If money was no object, help me create the perfect Cessna 182

A G-5 flown by my own private crew with a Swedish bikini model fanning me with a big feather while another one feeds me grapes.

Just make sure your G5 has a six pack and not a G1000. Everyone says those are bad.

Cirrus SF50 has a chute and can land on grass strips.

Diamond uses that to market the the DA40. The demo pilot I flew with a few years ago claimed the DA40 in a full coordinated stall comes down at a rate of descent less than that of an SR22 under a chute. It makes sense that a 182 with full flaps might be similar. Just curious, is the BRS for you or the spouse?

Oh, and if money is no object, you should buy a T206H. Plenty of relatively new ones on the market with TKS, tip tanks, factory O2, and lots of avionics goodies. Stall speed with the huge flaps is a brisk walk. Take the back seats out and fly it like a stretch 182.

The BRS is for both of us. Again, not interested in the 206, since no BRS.

I keep reading the title of this thread and keep thinking to myself, "if money were no object, it sure as hell wouldn't be a 182." ;)

Different strokes for different folks. I am not interested in any other plane. Cessna 182 is simply the best for my missions.

If the OP is going to dismiss all of our recommendations after telling us that money was no option, why are we even bothering?

If the OP is going to dismiss all of our recommendations after telling us that money was no option, why are we even bothering?
Not sure what you are referring to. I never said anything was too expensive. However, it has to fit my mission.

He didn't dismiss all of them. I stuck to his rules otherwise if money was no object, Kodiak. Turboprop over piston for reliability any day of the week. Add in beta, high wing, heavy loading and short field capabilities.

He didn't dismiss all of them. I stuck to his rules otherwise if money was no object, Kodiak. Turboprop over piston for reliability any day of the week. Add in beta, high wing, heavy loading and short field capabilities.
You broke his rule. He said it 100% had to be a Cessna 182.A Kodak is not a Cessna 182.

The BRS is for both of us. Again, not interested in the 206, since no BRS.

BRS has been talking about a system for the 206 for over a decade. No idea what the current status is.

OK, my thoughts for the perfect 182 for this job...

Airframe:
  • R model with the requested BRS
  • 2nd Gen SMA Aero-Diesel engine (not yet STCed). 260hp variant. 3 blade prop for ground clearance.
  • Flint tip tanks giving 111 gallons usable
  • Permanently installed fitting for plumbing in a TurtlePac ferry tank, can use the appropriate size tank for the mission of the day. Dual electric pumps, controls in instrument panel. A range of tanks is available from ~30 gal to sit on the rear seat, up to 160 gal to replace the rear seats.
  • Sportsman STOL, supposedly gives better short field performance with no speed loss at the high end.
  • Stene Aviation Qasar LED wingtips
  • Abrasion boot on the horizontal stabiliser for unpaved strips.
  • Sets of both normal landing gear with fairings, and large landing gear with large nose fork, to fit as desired for the mission.
  • BAS harnesses
Avionics:
  • G500 TXi with EIS, single large screen
  • WX500 stormscope
  • G5 or GI275 backup.
  • GFC500 autopilot
  • GTN750xi and GTN 650xi because why not.
  • GMA35c remote audio panel with Bluetooth for entertainment on the long legs
  • GTX45R remote Tx. There's only so much panel space, and a remote Tx is minimal risk, especially if both the 750 and 650 can control it.
  • 2 x Dual USB ports for charging devices
  • Mounting point for a Garmin Inreach
  • Optional HF radio/sat-phone plumbed into audio system

Any 182 would work fine for your mission.
I can however tell you what I have and my thoughts.

I have a 182P with PPONK engine and 3 blade Hartzell. I get about 8 - 10 knots better speed then stock. Fuel burn is about the same as stock if I pull back to keep it in the green (-140 knots.) Full power rate of climb is also much better than stock. But my full power climb fuel burn is quite a bit higher too.

I have the sportsman STOL with mico VGs. Dirty stall speed is around 40 knots (+- 2knots). The VGs make a big difference in control surface authority at slow speeds! I highly recommend them. Coming in slow 182s can get pretty nose heavy, the VGs make a noticeable difference (you wont runout of elevator).

As I said I have a P model. So I got the Fresh Pick STC (just a paper STC no actual modifications) that bumps the Maximum Gross Takeoff Weight (MGTOW) to 3100 pounds (up from 2950) This can only be done on a P or Q. This puts my useful load at just over 1300 lbs. I know that's not much of a concern for the OP but its nice to have.

I have the BAS harnesses. For me, they are a must have.

As for avionics, I think you should get what you like.

I have

GTN750 with FS 510 (absolutely love it! )
2 G5s (love them, makes IFR much easier for me)
GMA35c remote audio (wasn't sure about this when I got the plane, but its a very good system. I haven't had any issues)
GTX45R remote transponder (same thing., wasn't sure I would like it but its been perfect so far)
Trutrac autopilot (It works. I would prefer a GFC500)
JPI 900 (It's been flawless and I wouldn't want a plane without one. )

Someone else mentioned repairs. If you want to fly all over the Americas (not just the U.S. and southern Canada), then spares and repairability at remote airports will be important. Understood that you want the BRS, and that's fine, but otherwise, try to keep everything as stock as possible so that you have a better chance of finding parts locally or ordering them quickly AOG when you're stuck somewhere — in the long run, that will probably save you more time than a couple of extra knots here or there.

But going against my first advice, diesel (and Jet-A) are much more widely available than 100LL outside of the U.S. and southern Canada, so if money really isn't an object, a diesel-engine conversion could pay off big. For example, if you fly far enough north in Canada and you need 100LL, other pilots have told me that you sometimes need to make private arrangements with local band councils weeks in advance, buy it by the barrel (42 gal), and hand-pump it yourself. That may also be true in smaller towns and islands as you go south in the Americas. But there's always diesel, and there will be Jet-A at any airport that gets commuter flights.

Last edited:
OK, my thoughts for the perfect 182 for this job...

Airframe:
  • R model with the requested BRS
  • 2nd Gen SMA Aero-Diesel engine (not yet STCed). 260hp variant. 3 blade prop for ground clearance.
  • Flint tip tanks giving 111 gallons usable
  • Permanently installed fitting for plumbing in a TurtlePac ferry tank, can use the appropriate size tank for the mission of the day. Dual electric pumps, controls in instrument panel. A range of tanks is available from ~30 gal to sit on the rear seat, up to 160 gal to replace the rear seats.
  • Sportsman STOL, supposedly gives better short field performance with no speed loss at the high end.
  • Stene Aviation Qasar LED wingtips
  • Abrasion boot on the horizontal stabiliser for unpaved strips.
  • Sets of both normal landing gear with fairings, and large landing gear with large nose fork, to fit as desired for the mission.
  • BAS harnesses
Avionics:
  • G500 TXi with EIS, single large screen
  • WX500 stormscope
  • G5 or GI275 backup.
  • GFC500 autopilot
  • GTN750xi and GTN 650xi because why not.
  • GMA35c remote audio panel with Bluetooth for entertainment on the long legs
  • GTX45R remote Tx. There's only so much panel space, and a remote Tx is minimal risk, especially if both the 750 and 650 can control it.
  • 2 x Dual USB ports for charging devices
  • Mounting point for a Garmin Inreach
  • Optional HF radio/sat-phone plumbed into audio system

This is super helpful. Thank you.
Would you be concerned about the ability of a random mechanic in Chile to repair the diesel engine you suggested?

Any 182 would work fine for your mission.
I can however tell you what I have and my thoughts.

I have a 182P with PPONK engine and 3 blade Hartzell. I get about 8 - 10 knots better speed then stock. Fuel burn is about the same as stock if I pull back to keep it in the green (-140 knots.) Full power rate of climb is also much better than stock. But my full power climb fuel burn is quite a bit higher too.

I have the sportsman STOL with mico VGs. Dirty stall speed is around 40 knots (+- 2knots). The VGs make a big difference in control surface authority at slow speeds! I highly recommend them. Coming in slow 182s can get pretty nose heavy, the VGs make a noticeable difference (you wont runout of elevator).

As I said I have a P model. So I got the Fresh Pick STC (just a paper STC no actual modifications) that bumps the Maximum Gross Takeoff Weight (MGTOW) to 3100 pounds (up from 2950) This can only be done on a P or Q. This puts my useful load at just over 1300 lbs. I know that's not much of a concern for the OP but its nice to have.

I have the BAS harnesses. For me, they are a must have.

As for avionics, I think you should get what you like.

I have

GTN750 with FS 510 (absolutely love it! )
2 G5s (love them, makes IFR much easier for me)
GMA35c remote audio (wasn't sure about this when I got the plane, but its a very good system. I haven't had any issues)
GTX45R remote transponder (same thing., wasn't sure I would like it but its been perfect so far)
Trutrac autopilot (It works. I would prefer a GFC500)
JPI 900 (It's been flawless and I wouldn't want a plane without one. )

Thank you. This is very helpful. And even though I would not need the UL that you have, it means the plane is lighter by 300 lbs than some of the newer models. That has to translate into at least a better climb.

Someone else mentioned repairs. If you want to fly all over the Americas (not just the U.S. and southern Canada), then spares and repairability at remote airports will be important. Understood that you want the BRS, and that's fine, but otherwise, try to keep everything as stock as possible so that you have a better chance of finding parts locally or ordering them quickly AOG when you're stuck somewhere — in the long run, that will probably save you more time than a couple of extra knots here or there.

But going against my first advice, diesel (and Jet-A) are much more widely available than 100LL outside of the U.S. and southern Canada, so if money really isn't an object, a diesel-engine conversion could pay off big. For example, if you fly far enough north in Canada and you need 100LL, other pilots have told me that you sometimes need to make private arrangements with local band councils weeks in advance, buy it by the barrel (42 gal), and hand-pump it yourself. That may also be true in smaller towns and islands as you go south in the Americas. But there's always diesel, and there will be Jet-A at any airport that gets commuter flights.

Definitely something to think about. Thank you.

Others have said it.
Instead of making a 182 something it isn't, spend the money and get something that is.

C182 is exactly what I need. Can you share which other plane would fit my stated mission better?

Would you be concerned about the ability of a random mechanic in Chile to repair the diesel engine you suggested?

Yes, I would. You may have to fly a mechanic in. However they are generally pretty bulletproof engines; the weak point of the 1st generation was the alternator wiring fatiguing due to the vibration, and I had to repair that a few times. That's simple and any mechanic can do it; even an alternator swap can be done by anyone, really.

No, you said: "
If money was no object, help me create the perfect Cessna 182"
If money is in fact no object get an Epic Dynasty, A Saratoga, a C-206, heck get an Anotov.
Spending money to upgrade an existing airframe to make it perfect becomes an exercise in diminishing returns.

Please help me think about a perfect 182 for my needs. I am absolutely not interested in other planes.
- I want to be able to fly long cross-country within North and South America.
- I want to be able to fly into grass strips, but not anything short or rough
- It will have a BRS (this is not optional)
- I am happy to be on oxygen in mid to high teens
- It will carry 2 adults, so useful load is not critical
- IFR capable

If money is no object, which would you choose and why?
- Model and year? It has to be at least '64, as BRS cannot be installed on earlier models
- Engine? Stock, turbo, IO-550, PPonk?
- Prop? 2 or 3 blade? MT, McCauley, ...?
- Autopilot?
- Avionics?
- Which specific speed mods?
- STOL kit and/or VGs?
- Any other mods or accessories?
Hold up... Money is no object, useful load not important, only going to have 2 adults in it...how have you arrived at a 182 being appropriate for this mission?

Hold up... Money is no object, useful load not important, only going to have 2 adults in it...how have you arrived at a 182 being appropriate for this mission?

Why bother asking? He has determined that's the aircraft he wants. What are you going to say that will change his mind?

The OP:

I am absolutely not interested in other planes.

I wonder how people living in cities or suburbs and working office jobs end up arriving at "pickup truck" as the most-appropriate vehicle for their needs. Sometimes people just prefer something, I guess, practical or impractical.

Totally off topic, but a Beaver would be pretty cool — big enough to sleep in (sort-of), but it can get in and out of just about anywhere.
I think you can get a Beaver with a turbo prop that burns Jet-A. That combined with a 35Kt stall speed makes it attractive, but I don't think it is a nose wheel airplane and the 182 is.

This is super helpful. Thank you.
The Soloy Diesel Jet-A conversion uses a standard mechanical fuel system just like all diesels before EFI. Parts for that are readily available throughout the world and any diesel mechanic can repair it in a pinch. I could teach you how to replace the pumps and nozzles yourself, all you'd need is a small toolbox with one or 2 special tools. 227 HP, full power climb to over 20K, and 2/3 the normal fuel burn of avgas. It makes a powerful argument for your mission. Too bad it is so expensive, but not to you!

Last edited:
I think you can get a Beaver with a turbo prop that burns Jet-A. That combined with a 35Kt stall speed makes it attractive, but I don't think it is a nose wheel airplane and the 182 is.

The Soloy Diesel Jet-A conversion uses a standard mechanical fuel system just like all diesels before EFI. Parts for that are readily available throughout the world and any diesel mechanic can repair it in a pinch. I could teach you how to replace the pumps and nozzles yourself, all you'd need is a small toolbox with one or 2 special tools. 227 HP, full power climb to over 20K, and 2/3 the normal fuel burn of avgas. It makes a powerful argument for your mission. Too bad it is so expensive, but not to you!

Wow, just looked that up. With the install and taxes, we are looking at $250-300K for an engine. I know money is no object here, but why is this engine almost 10X the normal engines?

Back