ANR Headsets for Children

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I suddenly find myself needing to pick up 4 headsets for passengers, to include children. I have experience with Bose A20. I only have pireps about the various Lightspeed options.

The Lightspeed options would save significant money when buying multiple sets, but I don’t want to save money at the expense of passenger comfort.

I definitely want active noise reduction rather than death clamps for the long trips we will be taking in the louder airplane.

Does anyone have experience to share with the various ANR options on kids?

When he was smaller, my son used a pilotmall ANR headset with a kid-sized headband from pilot-usa. He flies with Zulus now.

I just use the A20's on my kids. I bought some kid sized ones a few years back and they were barely smaller than an adult headset. A winter cap or a headband over the entire headset helps keep them from flopping off if (when) they fall fall asleep.

I definitely think adult-sized headsets will work fine for the kids, and of course be useful for adult passengers. My conundrum comes down to me being a pilot and pilots being cheapskates. The Bose A20 with Bluetooth costs $1100. Lightspeed Zulu 3 is $850. Lightspeed Sierra is $650. For 4 headsets, if the Lightspeed options are going to work for the kids, we would be saving up to $1800.

My kids (ages 6-18) like the Zulu 3’s. If I were getting dedicated young kids ones, I’d probably go with the Sierra’s.

Lightspeed Zulu 3 fits my five year old and stays in place no problem.

It sounds like you want the mic option and the ability to converse back and forth. My son doesn’t keep a mic near his lips so we just bought decent ANR Bluetooth headphones from Amazon. He gets the protection, but no conversation.

I definitely think adult-sized headsets will work fine for the kids, and of course be useful for adult passengers. My conundrum comes down to me being a pilot and pilots being cheapskates. The Bose A20 with Bluetooth costs $1100. Lightspeed Zulu 3 is $850. Lightspeed Sierra is $650. For 4 headsets, if the Lightspeed options are going to work for the kids, we would be saving up to $1800.

Not sure if you see my posts on here but I sell lots of Lightspeeds... I am currently out but I get more stock often. The Sierra will fit a small head better than the Zulu 3... I quit selling Bose because to many issues. When I get more Sierra's they are $525 each. Slightly used with new earseals, muff and come with the carry case.

Bose A20 works for my 6 year old just fine. She likes the Bluetooth so she can watch the iPad while we fly.

It sounds like you want the mic option and the ability to converse back and forth. My son doesn’t keep a mic near his lips so we just bought decent ANR Bluetooth headphones from Amazon. He gets the protection, but no conversation.
My kids unplug from the intercom as often as not. I'm looking into to buying a bunch of those myself. They'd rather play games on their tablet than talk to mom & dad :dunno: They're currently using DC's (bought used) and some kid's passives gifted by a kind POA'er. No complaints about the noise or the clamping force. I feel like $1000 anr headsets are kind of overkill for kids, but maybe you love your kids more than me :p

Back