Using timers on instrument check ride

I could probably do an entire webinar just on clocks required for IFR. :)

I could probably do an entire webinar just on clocks required for IFR. :)
I feel like you already did in the other thread :)
(and it was very helpful, thanks again)

Actually, it does have to be a "dedicated" clock, the definition of which is not quite as straightforward as it seems. The timer function on your transponder or GPS does not meet the requirements of 14 CFR 91.205. However, if you do have an operable installed clock, you could choose to use any other device in the airplane, installed or not, including the timer function on various "avionics boxes."

Well, I guess I'll keep the panel clock I installed years ago, FWIW in any practical sense. With two GPSes and an EFB, I've got timepieces and timers galore.

One Mississippi...Two Mississippi...who needs a clock...Three Mississippi...

I think the FAR/AIM says the timer has to be an NTP stratum-1 server synced to your GPS unit!

(just kidding)

On a more serious note: I listened to a few veteran ATC controllers and frankly they couldn’t care less if you turn in 50 seconds, a minute, a minute and half etc. Provided you park there, keep on the holding side, and within distance limits depending on the performance of your airplane, they are happy. That’s why outside of the checkride, constant wind corrections to make your legs last exactly one minute is kinda bunk from what I gather. Am I off?

Good enough for Apollo, good enough for my DPE - He had no issue with it.

pKZ0ydL.jpg
Actually... The watches used in the Apollo program were manual. IIRC they show "Professional" under Speedmaster.

While the automatics are pricey, the manuals are crazy expensive.

Back