TFR for controlled burn

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
We are planning to fly to Everglades City (X01)for Lunch, but there is a fairly large TFR in the neighborhood. What would you do?
Cancel?
Circle around to the East for better wind conditions, even though that keeps us over the swamp longer?
Not worry about it?

(I tried to upload a screen shot of the route showing thr TFR but I keep getting a security error. Have I not reached a new minimum post requirement)

Fly around it, thread closed.

d4d3610c07d64841b4227f51b779ed6e.jpg

Fly around it or fly somewhere else to eat lunch? :dunno:Be cognizant of smoke in the area if the winds aren't favorable.

Cross at 3001 ft and circle to land...

From the sounds of the replies, I guess I am worrying too much.

I wasn't worried about the technical specs of the TFR. I was concerned about the variability of the smoke. The winds will be coming from the SE, so I was thinking of circling in from the East side, but that keeps me over the swamp longer.

In general, does the TFR try to take into consideration the effects of the winds? I doubt the burn will be the entire size of the TFR. Would they create the TFR in such a way to allow clearance from wind driven smoke?

We are planning to fly to Everglades City (X01)for Lunch, but there is a fairly large TFR in the neighborhood. What would you do?
Cancel?
Circle around to the East for better wind conditions, even though that keeps us over the swamp longer?
Not worry about it?

(I tried to upload a screen shot of the route showing thr TFR but I keep getting a security error. Have I not reached a new minimum post requirement)

Were ya coming from?

From the sounds of the replies, I guess I am worrying too much.

I wasn't worried about the technical specs of the TFR. I was concerned about the variability of the smoke. The winds will be coming from the SE, so I was thinking of circling in from the East side, but that keeps me over the swamp longer.

In general, does the TFR try to take into consideration the effects of the winds? I doubt the burn will be the entire size of the TFR. Would they create the TFR in such a way to allow clearance from wind driven smoke?

Ive never seen a TFR because of smoke. It usually is to protect whatever assets are managing the fire. In this case it's labelled Drop Zone, so they may have tankers or parachuting firefighters in the air.

Were ya coming from?
Ormond Beach (KOMN)

A direct flight would have us closely skirting the West side of the TFR, right in the path of the Easterly wind blowing through the TFR.

We could go somewhere else, but we have been to most other places in the state several times. We haven't been to Everglade City in several years, and it is a really cool place to go for lunch.

Ive never seen a TFR because of smoke. It usually is to protect whatever assets are managing the fire. In this case it's labelled Drop Zone, so they may have tankers or parachuting firefighters in the air.
That's good to know.

Ormond Beach (KOMN)

A direct flight would have us closely skirting the West side of the TFR, right in the path of the Easterly wind blowing through the TFR.

We could go somewhere else, but we have been to most other places in the state several times. We haven't been to Everglade City in several years, and it is a really cool place to go for lunch.

Running down the East side adds about 15 miles over direct. I guess it’s just a matter of how you feel about aligators

Smoke is relentless. Worse than fog. Plus smoke can get in your eyes. Seriously, smoke in your eyes while flying bites. I know from experience.

Come in from upwind. Stay out of the smoke. Oh, and the TFR....:lol:

Smoke is relentless. Worse than fog. Plus smoke can get in your eyes. Seriously, smoke in your eyes while flying bites. I know from experience.

Come in from upwind. Stay out of the smoke. Oh, and the TFR....:lol:

Yeah. After my IR check ride Sunday, I was flying from Summerville (KDYB) back to Charleston (KCHS) VFR. 8 miles. They are doing controlled burns and the wind was basically still Sunday. It was so hazy at 2500' that I couldn't see runway 3 until I was about 4 miles out.

Go up high and make tactical decisions when you see what there is to see. If you're up high enough, going over the glades is no big deal. You'd be able to stay in glide distance of a highway.

Turned out I worried about nothing. We could see a few small smokey fires on the other side of the TFR but the smoke was not drifting high or far.

The only problem was the 25kt head wind on the way down, added to the fact that ATC kept turning us off course for some reason of their own. A 1.3 hour flight turned into 1.8 hours on the way there averaging about 140kts ground speed. The way back took just over an hour averaging about 190kts gs.

The other issue was that when we got to the FBO they tried to call the restaurant to come pick us up, but the restaurant's phone was busy for about 15 minutes. The guy said it was a 15 minute walk, so we walked. 40 minutes later, we arrived, and then had to wait around 40 minutes to get our food. The food was either really good or we were really hungry because it was so late. At least they gave us a ride back to the FBO.

All in all, it was a good day. The plane did great and he weather was beautiful. Beats staying at home any day.

Per google maps, 1.4 miles and, the part that cracks me up, "All routes are mostly flat"
Its possible I overestimated the time of the walk. I just took the amount of time from the time we left the FBO to the time we got our food and guessed at the split. Maybe the walk was shorter and the wait for the food was longer.

Either way, it was a good day, we got some good food, exercise and we got to fly.
And yes, it was "mostly flat", which describes 99.99% of Florida. It was mostly HOT too. That's probably what made the walk seem longer.

And just an observation: NOBODY was wearing masks. I forgot to take mine and when I asked at the FBO and at the restaurant they both laughed and said "don't worry, nobody here wears masks". That didn't make Leslie feel very comfortable. But at least I didn't have to put my hearing aids back on every time I took put mask on and off. And without others wearing masks, I was able to understand most of them again.

Swing a bit west to stay out of the smoke, the airport should be clear unless the winds shift.

Its possible I overestimated the time of the walk. I just took the amount of time from the time we left the FBO to the time we got our food and guessed at the split. Maybe the walk was shorter and the wait for the food was longer.

Either way, it was a good day, we got some good food, exercise and we got to fly.
And yes, it was "mostly flat", which describes 99.99% of Florida. It was mostly HOT too. That's probably what made the walk seem longer.

And just an observation: NOBODY was wearing masks. I forgot to take mine and when I asked at the FBO and at the restaurant they both laughed and said "don't worry, nobody here wears masks". That didn't make Leslie feel very comfortable. But at least I didn't have to put my hearing aids back on every time I took put mask on and off. And without others wearing masks, I was able to understand most of them again.
2 mph is about right for a leisurely walk.

Back