On this day in history...

Track-Up is a heresy.
:D

How much longer until they offer track-right?

It was a year ago today that someone exposed my tower crew to COVID and half of us had to stay home for a week.

Track up is the correct way... That IS track RIGHT.

C'mon, track up worked for AAA "trip ticks"*

And, it's how we learned xc on a sectional....

Sheesh it's the ONLY WAY!

*Anybody remember those?

Speak for yourself
Well we did back in the day before headsets. When all we had was a mic and the overhead speaker... When we flew by water towers to make sure this was the checkpoint when we flew over..

Way back then....

LOL. I just saw the historical note from 8 years ago and felt like stirring the pot this morning. LOL

Well we did back in the day before headsets. When all we had was a mic and the overhead speaker... When we flew by water towers to make sure this was the checkpoint when we flew over..

Way back then....
I do that just fine with the Chart sitting’ in my lap North up.

*Anybody remember those?

this belongs in the Medical subforum....... "I fly track up, will they take my medical away?

and the answer is, "they should"

*Anybody remember those?

I do! I remember as a kid going with Mom to AAA to pick them up before family trips. They were, perhaps, the earliest implementation of 'follow the magenta line'! Though I think AAA actually used yellow highlighters.

03-02.jpg
03-02a.jpg

At the time of that first flight the prototype (c/n 23-01) was still known as the "Twin Stinson". The fuselage was steel tube with fabric covering; and the airplane had a twin tail. The initial engines were 125 hp with fixed-pitch props.

pa-23_3.jpg

Soon the twin tail was replaced by the rounded vertical tail of the abandoned single-engine PA-6 Sky Sedan, power increased to 135 hp per side with feathering props, and an all metal fuselage was designed.

I got my AMEL-CFI in N4374P, a 160 hp Apache that had been the cover girl of the 1961 brochure. It wasn't quite so shiny when I got my hands on it ten years later. It was a sweet-flying, if underpowered, airplane, and I loved it. We called it the "Apathy".

156256911_274402350762578_4344563907638651243_n.jpg

I would have never known. I have almost 72 years on Earth and maps have always been north up. I never saw any need to make LCD maps any differently.

*Anybody remember those?

Sorry, I always used my charts with North up. Books are read with the top up. Why would one even think of not reading a map or a chart with the top up?

Dern new fangled tech..... turns the world upside down.

So, do track-uppers just suffer through reading all the chart labels upside down when they’re heading south-ish? That’s the part I never got.

34 years ago yesterday (2 March) the F-8 Crusader (an RF-8) flew its final flight in US Navy service.

Nauga,
who doesn't care which way you hold your map

So for you all in the north-up camp... is that true north or magnetic north? ;)

On this day in history, one year ago, I was honored to become a member of a fine group known world wide as P.O.A. :D

Back