[NA] Question for law enforcement officers amongst us

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
I'm addicted to watching the dashcam videos on YouTube. Dashcam lessons as my favorite.

Anywho started me wondering is dashcams a blessing for police or annoying?

Seems like every series has at least two or three segments of "I sent my footage to the local police or highway patrol" like it's a status symbol or something.

Not sure about LE, but I would think the FAA and NTSB really like all those gopros out there and camera phones.

Makes accident investigation much easier.

Nooo!!! Delete that post. Don’t give them any ideas. FAR 91.205 b. will get an (18). Personal recording device set to record the last 30 minutes of flight or sumpin like that.

Last edited:
Most folks want dash cams for the scenarios where the insurance company doesn't believe what happened. Of course in many places the brilliant politicians have just made everything no-fault and now you have to pay for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Penalize the people following the rules. T'is always thus. Would be super easy to tie insurance status to in vehicle data terminals when running plates. Numerous countries already do it. Some even tie it to automated plate readers.

Hmm. Take the uninsured off the road, we all forego doubling our insurance costs. Guess who doesn't want the loss of revenue?

Most places it almost doesn't matter anymore -- either the insurance is set up that yours will be paying or you'll be in the old Catch-22 that you can't sue damages from a broke ass.

The dash cams rarely can properly catch plate numbers unless they're the expensive high quality camera ones, and even less rarely see exactly who was driving. If the person clams up, although few do, they're not much use in defining who was illegally operating the vehicle.

Cops writing down "Vehicle 3 caused the accident" has little correlation with who's paying for it all. If nobody died you'll be lucky to even get what actually happened written down even if you show the video at the scene.

Most folks want dash cams for the scenarios where the insurance company doesn't believe what happened. Of course in many places the brilliant politicians have just made everything no-fault and now you have to pay for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Penalize the people following the rules. T'is always thus. Would be super easy to tie insurance status to in vehicle data terminals when running plates. Numerous countries already do it. Some even tie it to automated plate readers.
PR China does this, and catches traffic infractions this way, too. Is this something that you advocate?

Nooo!!! Delete that post. Don’t give them any ideas. FAR 91.205 b. will get an (18). Personal recording device set to record the last 30 minutes of flight or sumpin like that.

You missed my humor. With all the YouTube types out there looking for their next click bait video, it’s become amazing at all the crashes that have been caught on video.

Takes all the guesswork out of the investigation. ;) :D

I know a lot of the local LEOs here and have had friends in various departments over the years. The addition of cameras helps more times than it hurts, and the ones it hurts aren't the ones the police force SHOULD be defending.

Of course, in my county, the shoe-in to replace his father as Sheriff got his downfall because he got indicted for several felonies for stalking/harassing his ex.

Any one enforcing laws or regulations likes video evidence unless it is evidence against them.
I wonder what is the ratio of dashcam videos submitted for evidence of innocence against a trumped up charge to that of videos submitted for evidence of guilt of a 3rd party.

I know a lot of the local LEOs here and have had friends in various departments over the years. The addition of cameras helps more times than it hurts, and the ones it hurts aren't the ones the police force SHOULD be defending.

Of course, in my county, the shoe-in to replace his father as Sheriff got his downfall because he got indicted for several felonies for stalking/harassing his ex.

So uh, who had the Cam? Him or her?

Having sound evidence is always a bonus. Usually it’s your word against their word. Not much other to go by as volunteer witnesses seem to agree with both parties accounts. Having video immediately for review can save thousands of wasted dollars and several hours of time.

If I were law enforcement officer, I would definitely want a body cam and dash cam.

No, camera, but he took a GPS tracker from the department and attached it to her car so he could stalk her.
Sounds a bit like the David Brame case about 18 years ago. Police chief in Tacoma, wife Crystal was estranged, he used department equipment and personnel to try to track her. Eventually met her in a parking lot and shot her in the presence of their two children. Then killed himself.

Other officers in the department tried to complain, but, hey, he was the chief. The city manager, his only superior, was a friend.

Ron Wanttaja

Back