Best off field landing spots near KFFZ

PeterNSteinmetz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
So the Bo Down Pembrooke Pines FL thread got me thinking more seriously about where to land in the event of engine failure after takeoff near my home field of KFFZ. I thought @Ed Haywood did a nice job in that thread looking carefully on Google Earth for nearby spots and obstructions.

I have my own thoughts but would like to hear what others think about this area and the best courses of action at different altitudes. This would be for typical SEL trainers, like a C172.

KFFZScreenshot.png

From 22L, ask tower for a left overhead 270 for departure to the north.
From 22R, ask tower for a right overhead 270 for departure to the south.

Well, headed NE, all you have to do is avoid the little green men. SW is going to be dicey.

Well, to the south you have about 800 feet of what looks like good dirt until the rest of the subdivision is filled in.

Runway 4R, I'm headed for that big golf course to the NE.

4L more dicey, depends on when it happens. If you can't make the golf course, a 135 right turn maybe puts you back on airfield environment, or on that fairway across the road to the east.

22L or R, I'd drive those big wide Arizona roads and get a feel for whether they are suitable. Also looks to be an unimproved road on the west edge of the orange groves.

Have a look at the roads off 22L on street view in Google Earth. Some wires and light poles. Would make me very nervous. That direction I am thinking the orchards are the best bet. But I could be persuaded otherwise.

You're probably right. There are a few service roads in the orchards to aim for. Not wide enough to land unimpeded but should get you within a few feet of the ground before things get too rough. Best case the low trees absorb all your energy.
Screenshot_20210320-211325.png Screenshot_20210320-211209.png

Brings back some memories. I saw my plane for the first time in the sun shade/spot right below the D in "field" in your first picture. I remember that orchard well. I was well past it when the tower controller remembered he had extended my downwind. Quite a few take off and landings from there.

Back