Training in my own aircraft: equipment question

guzziguy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
guzziguy
Hello all,
I'm currently doing my IR training in my own aircraft (PA28R-180) and my CFII informed me of a possible curveball that I'd like to get the group's collective wisdom on.
My Arrow is equipped with:
GNC355 GPS/Comm with CDI (GS/LOC)
KX170b Nav/Comm with CDI (LOC only)
DME

According to my CFII, for the check ride, I am required to do both precision and non-precision approaches. The GPS is of course WAAS but unfortunately, RNAV approaches don't count as 'precision.' (Not sure when the FAA will finally change their thinking that a WAAS approach isn't "precision" - a discussion for another time)

As many have realized, this current equipment set up does not provide me the ability to fly an ILS. In the real world, I imagine this isn't a large trade-off, but for check ride purposes and requirements in the ACS, we have a small issue here.

Any insights and suggestions are appreciated on how to proceed or resolve this!
Tks!

I believe the gnc 355 is only a gps & com radio, not a nav/com.

Personally I'd want to have ils capability anyway. Does your 170 have glideslope?

I THINK LPV is counted as a precision approach for checkride purposes, even though it's not "officially" a precision approach. They're testing the ability to follow a glideslope and understand DA vs MDA. It would be a question to ask YOUR DPE.

Replace the indicator for comm/nav2.

Am I missing something here?

I was under the impression waas GPS can substitute for a precision approach as well. I'd have to look up the regs.

Replace the indicator for comm/nav2.

Am I missing something here?

It's likely not that simple. The version of the KX170b probably doesn't have a GS receiver in it. So he'd have to replace the KX170b entirely, and the CDI, and add wiring to send the GS signal to the new CDI, etc. Smarter money would be on just throwing away the KX170B in favor of a newer unit, like an SL30 or more modern Garmin nav/com. But that's a $5k adventure, minimum.

It's likely not that simple. The version of the KX170b probably doesn't have a GS receiver in it. So he'd have to replace the KX170b entirely, and the CDI, and add wiring to send the GS signal to the new CDI, etc. Smarter money would be on just throwing away the KX170B in favor of a newer unit, like an SL30 or more modern Garmin nav/com. But that's a $5k adventure, minimum.

Sure, but determining if the existing radio is capable should be job 1. If so, then indicator swap. If not, then radio/indicator swap, decide to use another plane, or pass on the IRA because OP has to bring suitable equipment to the check ride.

LPV approaches are acceptable as precision approaches for the purposes of a checkride. You should call the DPE you're going to use. Better yet have your CFI call and talk to him/her.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

As Iceman21 and samiamPA note, you're good to go. It's in the Instrument ACS, Appendix 7, page A-16

"Task B. Precision Approach The applicant must accomplish a precision approach to the decision altitude (DA) using aircraft navigational equipment for centerline and vertical guidance in simulated or actual instrument conditions. Acceptable instrument approaches for this part of the practical test are the ILS and GLS. In addition, if the installed equipment and database is current and qualified for IFR flight and approaches to LPV minima, an LPV minima approach can be flown to demonstrate precision approach proficiency if the LPV DA is equal to or less than 300 feet HAT. The evaluator has discretion to have the applicant perform a landing or a missed approach at the completion of the precision approach."

All: This is great news! Thanks. And also, thanks for actually citing the portion of the ACS that allows it. I'll forward this on to my CFII
Thanks again

Back