G3X vs. G500Txi

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I know the G3x is cheaper, but I struggle to find the main differences?
At 10.6" the G3X is 2/3 of the G500 TXI cost, but why?

The G3X was born as an experimental product that was certified through an STC process. It's not a TSO'd piece of gear. The TXi is TSO'd and is a more robust piece of equipment and has much more capability. The G3X is quite nice, but plays primarily with Garmin stuff and only over digital databuses (RS232 and ARINC 429 via the GAD29B ARINC/CANBUS converter). It's also older technology than the TXi (slightly older processors, display tech, etc). If none of that matters to you, it's quite a nice piece of kit for the price. If you want to interface with a wider gamut of equipment (weather radar, radar altimeter, DME, ADF, analog navigators, 3rd party autopilots, etc) then the TXi is what you would need.

edit: Very similar to G5 vs GI 275 ... the 275 is TSO'd, has more capability, more interfaces, etc. And to clarify the 3rd party autopilot thing, the G3X and G5 can provide heading and course error signals to 3rd party autopilots, but can not switch nav 1/nav 2 (which is why they have the limitation on connecting only one navigator to them when installed w/ a 3rd party autopilot), nor can they drive an attitude based autopilot, you have to retain the AI to drive those. However a TXi or GI 275 _can_ do nav switching and can provide attitude reference to a number of third party autopilots (TXi requires a GAD 43/43e, GI 275 requires the ADAHRS+AP model).

Last edited:
The G3X doesn’t even interface with some other Garmin equipment, like GDL88. So decide what you need before deciding.

I made the decision to go with the G3X Touch system. It's currently being installed so I don't have first hand experience yet.

So many good points by Ryan and MooneyDriver. I had to ditch my wonderful GDL 88 ;) Also, the colors on the G3X Touch look different, like maybe 16-bit.

I call this a system because it really seems like an all integrated system (G3X Touch, GFC 500, G5, and more) on a dedicated bus. The experimental flavor of the system even includes its own ADS-B in/out transponder. The only way that it can connect to the outside world, in limited fashion, is through the GAD 29B. I think the G500 Txi has a ton of connectivity to avionics that I don't have and never will. For just a little more than the price of a single G500 Txi panel, I'm getting almost everything (dual G3X Touch, etc).

Aside from serving as a PFD, the G3X Touch has a sideline as a (WAAS?) VRF navigator.

The G3X doesn’t even interface with some other Garmin equipment, like GDL88. So decide what you need before deciding.

Yep, I should have probably said “plays primarily with a limited set of Garmin stuff” to have been more accurate!

...but can not switch nav 1/nav 2...

I wonder if changing the Nav source on the G5 also changes it on G3X Touch? Maybe the selection really happens at the GAD 29B level.

I wonder if changing the Nav source on the G5 also changes it on G3X Touch? Maybe the selection really happens at the GAD 29B level.

In the switching regard I was referring to the analog nav signals going to a 3rd party autopilot.

But for what you are referencing, I believe that the nav selection is communicated over the CANBUS and they do synchronize, but not 100% positive. To my knowledge there is no switching per se in the GAD29, it just takes the ARINC 429 packets in and converts them to CAN packets and vice versa. The packets are tagged with the SDI so the data for the different navigators isn’t mixed up.

What most people see as the G3X Touch is really the GDU460 display. G3X is a system. My own (experimental) includes the GDU460, GSU25 air data computer, GPS20A gps receiver,
GTR20 remote comm, GTX23ES transponder w/ ADS-B out, GDL39R ADS-B in receiver, GMU22 magnetometer, EIS sensor kit, 2 GSA28 AP servos, antennae, and install kits. My total parts bill not including wire and pins. How many external parts are required with the 500TXi?

What most people see as the G3X Touch is really the GDU460 display. G3X is a system. My own (experimental) includes the GDU460, GSU25 air data computer, GPS20A gps receiver,
GTR20 remote comm, GTX23ES transponder w/ ADS-B out, GDL39R ADS-B in receiver, GMU22 magnetometer, EIS sensor kit, 2 GSA28 AP servos, antennae, and install kits. My total parts bill not including wire and pins. How many external parts are required with the 500TXi?

The TXi is also a system. A number of display option configurations are available like the G3X. EIS requires a GEA 110 or GEA 71B + engine sensors. You have to order the GDU with ADAHRS or you'll need either a GSU 75 or GDC 72+ GRS 79 (unless you are a G500 upgrade in which case you'd use the pre-existing GRS 77 and GDC 74). Need a GMU 44B magnetometer (or pre-existing GMU 44 when doing a G500 upgrade). If you need to drive attitude to a third party autopilot you'll have to add a GAD43 or GAD43e. If you want to interface a weather radar, DME, analog navigator, etc you'll need a GAD43e. So all in all, very similar in that there are a number of external pieces that make up a "G500 TXi" just like a "G3X Touch"

Last edited:
Just pics on Garmin's website for me...

Well, with G3x on backorder this topic is current again.
Looking at things:
G3X allows remote Com/Nav control
G3X allows remote Xpdr control
G3X has standard SynVis
G3X has standard Connext
G3X has standard ChartView

This means a G500Txi with Synvis, Connext and Char view costs $9k more than a G3x

That is a large chunk of money, for still missing the remote control functions.
Other than connect to things most Single Engine GA planes don't have (and being in stock) ... any other advantage of the G500TXi?

I had a G3X installed in my Bonanza. I love it.
That is a great looking panel!
How did you decide on the black for the panel?

What are the buttons on the right side of the pilot yoke?

Last edited:
That is a great looking panel!
How did you decide on the black for the panel?

What are the buttons on the right side of the pilot yoke?

Thanks!

Its actually dark gray, and it is the same color as the panel on my work airplane. I liked that color, so figured I would match it.

TX XFR switches the audio panel between COM1 and COM2
OAT COMP turns the light on for the compass and the OAT gauge. Odd spot for it, but whatevs.
The last button is a up/down slider, and if you push it up, it flip/flops the NAV1 frequencies, and if you push it down, it flip/flops the COM1 frequencies.

I had a G3X installed in my Bonanza. I love it.

View attachment 96303
I had planned the G3X route eventually, but a guy just upgraded his G600 to Txi and wants to sell me the old G600. I think it is a bit overkill for a 185; not sure it makes any sense over a new G3X touch. I only have a 430W and a gtx345 for the G3x to interface with; ideally will add the garmin autopilot and an attitude reference at some point to fly the coupled approaches.

Back