SureFly Electronic Mag - who has one?

I haven't had a battery or alternator fail while driving in longer than that. Sure, I've replaced batteries. But only when I had indications that it was starting to fail.

And failures in autos aren't always easily forgettable. When it's your only vehicle and travel far from home, it can be memorable.

Absolutely memorable. Back in college an alternator failed on me while we were at the beach for a long weekend sailing and having fun; one of the guys had a Hobie 16 and trailered it there. Fortunately back then I carried my toolbox in my car. Fortunately we had two cars. Got an alternator and replaced it in the parking lot where we were camping. The guys I was with were impressed I had all my tools with me. That was back in the day when many of us worked on our cars, largely out of necessity.

I flew a rental with a Surefly (I was not expecting it). Didn't fly enough to know any difference in fuel consumption. The only slightly noticeable difference with having a Surefly instead of a magneto was what was perhaps a little backfire when traveling the key over the left mag during mag check.

I have about 200 hours on my Surefly over the past year. You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

It's installed on the left side of the O-360 on my 172, replaced the impulse mag. The plane was hard to start from day one of my ownership, then would not start at all. Turns out the impulse coupling was not working well for a while, then quit altogether. I was lucky that I was just grounded at my own airport. Those impulse couplings can fail and destroy gears in the accessory case.

The O-360 in a 172N uses a shorter engine mount, so the clearance was tight on the back of the engine--had to remove the mag harness to get remove the battery. Instead of using the Surefly for impulse mag replacement, I got the plain one and removed the impulse spacer from the engine and installed shorter studs. That made it much nicer behind the engine.

I am so happy with the performance of the Surefly. Hot or cold, the plane now starts quickly and easily. Even my non pilot wife remarks that her anxiety level has gone down with the plane no longer being balky to start.

I used fixed timing. With 90% of my trips there would be no advantage to timing advance.

As soon as Surefly gets approval, I will install a second SIM with backup battery.

1300 hour magnetos belong in Ripley's Believe it or Not museum!. Most of the questions asked here are answered by the manufacturer on their website. Not using the advance feature because of short flights eliminates one of the benefits. Since timing varies mostly at lower power settings, you will see a definite decrease in fuel usage with that feature enabled. Surefly does not will not make claims that would create extra testing, consider the source. They do not require fine wire plugs and do not suggest you use a widened gap. Better starting is due to the variable timing and a hotter spark at low RPM. Consider Slick suggests replacing the magneto at 1500 hours if actually doing 500 hour service as recommended due to cost reality.
The Surefly is supposed to be sent in for testing after engine TBO assuming initial install. Not having 500 hour service, occasional e-gap adustments, etc, as needed and better plug life, less fuel burn than with conventional mags makes the Surefly economically desirable. The hostile environment concern is negligible if one looks at motorcycle experience. The HD is noted for vibration and has used electronic ignition installed in the engine since the late eighties. The aftermarket one in my 1976 FXE installed in 88 is still working fine. However, carrying a Slick Mag around just in case ought to alleviate AOG concerns. Similar to me carrying a points ignition set for several years before putting them in the collection of obsolete parts.

There's certainly a lot less moving (and wear) parts.

Yeah, the magneto failure I had in flight wasn't even a mechanical part but rather the electrics side of it...

When it comes right down to it, I look at these new electronics ignition solutions like trading known problems for unknown problems with the hope its better.

I've had automotive ignition coils die too.

I've got one off my personal airplane right now that I thought may have an oil leak at the rotor shaft seal, first time its been off the engine since 2013 and it looks fine inside. That being said I did order about $100 in parts for it which $60 of that is that seal and an impulse coupling spring.

Last edited:
Back