Melatonin

bmacadoozle

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bmacadoozle
Is melatonin a no-go in regards to the faa medical? I hold a first-class and don't want to jeopardize it. Supporting documents welcome

Last edited:
Yes. Couple years ago when the FAA came out with their approved list, Melatonin was on it. There is wording though about not treating a sleep disorder.

Melatonin is an amusing hormone, able to generate some remarkable big spiders and possibly other illusions after a couple weeks........your mileage may vary but it was pretty freaky for me.......was using as a sleep aid but gave it up pronto.....not flying at the time and lapsed class 3.......

I’ve had great results with Melatonin. Never really had problems sleeping but after taking Melatonin I get a far deeper sleep with it. Dreams are much more vivid and I wake up with a solid 8 hrs...so my phone tells me. I don’t take it on a regular basis. Only when I need to get to bed early and wake up early. Never take it while at work.

I haven't had any negative effects with Melatonin, but sometimes I wonder if it does anything at all. That said when I have an unusually early wake-up for a trip, the biggest obstacle to getting a good night's sleep is worrying about getting a good night's sleep - so even something I believe is helping is a good thing!

I haven't had any negative effects with Melatonin, but sometimes I wonder if it doe
Ain’t that the truth.

So true.

For me, unlike OTC sleeping pills, Melatonin does NOT make me “sleepy”. So, I need to put effort into trying to sleep. Meaning, go to bed, close my eyes...Zzzzz. Melatonin does not give me that “groggy” feeling when I wake up. And, since my body makes it, it is not “addictive”.

Last edited:
So true.

Unlike OTC sleeping pills, Melatonin will NOT make you “sleepy”. So, you need to put effort into trying to sleep. Meaning, go to bed, close your eyes...Zzzzz. Melatonin will not give you that “groggy” feeling when you wake up. And, since your body makes it, it is not “addictive”.

That is not universally true at all. Reactions to melatonin can vary wildly. Personally when I take it I get sleepy but in a semi-uncomfortable way, almost like “drunk sleepy” (but not in a good way). My partner also takes melatonin sometimes and does not report feeling sleepy at all.

That is not universally true at all. Reactions to melatonin can vary wildly. Personally when I take it I get sleepy but in a semi-uncomfortable way, almost like “drunk sleepy” (but not in a good way). My partner also takes melatonin sometimes and does not report feeling sleepy at all.

I made changes to show MY experience.

Yes. Couple years ago when the FAA came out with their approved list, Melatonin was on it. There is wording though about not treating a sleep disorder.

So, everyone who uses it takes it “recreationally”? LOL.

What if it’s hiding a sleep disorder?

All their silly dancing on pin heads... amazes me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back