Foggles for use w/those who wear glasses.

pb172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pb172
I haven't seen anything north of a cessna dash for quite some time and am enjoying every minute, except the part when I put on the foggles.

Are there any foggles you guys know of that are good for those wearing glasses? My problem is close up vision, not distant. FAA says I only need them "available". Maybe I'll just try without them as a test.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use this
I use these and like them better than foggles. I wear bifocals and these cover all the distance vision portion which is a pain sometimes

I haven't seen anything north of a cessna dash for quite some time and am enjoying every minute, except the part when I put on the foggles.

Are there any foggles you guys know of that are good for those wearing glasses? My problem is close up vision, not distant. FAA says I only need them "available". Maybe I'll just try without them as a test.

Thanks.
Try without them but if your near vision is an issue remember that it's not as much about seeing the instruments as reading the charts.

I haven't had a problem with glasses. I've been using the VBAN product for several years but most of the lightweight ones like the ones @genna mentioned would work. If all else fails, you can go to a more traditional training hood (Edit: I see @Salty mentioned one too.). Plenty if these still on the market and they do the job.
upload_2021-3-1_6-58-47.png

Last edited:
A little off topic, but an interesting observation in my own IR training going on at the moment:
I used the foggles type cited by the OP rather than the hood type. The foggles (going over my glasses, incidentally) of course have the straight edge forming the top of the foggles. I look underneath to see the instruments per the design.

However, as part of my view, I can see the instruments plus the curved glareshield section that is just above the six pack. Because of this, the straight edge of the foggles generally line up with the curved section of the glare shield forming a psuedo horizon! This curvature against straight edge causes me to unconsciously attempt to line them up and put me into a turn. It's the craziest thing to see when I catch myself doing it.

When I correct myself according to the AI, now it FEELS like I'm in a turn because of the misalignment of the glare shield and foggle straight edge and I have to concentrate on the AI even more than I would normally.

For this very reason (whole reason for my post) I have changed from using the blacked out foggles (which the OP cited) to the "frosted safety glasses type." These limit the view outside sufficiently and also have the straight edge on top, but because they are transparent/frosted, the effect is not nearly as bad.
YMMV

I’ve had moderate success with the Jepp Shades and glasses. I put the bridge of the shades behind the glasses which works. Granted, it is annoying to wear more than an hour. My biggest grip on the jepshades is the are fragile and tend to break after a few years.

I’m going to try the ASA clip on that @genna suggested. They look promising.

@bbchien has a template to make a hood out of a manilla file folder and strips of elevator you can get from the fabric store.

Hopefully he will share it

However, as part of my view, I can see the instruments plus the curved glareshield section that is just above the six pack. Because of this, the straight edge of the foggles generally line up with the curved section of the glare shield forming a psuedo horizon! This curvature against straight edge causes me to unconsciously attempt to line them up and put me into a turn. It's the craziest thing to see when I catch myself doing it.

When I correct myself according to the AI, now it FEELS like I'm in a turn because of the misalignment of the glare shield and foggle straight edge and I have to concentrate on the AI even more than I would normally.
With the possible exception of the Francis Hood (photo; I have one I save for pilots who don't bring their own. Never happens again :D), they are all going to give you some degree of peripheral vision.

I think what you describe is actually a good thing. Real IFR is going to have a lot of peripheral motion which is going to produce visual illusions and the assoiated disorientation of motion up, down, left and right. So it actually makes the experience more realistic.

upload_2021-3-1_8-50-20.png

appreciate all the ideas...

am going to eye dr later today and see if they can find a prescription lens the general shape of my foggles. the plan is to get lenses cut to a shape slightly larger than the foggles clear lense area, then add a few dots of clear silicone around the edge over the opaque area and make them permanent.

I use a pair of plastic safety googles duct-taped to block out the same areas as foggles. First time I used them I realized I needed to bring the tape down a little further and 45 the left corner to eliminate the lower corner "peek." They may look like hell but they are cheap, fit over my glasses (although make a bigger tunnel through my earpieces) and can be modified for a perfect blackout for the cost of a foot or so of duct tape.

My vision isn't so bad, so I just put my glasses in my shirt pocket while I'm under the hood. I can still see the panel. Easy to switch back when I "break out."

I use this

I've been using these for the past year. Here's my take:

Pros
1) Cheap. If you loose them you can buy another and be happy
2) Easy to put on and to remove
3) Easy to just flip them up when you hit minimums and flip them back on the missed approach
4) Small and light, doesn't take much space at all

Cons
1) It's made of plastic and very flexible. Depending on how you keep it, you may have to reset the sides to 90 degrees
2) The piece of metal that holds on to your glasses has a protective piece of rubber on it so it doesn't scratch your lenses. That thing has a tendency to fall off. You may inadvertently wear the foggles without that and end up with scratched prescription glasses.
3) They're black. So if you throw them on a back full of black cables, black iPad, black ipad mount, the foggles will disappear... :)

I have a different solution - my eyeglasses are built "narrow", a shape called P3. They are specifically designed to go under a breathing mask and therefore work well under normal foggles.

I also have a Francis Hood and hope I never have to use it.

I use a pair of plastic safety googles duct-taped to block out the same areas as foggles. First time I used them I realized I needed to bring the tape down a little further and 45 the left corner to eliminate the lower corner "peek." They may look like hell but they are cheap, fit over my glasses (although make a bigger tunnel through my earpieces) and can be modified for a perfect blackout for the cost of a foot or so of duct tape.

What my son does too. Allows you to tailor the FOV to include less of the left side and more of the right side.

I've been using these for the past year. Here's my take:

3) They're black. So if you throw them on a back full of black cables, black iPad, black ipad mount, the foggles will disappear... :)

And if you leave them in the sun the sides will fall flat as pancake. AMHIK. Very malleable back into desired shape though.

I also wear glasses when flying, and I gave up on the foggles over the glasses, as they were too uncomfortable and the ear cups on the headset didn't seal quite right. Just like Genna and others have posted, I got overcasters that clip on / flip up and down. Works very well for me.

https://www.sportys.com/overcasters-view-limiting-device.html

19562.jpg

2) The piece of metal that holds on to your glasses has a protective piece of rubber on it so it doesn't scratch your lenses. That thing has a tendency to fall off. You may inadvertently wear the foggles without that and end up with scratched prescription glasses.

My experience with Overcasters was similar to MacFlier's, but as long as I am careful with them, the only real issue was the loss of the protective rubber on the glasses clips. Once one came off of mine I removed the others and replaced all of them with small pieces of rubber heat shrink tubing. Good cushioning and stays attached. Far and away the most convenient view limiting device to wear with glasses. In particular it makes it easy to transition to the visual phase of an approach without disturbing either the glasses or headset.

Try a Hoody.

It slides on to a regular baseball cap. I use it and it works the best of anything I've tried. You just adjust the cap to get your view restricted to wherever you need. It is the least intrusive of any view limiting device that I tried and slide on and off of the brim of a cap quickly and easily.

http://flighthoody.com/index.html

I try to find IMC days to go actually fly "in the soup". Best way to stay proficient.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

My primary training we used one of the old JiffyHoods:

13-03457.jpg

The only thing I remember was my flight instructor (who was also my roommate for a time) used to wear it when he was on the way home from drinking. He said it helped him concentrate on the lines. I'm always surprised I lived through that portion of my life.

My primary training we used one of the old JiffyHoods:

13-03457.jpg

Looks like the hood I saw in the 60’s.

I was a child, and my Dad rented a club Cessna. We flew often over New Mexico in the summer, where bouncing in the thermals made me throw up. A lot. So I associated small planes with vomiting. For me, everything about flying was barf and sic sacs.

Well, one day when we were loading our bags into the Cessna at the airport, I saw something that looked just like that photo. Somebody had left it in the plane.

What could it be I wondered? The only practical use for it that I could imagine was as a funnel for barf. Fasten a sic sac to the small end, barf into the big end. Seemed like it would work.

Then my Dad explained what it was really for, and I was kind of disappointed.

That was my solution as well. I used painters tape and kept tweaking it to fit my view.

Looking at the necro date…ahhh, good times.

Try a Hoody.

It slides on to a regular baseball cap. I use it and it works the best of anything I've tried. You just adjust the cap to get your view restricted to wherever you need. It is the least intrusive of any view limiting device that I tried and slide on and off of the brim of a cap quickly and easily.

I use this too and it’s easy to remove when you get to minimums.

Try a Hoody.

almost always wear a ball cap when flying - going to try this

I just take my glasses off, I can see the panel well enough (and it just enhances the fogging aspect of the foggles for distance).

Something I’d love to try (both as pilot and as instructor) is the Icarus Device.

the idea and product look worthwhile… but the price tag…. Ooof!

Back