JPI EDM 830 & GTN 650xi

Tan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheCapTan
Hi,

Anyone have an edm 830 connected to a GTN 650xi? manual only has settings for 530/430 series.

Not quite, but I have a GTN650 connected to a 930. Which setting are you looking for?

FADC Format 1 In, Aviation out on the GTN Xi and format 6 (to waypoint) or format 7 (to destination) on the JPI.

My JPI800 is connected to the 650, so the 830 should as well

FADC Format 1 In, Aviation out on the GTN Xi and format 6 (to waypoint) or format 7 (to destination) on the JPI.
Hey Ryan,
Plane is almost out of annual. Im unfamiliar with FADC Format 1. Is that in the config menu of the 650 xi?

Hey Ryan,
Plane is almost out of annual. Im unfamiliar with FADC Format 1. Is that in the config menu of the 650 xi?

Yes, in the configuration menu for the RS232 ports, it’ll be one of the options for the input format.

0435D473-374A-40BD-9A73-99B5D4EAAE8E.jpeg

The FADC Format 1 was known as Shadin-FADC on the GNS, which is what JPI has directions for.

thanks Ryan.

Yes, in the configuration menu for the RS232 ports, it’ll be one of the options for the input format.

View attachment 91696

The FADC Format 1 was known as Shadin-FADC on the GNS, which is what JPI has directions for.

I can't upload a file as this site does not support certain formats. but my I changed the In on my GTN to FADC Format 1 and my out is Aviation output 1. JPI is set to destination. During my flight I get NO GPS Signal even though I have a destination selected.

Hmm, are you sure it’s the proper in/out port on the GTN? Are you receiving FADC data on the GTN?

Are you sure it isn't fuel format 3? I can't recall the exact setting on mine, but it had the word Shadin and no FADC

There is a troubleshooting step that i saw my installer did, i cant recall exactly what he did, but there is a menu in GTN where you can select the port and see the raw data coming coming in / going out? may be Ryan K knows

Are you sure it isn't fuel format 3? I can't recall the exact setting on mine, but it had the word Shadin and no FADC

FADC Format 1 is what was "Shadin-FADC" on the GNS series, which is what is to be used when using GPS-C format 6 (to waypoint) or 7 (to destination) on the JPI, which is also what you need if you want all the extra data (such as OAT) to be sent from the JPI to the navigator. If you are using format 1 on the JPI, then you would use Fuel Format 2 (what used to be "Shadin-fuel" on the GNS series), but this is much more limited data. See https://www.jpinstruments.com/technical-support/gps-interface-connections/

However, that setting won't affect the "NO GPS" message... that's strictly the output format (and/or the physical connection and port) on the GTN.

There is a troubleshooting step that i saw my installer did, i cant recall exactly what he did, but there is a menu in GTN where you can select the port and see the raw data coming coming in / going out? may be Ryan K knows

If you boot the unit to config mode, then go to GTN Diagnostics, then Serial inputs, you can then select the various serial input ports and it'll display the raw data stream arriving on that port. Mostly useful for determining if anything at all is arriving on that port, but if you know what you are looking for you can also see that port X looks like alt data and port Y looks like a shadin fuel sentence, etc.

If you boot the unit to config mode, then go to GTN Diagnostics, then Serial inputs, you can then select the various serial input ports and it'll display the raw data stream arriving on that port. Mostly useful for determining if anything at all is arriving on that port, but if you know what you are looking for you can also see that port X looks like alt data and port Y looks like a shadin fuel sentence, etc.
I saw some data the other day when I was in diagnostics. I waiting to hear back from the shop. EDM 830 works except the NO GPS Signal.

I saw some data the other day when I was in diagnostics. I waiting to hear back from the shop. EDM 830 works except the NO GPS Signal.
Hi Captan,
I have the same issue, did you find a solution?
Thanks
Andrew

Here are the settings I use on my 650xi (and previously 650) connected to my JPI830. Make sure you have 1) The wires corrected right. 2) The GTN settings to below (for your serial port) and 3) the JPI settings to format 7. If these settings don't work, something is wired wrong.
IMG-1242.JPG

No luck yet. I have to take it in.
Hi Tan,
Just following up on whether you sourced a solution. I’m starting to think the issue is with the EDM 830.
Thanks

Hi Tan,
Just following up on whether you sourced a solution. I’m starting to think the issue is with the EDM 830.
Thanks

I changed the setting to fadc 1 for input and fuel updates but I still don’t get gps destination. I still get “No gps Des” when I download the logs I do get gps coordinates though.

I changed the setting to fadc 1 for input and fuel updates but I still don’t get gps destination. I still get “No gps Des” when I download the logs I do get gps coordinates though.

Do you have a destination set in the GPS? As in are you navigating to somewhere? 'No GPS Des' is different than 'No GPS' If you are just flying around with no destination set, it doesn't know how to calculate the fuel to destination since it's not receiving one.

Do you have a destination set in the GPS? As in are you navigating to somewhere? 'No GPS Des' is different than 'No GPS' If you are just flying around with no destination set, it doesn't know how to calculate the fuel to destination since it's not receiving one.

With a destination. I know that fuel way quantity updates correct but nothing else. But when I pull data logs it shows gps.

With a destination. I know that fuel way quantity updates correct but nothing else. But when I pull data logs it shows gps.

And you are flying towards that destination within 70 degrees (I’d expect a different message, but who knows)

If your fuel quantity is updating, the JPI data is getting to the GTN, and if there is lat/long in the JPI data logs, the GTN aviation output is making it to the JPI. So I’m just not really sure why it would be showing those errors. Have you emailed JPI to check their thoughts? They are usually pretty responsive.

Hi Tan,
In the end both the EDM and 650 xi were replaced under warranty and now the EDM receives the GPS data. I suspect that JPI know there is an issue with the software on the EDM 830.

Hi Tan,
In the end both the EDM and 650 xi were replaced under warranty and now the EDM receives the GPS data. I suspect that JPI know there is an issue with the software on the EDM 830.

Jpi customer service is trash. Already bought a new probe for my unit. Defective EGT probe.

Not quite, but I have a GTN650 connected to a 930. Which setting are you looking for?
What are your settings for the 232 on the GTN and which setting do you have for the 930?

JPI does an awful job with documentation for the JPI 830. If you do any updates on the firmware, the input options will not always agree with the documentation. I suggest that you contact JPI and describe the equipment you have and the firmware version. They will send you a "cheat sheet" describing what you need to enter. If you can contact them while you are in the plane, they can provide you with detailed instruction on how to do it.

With the Shadin output do you get gps updates?
I have actual fuel information on the GTN from the 930 and distance/speed on the 930 that comes from the GTN, so I think the answer to your question is yes. I have fuel required to destination information on the 930 for example.

My gtn is set to that but my jpi is set to 7 dest

GPS-C setting 1, which outputs the Shadin 55 byte fuel flow sentence format, should be paired with Fuel Format 2 (what was called Shadin-fuel on the GNS series) on GTN/GTN Xi and 2" Navigators. GPS-C setting 6 (to waypoint) and 7 (to destination), both output the Shadin S fuel flow/airdata sentence format, and should be paired with FADC Format 1 (what was called Shadin-FADC on the GNS series) on GTN/GTN Xi and 2" Navigators. The "Fuel Format 2" will get you fuel flow only information, to the next waypoint. The "FADC Format 1" will get you fuel information as well as OAT (if equipped). I generally always interface with the GPS-C set to 6 or 7 and the navigator set to FADC, to get the most info... If the output setting (GPS-C) on the JPI isn't paired with the proper configuration on the Garmin unit, it won't be able parse the data correctly.

It boggles my mind that JPI/GTN configuration data hasn't been nailed down by JPI. These radios have been on the market for over a decade.

Back