Non-owned/rental insurance options?

Eric Lehto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lombard
Even though I own, I've been maintaining non-owner/rental insurance, just in case I decide to rent something different. My renewal for AOPA/Assured Partners is due. I went in to renew, but now it's asking for specific makes for aircraft I plan to fly, as well as hours in type. Problem is, I don't know this info, since it's a just in case type of thing. Even worse, I'm contemplating getting my seaplane rating this year, so I may actually have need for non-owned insurance coverage. I read the policy I have for my plane, and I don't see any coverage for me in non-owned aircraft.

So, what options are out there nowadays for rental insurance that doesn't require specific make/model/hours?

Just tell them the truth...you have no current plans, but are giving them money in case plans develop.

Since you own, have you asked the agent for your owner policy?

If the existing provider of your owner policy doesn’t cover you for liability in a rental, maybe another provider will.

I just got short term renters insurance from STARR to have required coverage for my IR intensive. Link here:https://www.starrgate.com/

They only asked about TT and Wings, etc. Also if I'd ever been involved in a crash or incident.

John

Try an independent aviation insurance broker who can shop it around to all the insurance companies for the best policy.

Insurance and what it actually covers is vague at best. I have looked, and didn't find anything I liked, yet. Lots of liability and not much coverage for it. I don't mind being responsible for an airplane mishap, but the wrongful dealth..........now thats an issue no matter if its an bystander on the ground, or a passenger.

Just mailed in my update for from avemco. There were no questions like that on there.

be honest - you don’t know.

I’m pretty sure most owners policies cover rental planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back