S-TEC 3100 Autopilot - PA-24 Series

Doug Tellef

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Tellef
Now Approved, Piper PA-24

The Piper PA-24 series has received STC approval for the S-TEC 3100. The 3100 is a 2-Axis fully-featured, attitude-based autopilot that brings a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities to this excellent cross-country plane.

Click the following link to learn about all the capabilities and the full list of approved models for the 3100:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/products/s-tec-3100-digital-flight-control-system

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a fully featured, attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities that were previously unavailable on aftermarket autopilots. Compatible with traditional steam gauges or advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from various manufacturers, the S-TEC 3100 delivers unmatched features and benefits:

• Precise, digital flight control for every phase of flight
  • 2-axis
  • Automatic Trim included
  • Envelope Protection/Alerting*
  • Straight and Level Recovery
  • Precision Approaches/Missed Approaches
  • Indicated Airspeed Hold*
  • Altitude Preselect*
  • And much more!
*Additional equipment may be required in some configurations

Shipping will begin in the coming weeks. Contact your Genesys Aerosystems Authorized Dealer to schedule your installation today! You can find a list of dealers in your area on this link:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/dealer-locator

Doug,

PA 24 with two G5's with an Avidyne 540. Replacing an STEC 30. Does the GAD29B digital to analog converter go away?

Doug,

PA 24 with two G5's with an Avidyne 540. Replacing an STEC 30. Does the GAD29B digital to analog converter go away?

You would still need the gad29b for the gps and A/P to connect to the G5 or other devices that interconnect on the ARINC 429 network (gad13 ect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug,

Not to divert the conversation (I happen to be interested in the STEC 3100 as well) but why not the GFC-500? Not only will that get rid of the converter, it will make your system all-digital and the G5 is built to work with that autopilot. Think FD, VNAV, etc.

I think if replacing a stec 30/50 you can keep your servos, so install should be inexpensive, save on labor and parts.

As was mentioned above, the Gad-29 is still required when interfacing with the G5. Also it is correct that we have an upgrade path from the legacy S-TEC autopilot systems that not only helps with some significant savings but includes and necessary service on your existing servos as well as a fresh 1 year warranty on the existing servos, regardless of how old they are.

You would still need the gad29b for the gps and A/P to connect to the G5 or other devices that interconnect on the ARINC 429 network (gad13 ect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, interesting. Then the G5 is an analog interface?

The 3100 can work with a large variety of heading and navigation systems on the market with some of the most common systems being the Garmin G5’s, the Aspen 1000 or MAX, or Garmin TXi. Due to limitations in the design of some primary systems there may be limitations or the need for additional hardware. I will list out the more common interfaces below.

• Aspen MAX: Once the new Aspen 3100 integration software unlock is available, this interface will have full functionality and good 2 way communication with mode annunciation without the need for additional hardware. Until they release the software unlock it will as like the Aspen 1000 (below).

• Garmin G500/600/TXi/Dual GI-275’s: You will get full functionality without the need for additional hardware. VS, IAS, and Altitude pre-select targets should be set on the EFIS and will be seen by the 3100.

• Aspen 1000: Due to limitations of the data being sent from the Aspen 1000 you will not get IAS/Envelope protection or FD command bars without some additional hardware. You will need an IAS/Envelope protection kit ($2250) to get those features, and an ST-670 ($1,999) to get FD command bars. Also there will be a lack of mode annunciations. If you are okay with out IAS/EP and the FD command bars then you will not need the extra hardware.

• G5: With a GAD-29B you will get full functionality of the 3100 with the extra hardware that we will supply. We have released a SIL with an alternate wiring procedure using the Garmin OAT probe to provide the necessary airdata to enable alt pre-select with out needing an external source of baro correction. FD command bars and mode annunciation are not capable with the G5. VS/IAS/ALT targets will be set on the 3100.

• Analog Steam Gauges:
    • We will provide an Air Data Computer to provide the air data as part of the system at no additional cost.
    • You will need to have an external source of a baro-correction signal in order to get altitude pre-select.
    • Depending on the DG/HSI used you may need a Heading Convertor PN 03976.
    • We are currently testing to confirm that a Garmin G5 will supply the baro signal which will enable altitude pre-select. The G5 does pass course and heading info through a GAD-29B

If you have any questions about a specific application or other questions please let me know and I will get you all the answers I can. Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited:
Wow! The 3100 is expensive. Can someone explain why this is almost twice the price of the Garmin GFC500? I understand that the STC is not done yet for the GFC500 but it will be soon so unless I was desperate for an A/P right now, why spend twice the money? Hell, even the Pro Pilot Trio is almost complete as well and its like 1/3 the price.

Not to divert the conversation (I happen to be interested in the STEC 3100 as well) but why not the GFC-500? Not only will that get rid of the converter, it will make your system all-digital and the G5 is built to work with that autopilot. Think FD, VNAV, etc.

Just to be pedantic... Having the GFC500 vs STEC3100 doesn't negate the need for the GAD29. You wouldn't necessarily need the B variant, but they don't sell the non-B PMA'd variant anymore anyway. The GAD29 is required to convert the ARINC429 signals to the CANBUS that the G5s/GMU/GMC/Servos talk. If you had a navigator that directly talked CANBUS (and the G5's knew how to support it) you wouldn't need the GAD29, but there aren't any on the market.

Wow! The 3100 is expensive. Can someone explain why this is almost twice the price of the Garmin GFC500?
I don't think that's an apples-to-apples comparison. The 3100 is much more like the GFC600 than the GFC500, in that the S-TEC 3100 and the GFC600 can operate stand-alone, while the GFC500 depends on the G5 or similar for even the most basic operations. And that dependency is not just a factor for the equipment price, but also for reliability (think of a G5 failure in flight, and what other systems that failure might affect).

- Martin

• Analog Steam Gauges:
    • We will provide a Sandia ADC to provide the air data as part of the system at no additional cost.
    • You will need to have a source of a baro-correction signal *to the Sandia* in order to get altitude pre-select. This can be done by installing an electric standby such as an ESI-500 or MD302
If you have any questions about a specific application or other questions please let me know
Hi Doug,

I'm curious about how the MD302/Sandia ADC interface is supposed to work... from what I see in the Sandia documentation, the only provision for baro-corrected input is the 0-5 volt Kollsman knob wiper. See page 23 of attached Sandia installation manual:

http://www.cardinalflyers.com/up/view.php?f=Sandia_ADC_SAC-7-35-Rev-E.pdf

However, the MD302 seems to have only ARINC out presentation of baro-corrected altitude, see page 15 of the MD302 installation manual:

http://www.cardinalflyers.com/up/view.php?f=MidContinentMD302_installation_manual.pdf

Further, we know from S-Tec tech support that baro-corrected altitude, ARINC label 204, and indicated airspeed, ARINC label 206, *must* be on the same ARINC connection, as the 3100 insists those two labels arrive via the same connection. So we can't direct connect the MD302 to the 3100 and expect other IAS-dependent features to work. But... I'm given hope in that you're not proposing that, you're proposing connecting the MD302 to the Sandia ADC. But... how?

So... what am I missing? How do you use the MD302 to provide "a source of baro-correction signal to the Sandia" as you state above? This would be very handy to know!!

Thanks in advance...

Paul

Starting at $19,995. Hahahahahahahahahhaha.

Oh yeah, I'm rushing right out on this.

Hi Doug,

I'm curious about how the MD302/Sandia ADC interface is supposed to work... from what I see in the Sandia documentation, the only provision for baro-corrected input is the 0-5 volt Kollsman knob wiper. See page 23 of attached Sandia installation manual:

Paul, thank you, I updated the post above for clarity, with an analog system you will still need a source of baro whether it is connected to the ADC such as with a 0-5 wiper you mentioned, or it is ARINC direct to the 3100. The interface and wiring are called out in the install instructions provided with the data package sent to the dealer. Refer to your authorized S-TEC installer for more information.

I updated the post above for clarity... connected to the ADC such as with a 0-5 wiper you mentioned, or it is ARINC direct to the 3100. The interface and wiring are called out in the install instructions provided with the data package sent to the dealer. Refer to your authorized S-TEC installer for more information.

Ah! Well, what you'd posted was perfectly clear, Doug... it was just wrong! Typing too quickly I suspect. I *did* talk to my dealer, and neither of us, looking at the install instructions and data package you reference, could figure out what you were talking about... so we wondered what we were missing.

Turns out you misspoke... that's OK, it happens. You should also point out the gotcha, not well documented in the install instructions provided with the data package sent to the dealer... that baro-corrected altitude and indicated airspeed ARINC labels *must* come to the 3100 on the same port... or full functionality is not available. That was not apparent in the original data package we received, nor was it clear to your tech service guys in Mineral Wells that we spoke to... that caused us to waste a lot of time and money in the shop trying to figure out the discrepancy. So when you (incorrectly) stated that the MD302 could communicate baro-altitude to the Sandia, we got excited that maybe there WAS a way... but sadly, apparently not.

Thanks for the clarification. I look forward to enjoying my 3100. I'm certain all these subtleties will become better known as time goes on... but it would be helpful if you could carefully review what you write to make sure you're not misleading folks. :)

Back