Anyone fly in to Augusta during Masters week?

7_Zero_Whiskey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Woodman4
Got a couple tickets to a practice round this year and thought if the weather was nice I’d make a flight out of the day as well. I don’t know what they will be limiting attendance to this year, but in a normal year, has anyone flown into there? Is it too busy with jet traffic to even bother? It would save me a couple hours over driving but I’m thinking it might not be worth it.

As an Atlanta based charter pilot, I’ve been flying to the Masters for 13 years. Go to DNL, much closer to the course and mostly piston and turbo prop traffic. Practice round days aren’t as bad. Be sure to call to see what the fees are, because they do charge special event rates.

Last edited:
I'm in NC and I like golf............just sayin............

Just went to Aiken, SC (KAIK) a few weeks ago for a weekend of flying fun. Nice airport with a great FBO. Hertz drops and picks up cars there. About 30 minutes from Augusta. Looks like a good number of light jets go there and I’ve heard it’s busy for golf stuff. A few inexpensive motels nearby and more options downtown. Not a real exciting town but the downtown has a nice eating district.

HQU and KIIY also.
HQU is 2 miles from I-20 which you'll take East 25 miles into Augusta. KIIY would be an hour drive.

Good alternatives if you can't get a hotel/departure slot closer.

Looking at the sectional, what is the Security area south east of Augusta?

I am based at Khqu. Its a nice little airport, 30 minutes from the course. It doesn't get quite as crowded as KDNL or KAGS. The security area is the Savannah River Site, a Dept of Energy complex for processing and storing nuclear material.

I haven't been to Agusta in some years now but I've been there during the tournament and remember it as a steady stream of corporate iron. They have a real nice FBO with extra staff of course during the tournament.
I was last at Aiken about 7 years ago during the tounament and it was busy too. They too have a very nice FBO but it's packed during those days. Both airports use taxiways and the other runway to park planes. I believe we needed a slot for arrival and departure, not sure if it applies to VFR. Look it up.
I have no idea which days might be less traffic because I don't follow golf.

I flew in there back in the 90's just before. They had PSP everywhere to add parking. It must be a zoo during the week.

Seems like a good time to resurrect this thread. Anyone going this year? We plan to fly into DNL Sunday morning.

Just got back and it was an absolute @#$&show. At some point both Augusta airports were closed to new arrivals and planes were diverting to Aiken and Columbia. On Friday, the wait to take off from Augusta was up to three hours.

Sorry guys but it strikes me funny that anyone would fly, drive or walk to watch guys hit little white balls with clubs.

Back