Alcohol withdrawal delirium (hallucinations)

G

GregOrtiz

Hello all,

I'm 34 and I'm trying to become a professional pilot. Last month I applied for a 1st class Medical and stated that I had to be hospitalized for alcohol withdrawal delirium. Long story short, me and some buddies drank in excess for over 3 weeks. The withdraws were terrible and I had to remain in the hospital for 72 dues to to mild hallucinations. Besides that, I've never been in any legal trouble or anything. Last night I received a denial letter and was told I would need to find a HIMS AME to begin what seems like a tedious process. Can I fight this? It doesn't seem like the government should have the ability to force me to spend $10,000 on a bunch of neurological tests for a incident that occurred years ago.

Contact Dr. Bruce Chien at www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Follow his advice to the letter. Whether the government should have the ability to force you to spend $10k is irrelevant. They do have that ability. If anyone can get you through this mess, it's Dr. Bruce!

Ever hear of the DTs. You have an alcohol abuse problem.
Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms
DTs typically begin after a person decides to give up alcohol after a binge, period of heavy drinking, or when they realize that they need to quit drinking. While people sometimes go through this process at home, it is also common for people to choose to go through alcohol withdrawal and detoxification at a medical facility.

Later Stages of Alcohol Withdrawal
As alcohol withdrawal progresses, people often begin to experience more severe symptoms which may include:

• Breathing changes or difficulties
  • Changes in blood pressure
  • Hallucinations
  • Seizures

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm 34 and I'm trying to become a professional pilot. Last month I applied for a 1st class Medical and stated that I had to be hospitalized for alcohol withdrawal delirium. Long story short, me and some buddies drank in excess for over 3 weeks. The withdraws were terrible and I had to remain in the hospital for 72 dues to to mild hallucinations. Besides that, I've never been in any legal trouble or anything. Last night I received a denial letter and was told I would need to find a HIMS AME to begin what seems like a tedious process. Can I fight this? It doesn't seem like the government should have the ability to force me to spend $10,000 on a bunch of neurological tests for a incident that occurred years ago.
The government has established there is no right to air travel. They grant access to the sky at their discretion and can do about whatever the hell they want.

You have a choice - spend the $$$ and abstain from alcohol for the rest of your life or find another profession.

Any withdrawal syndrome = alcohol dependency in FAA’s book.
Alcohol dependency calls out for sobriety, proven prolonged abstinence, and the education of rehabilitation, and then
Continuous recovery recovery activities
Monitoring, and evaluation.

Last edited:
The government has established there is no right to air travel. They grant access to the sky at their discretion and can do about whatever the hell they want.

Certainly they have held that. Not certain they determine what people’s rights are... but they have the power presently to enforce their interpretation

Specifically in this case and regardless of anyone’s rights, I tend to agree with the prior posters. These symptoms indicate an alcohol abuse problem, at least in the past.

Follow Dr. Chien’s advice if you want to be able to fly.

You have the right to travel, but no right to any particular mode. You won't win that argument if you get your driver's license pulled either.

Be aware, also, that even if you succeed in getting through the FAA’s hoops (at great expense), that doesn’t mean an airline will hire you. Even pilots without your history aren’t guaranteed a gig.

That means you have the right to get on a plane, not a right to be the pilot.

yeah, a couple of posters claimed "The government has established there is no right to air travel." and "You have the right to travel, but no right to any particular mode."

That means you have the right to get on a plane, not a right to be the pilot.
That seems just backwards, since airplanes didn't exist when certain "rights" were deemed inalienable, such as the pursuit of happiness. Happiness first, i.e., flying an airplane. Restrictions second, i.e., making a business for the public out of it.

That seems just backwards, since airplanes didn't exist when certain "rights" were deemed inalienable, such as the pursuit of happiness. Happiness first, i.e., flying an airplane. Restrictions second, i.e., making a business for the public out of it.

Happiness is in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. Even the founders thought that was too broad to put into law.

Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Definition of "inalienable"(M-W):

incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred

There is not a whole lot in that Declaration of Independence statement that applies to the Constitution or the Laws of the United States/States. You can certainly surrender your right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Even the bit about being created equal is questionable

Happiness is in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. Even the founders thought that was too broad to put into law.
I never said it was in the Constitution, I said what you said seems backwards. I stand by it too. If we didn't have a right to the sky in the pursuit of happiness, only airlines would be allowed to invent airplanes and they didn't exist.

Definition of "inalienable"(M-W):
incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred
Y'know, I checked that before I wrote it. I Googled "unalienable" to check the spelling and it returned "Showing results for inalienable." I figured I got it wrong and changed it. Should have scrolled down the page I guess. (or remembered, "I" before "E")

unaleinable - Google Search

Last edited:
Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Lin-Manuel Miranda:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I'mma compel him to include women in the sequel...werk!"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back