Any pireps on N74 (Penn's Cave)?

eshazen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric
I'm thinking of a trip to N74 soon (Penn's Cave). There is a cave which sounds pretty cool (you tour it in a boat). The family is not much into caves so it seems a perfect by-air adventure.

Anyone been there? Any pireps on the airport or cave? (I'll be flying my Archer, so the airport seems suitable).

Not any help but If you're a trout fisherman Penn's Creek around Coburn is spectacular.

Penn’s caves are a pretty cool trip. I left be about a hour away and have done the trip a couple of times with family and kids. For a slice of Americana should see roadside America as well-not far from there.

Flew the 172 there a few years ago. It was a good visit.

I have been through Penn’s cave a couple of times, it is very interesting and worth a visit. Can’t tell you about the airport, sorry

The wife and I did it some years back. We both enjoyed it. It's a little off the beaten path as I recall. We drove through large fields of sunflowers to get there. That was truly stunning.

How far is the cave from the airport?
'cording to Google Maps, 0.6 miles.

From the airport remarks - somehow this just seems... off.
"750 FT AGL MTNS 1/2 MI S & 700 FT AGL MTN 1/2 MI N; BOTH UNLGTD & UNMKD."

'cording to Google Maps, 0.6 miles.

From the airport remarks - somehow this just seems... off.
"750 FT AGL MTNS 1/2 MI S & 700 FT AGL MTN 1/2 MI N; BOTH UNLGTD & UNMKD."

That's right. That part of PA is ridge/valley/ridge/valley/ridge/valley/ridge...

That's right. That part of PA is ridge/valley/ridge/valley/ridge/valley/ridge...
With creative names like North & South Mountains! Believe those are the Nittany Mountains there.

That I'm familiar with.
It's just reporting the mountains as being 750 AGL - I think I understand the intent, but, aren't they really 0 AGL? And, well, who would expect the dirt to be either lighted or marked? Just seemed weird to me.

Been there a long time ago. I noticed the slope of the runway on landing. Also, the nearby ridges gave us a nice closeup of the fall leaves and branches. Easy walk. The boat goes through the cave turns around and back to the start. Really dark in there. Fun ride. Not a difficult walk from the airport.

Back