FAA survey

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
How many folks get the FAA survey that helps them calculate the fleet hours flown by the general aviation community? If you get the survey do you complete it or file it with the rest of the junk mail?

Seems like I get one every year for the past 20 years, I have always completed the survey. Takes about 10 min if you have your log books for plane and pilot. I my just file this one

I'll rephrase:

I wonder why they need that information.
Well the survey is for GA and part 135, wonder if it's for folks flying in Alaska. Not sure, asks about navigation equipment, size of plane, total time flown, type of ELT and other on board equipment

The survey folks use the data to generate a ton of estimates of GA fleet activity...total hours flown, average annual usage, percentage of active aircraft, etc., broken down by region, type of operation, class of aircraft, etc.

It’s used by the Nall Report group to produce estimates of the number of accidents per 100,000 flight hours.

Ron Wanttaja

Well the survey is for GA and part 135, wonder if it's for folks flying in Alaska. Not sure, asks about navigation equipment, size of plane, total time flown, type of ELT and other on board equipment
I’ve been getting them for years. Lived in Kansas and North Carolina. Not an Alaska thing.

The survey folks use the data to generate a ton of estimates of GA fleet activity...total hours flown, average annual usage, percentage of active aircraft, etc., broken down by region, type of operation, class of aircraft, etc.

It’s used by the Nall Report group to produce estimates of the number of accidents per 100,000 flight hours.

Ron Wanttaja
^This. Unlike part 135 and 121, there is very little operational data for part 91 operations. Good flight hours data helps identify trends. Is an increase in the number of accidents due to more flight activity, or something else?

Wow it's like being a Nielsen family.

I got one once, about 5 years ago, then never got one again. Maybe they didn't like my responses?

I got one last year and this year. It doesn't seem to like, or at least asks me to double check, my responses of Fuel used = Zero, and more than 4.0 hours per flight average.

Brian
LS6b N1720

I get two (one for each plane) every year plus several reminders. I pitch them.

I've done the survey but haven't seen one lately. But I do wonder about the fact that this survey isn't done by the FAA directly. Please note:

The FAA has contracted with Tetra Tech, an independent research firm, to conduct the survey.

So the question is; does Tetra Tech make a bit of side money selling your information to others after they send the FAA the information requested? I have no idea and would hope that I'm incorrect but when the "spidey sense" starts tingling ... o_O

Get'em every year. And I fill'em out online.

I never received that survey, but a few years ago I got a phone call (??) asking if I'd rate my experiences with ATC.

I never received that survey, but a few years ago I got a phone call (??) asking if I'd rate my experiences with ATC.
Only call I ever got from FSDO was to ask me why I aborted a TO. Told them airspeed never came alive, ice in pito tube. Nice conversation although I thought it was a little strange they called

I got one of our 172. I think it took 10 minutes of my time.

Only call I ever got from FSDO was to ask me why I aborted a TO. Told them airspeed never came alive, ice in pito tube. Nice conversation although I thought it was a little strange they called

Towered Field?

If so the tower happened to filed a Occurrence Report. They’re kinda hit or miss depending on the controller and local policy. The FSDO has to follow up the report and put it in the system as such. 99% of the time they’re like yours and it’s a none event. I had several in a row because a CFI was doing abort practice with their student even after telling the tower....

Back