thought I got my money's worth. For sheet metal construction, there are enough RV builders around where most people can find an active project or three within a reasonable drive. Unless the EAA/Sportair workshops are logistically convenient, you'll probably be just as happy helping or being mentored by a local builder.

I have but in the small boat building arena, a CLC Dory (google if interested).

I knew I didn’t need to, just wanted to. As suspected, wasn’t necessary but I still learned quite a bit. Also got to contribute quite a bit, which REALLY enhances your own skills.

So in the end, uh, “it depends”. The actual person running that particular class is gonna be the determining factor. A good instructor is gonna learn even the most seasoned student, a poor instructor is gonna scare away newbies...

Tools

Back