LED light signals for color vision test

Drew Kozicki

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dkong
I've seen some older posts about this. I have the not valid for night flying restriction because I have a minor red green deficiency. Mainly difficulty telling green from white in a very small light. I took the lantern test and one other. I tried the color blind test involving shapes instead of numbers and missed 1 in the area where you weren't allowed to miss any. Giving me the minor deficiency diagnosis. I'm looking for any advice on what other tests I should try or if should I go straight to the light signal test? If I should go straight to the light signal test, any recommendations on airports that would have an LED light signal gun to ensure I pass it. I'm sure I could pass it with a standard older gun but since I only get one shot, I want to make sure I got everything working in my favor I can get.

Last edited:
I have VERY defective color vision. I took the light gun test at KSJC back in 1989. Myself and one other candidate were presented with different colored signals. In some instances we gave different answers. We both passed. Go figure.

Having said all this, my colorblindness has never affected my flying, even at night. Turns out I can see the colors of light sources much better than reflected light.

I have VERY defective color vision. I took the light gun test at KSJC back in 1989. Myself and one other candidate were presented with different colored signals. In some instances we gave different answers. We both passed. Go figure.

Having said all this, my colorblindness has never affected my flying, even at night. Turns out I can see the colors of light sources much better than reflected light.
Good to know, congratulations. This has been a nightmare ever since the doc told me I couldn't fly at night. I don't think I'm going to pass anything involving dots or very small poorly lit lights. I flew most of my cross countries in my flight training at night with the CFI. To me, everything was easier to see at night. Navigation was far easier, finding airports was much easier because of the beacons. The only thing that was more difficult was judging distance over the runway when landing, but I'm sure that comes with practice and didn't have anything to do with a green deficiency. IMO it felt safer and calmer to fly at night. I have an LED flashlight that does white, green, and red that I used in the cockpit at night. Reflected or direct, I have no issue telling them apart. That's as clear as day.

Last edited:

Yeah, I have a friend that thinks that virtually all cars are silver or gray or white. Which is confusing, as most cars are silver or gray or white.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back