KLUL - Laurel, MS Local Knowledge?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Mary and I are heading south the end of the month to Laurel, MS. My bride and I want to get back to our get-away four day fun travels. Anybody have info or local knowledge on the airport (KLUL)? The plan is to check out the HGTV show “Home Town” and all the local shops and eateries.

Airnav reviews and foreflight comments are very good.

Lots to do around Hattiesburg not far away. University of Southern Miss is in Hattiesburg (PIB) and there’s a lot of stuff just off of highway 49 near the school.

It’s too cold now but they do canoe trips around LUL on Black Creek. My brother and I have done that a bunch. Don’t know how COVID has effected that. It’s a nice getaway with the bride if she’s into that.

Hattiesburg/Laurel are communities with nice people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of what to do down there, but if you stop up in Tupelo (Ktup), Columbus (Kgtr) or starkville (Kstf) give me and @ktup-flyer a shout!

I'd never want to stop in Laurel for anything other in gas. That place creeped me out.

I'd never want to stop in Laurel for anything other in gas. That place creeped me out.

Why, specifically? We watch Home Town (home remodel show) based in Laurel. Looks kind of down home southern quaint.

Edit - changed Home Time to Home Town. I kept thinking “there’s some connection to Tim Allen here” and couldn’t figure it out until just now... more power!

Last edited:
Why, specifically? We watch Home Time (home remodel show) based in Laurel. Looks kind of down home southern quaint.

The hot dog roll neck deputy and mulleted gas station attendant looking at my friend and me a bit too much like a scene from Deliverance, along with the truck with the gun rack and Klan sticker that cut us off was enough to want to drive on to Hattiesburg for food.

The hot dog roll neck deputy and mulleted gas station attendant looking at my friend and me a bit too much like a scene from Deliverance, along with the truck with the gun rack and Klan sticker that cut us off was enough to want to drive on to Hattiesburg for food.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally land in a hollywood set that was making a movie about stereotypes?

How long ago was that?

I've only ever flown over or driven past, never stopped there. Know some folks from the area, seems like a nice enough place.

I personally like MS, very nice people, even when you (accidentally) steal their car.

I remember in 1982 I was driving to my first assignment which was Columbus AFB. I got turned around and stopped at a little gas station that was little more than a shack to ask directions. I noticed there were two restrooms labeled whites and colored.

I just left and asked directions from the guy selling "bald peanuts" down the road.

I used to live in MS, lower costs at that. You can hear all about the Civil War, from their side of things. They seem to talk about it more than us ‘northerners’.

If I add some jam to the grits, their fine. The deer are small, a 243 is plenty.

It’s about the buckle of the Bible Belt, church can always be a discussion item.

No it wasn’t bad living there, I heard Brett Farve is in the area, maybe a little further south. They used to have cheap fuel in Waynesboro.

Back