A different type of air race

Even more fun live :)

I got a little nauseous just watching them do that.

the spinning.... the spinning!!! Make it stop.... can't watch. That noise, too. What is that, like 1,000,000 RPM?

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to other people's hobbies, I mean hey if you're into it, who am I to say anything about it?

But man if this doesn't just look like 3 middle-age guys walking in a circle hugging each other.

I assume there is strategy and such, but the camerawork in this video doesn't really show that.

Is that a game of circle jerk? ... I did like the T&A segment

Sounds like the .049 or .020 glow engines of my youth. 25,000 RPM on those properly tuned.

Sounds like the .049 or .020 glow engines of my youth. 25,000 RPM on those properly tuned.
I think as I kid I never got my .049 properly leaned. I was afraid it would explode from the revs! Man, the smell of that Cox fuel can take me back in time...

.15 diesel. RPM probably about right.

F2A speed is something like 40.000 :D

I always leaned it for max rpm, never blew up.
Mine never blew up, but I melted a lot of glow plugs when leaned out.

Cox engines were indestructible. Testers engines always threw a rod even when idling.

Combat is pretty fun to watch. I still fly stunt, dabbled in the racing and carrier a few years. My son flew combat.

Electric is gaining popularity, really weird to watch ANY of this without that noise. The sound and smell of caster oil burning model engines takes me down memory lane as well.

Tools

Ya, WOW! Never seen those in person. Have seen a couple pulse jets... WOW! Usually flown near sunset so you can see the, well, flame I guess, sticking six feet out it’s butt... and and wildly cool LOUD noise.

looks like a Monty Python sketch to me...

Well, something actually happens at the beginning of a Monty Python sketch. Unlike that YouTube video. I quit watching after 60 sec when nothing at all had happened.

Fuel or electric rc? That would be another great debate.

I couldn't help but think of this when I saw the video.

That was awesome, I used to fly those Cox 049 string models when I was a kid.

This was the first control line plane I remember us getting.

VINTAGE-CARL-GOLDBERG-LIL-WIZARD-MODEL-AIRPLANE.jpg

OK, that was different. Nascar has influenced the sport with pit stops.

Mine never blew up, but I melted a lot of glow plugs when leaned out.

Cox engines were indestructible. Testers engines always threw a rod even when idling.

Broke the crankshaft on a Cox .049 once. Doing touch-and-goes, had a prop strike. When you consider the engine wasn't throttleable, and was turning at the full 25,000 RPM....

Ron Wanttaja

I started with a Cox .049 Corsair which I saved up and ordered from JC Penny. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I never got to fly it. My dad crashed it in a parking lot on it's first flight and the molded plastic control horn broke off the elevator. I had the plane and the engine for a long time though. I then bought a used Cox PT-19 trainer and learned to fly it. Then I built a lil-Satan (flying wing). It collapsed the wing ribs from the strain of the CL on it's first flight so I rebuilt it with 1/8" balsa for the inner ribs. Flew that one for a long time. I would set it on the front edge of a piece of plywood on a sawhorse with the tail fastened to a 5 lb diving weight and a pull pin to release it. Start the engine, got to the center of the circle, get set with the control lines, then pull the pin. So I didn't need any help to fly it eve though it had no landing gear. I also did that later with a new PT-19 as well. Right off the plywood in my parents front yard.

But the cream of the crop was a Ringmaster Imperial powered by a .36 Fox engine. 60' cables for control lines. And it was smooooth. Flew that one through High School and gave it to a friend who had mad the jump to RC which I couldn't afford then...

lilsatan.jpg Cox-049-Corsair.jpg cox_pt12.jpg 10860.jpg

Wow. That was my first plane. Where did you get that picture ?

Just google searched it, there's quite a few pictures of it you can find.

I started with a Cox .049 Corsair which I saved up and ordered from JC Penny. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I never got to fly it. My dad crashed it in a parking lot on it's first flight and the molded plastic control horn broke off the elevator. I had the plane and the engine for a long time though. I then bought a used Cox PT-19 trainer and learned to fly it. Then I built a lil-Satan (flying wing).

I had a 'Lil Satan as well. Started with a Cox Mustang, which flew very poorly--too heavy for the .049. I built something after that--might have been a Lil Wizard, then the Lil Satan followed. Then a Thermic C motor glider, I never had the nerve to fly it. That was followed by some static models from scratch, then a looooooonnnnnng time away from model aviation until I finally started flying RC 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had time for that--or a place to fly--in over a decade.

Also very into model rocketry when I was a kid, later mid-power and high-power rocketry as an adult, but again haven't had time in awhile. But I do still have a basement full of cool toys!

Like nearly every boy of that era I had a couple of Cox models... which rarely survived their first flight. But then I too had a Lil' Wizard, Snorky Trainer, Flite Streak, Jr. Nobler, Ringmaster, Veco Smoothie... but more and more time was spent on R/C. One of these days I want to build a classic Ringmaster or Nobler. At least U-Control isn't getting lumped in with all the drone nonsense like R/C is nowadays.

Back