Physical Airport Status Map

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Hi all, I've seen this a few times. It's a physical posterboard of different VFR maps that has LEDs at the locations of the airports and the color of the LED changes base on if the airport is VFR / MVFR or IFR. Anyone know what these are called and or where to get them?

Thanks!!!!

The FAA has really good resolution TIF images of their different maps. Would be really easy to send to a printer so you get a nice glossy print as opposed to using paper with creases in it.

The FAA has really good resolution TIF images of their different maps. Would be really easy to send to a printer so you get a nice glossy print as opposed to using paper with creases in it.

FYI, I used the FAA sectionals, (had to combine two), and then I sent it to walgreens and they printed it out for me. It's really cheap, I think it cost me 30 bucks for a 24x36 print. Also you don't have to drill/cut holes in the picture, the LEDs will shine right through it. It looks much better that way as well, because if the LEDs are off, its just a framed sectional then.livesec.jpg

FYI, I used the FAA sectionals, (had to combine two), and then I sent it to walgreens and they printed it out for me. It's really cheap, I think it cost me 30 bucks for a 24x36 print. Also you don't have to drill/cut holes in the picture, the LEDs will shine right through it. It looks much better that way as well, because if the LEDs are off, its just a framed sectional then.View attachment 94461
Ya, I printed out of VistaPrint. Didn't know Walgreens could print up to 24*36. I've seen a few now that didn't have the lights poke threw. I like that better as well I think. They say just to double up the foam board to hold the led's flush against. I like your legend.
I saw another person that did one of their state as opposed to the square one. With the state cropped out. Even though I already had that one printed I might redo it like that. This is a little expensive for a gift but at the same time, it seams like a really nice gift idea.

upload_2021-3-7_22-54-56.png

Here is what I've got so far. I cut out and spliced the maps together since SC is over two different ones. This was more fun than I hoped since they were at slightly different angles, so getting them to line up was interesting to say the least. Then it seems like there was a lot of empty space so I added the major SC Airport Diagrams. Next to the Legend I'm going to put in one of those small displays to show my local airport (KGMU - Greenville) information.
Threw in some shadows, color gradients and the SC flag logo and I think it's coming along nicely. Not going to poke holes in it. I'll have two layers of foam board behind it to have the LED's go just under the airports so they glow, but will still look nice when there off.

What do you think so far? Anything you would change?

Wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks really good. I haven't seen any done as a full cutout of the state, now I've got to make one of those!

I know what you mean about merging the sectionals, we're on the edge of one here in central Ky so I had to do the merging as well.

Not poking holes is the way to go. I tried that with the first print I got and it's a nightmare trying to make clean holes without messing up the rest of the print. After I screwed that up, I got another print and found out holes aren't needed at all.

Back