New to this site

KevinB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kbell
Hello all !, My Wife and i just purchased a 1979 Piper Tomahawk, It is in need of some TLC, but only 450+ hrs on Rebuilt lycoming in it. I am 65 and Retired and plan on getting my PPL with my own plane. I have been flying a lot in my life 50+ hrs as a young man but never took my checkride..went into the Army and since then have only flown Hanggliders and Ultralights (probably 600+ hrs in ultralights) but now i want to get my PPL and then my wife and i can do some fun flying. I may have some questions now and then for other pilots on this site and thought it could be useful. I hope everyone has a great weekend..fly safe!.

Hey! Welcome aboard!

Congrats on your new plane Kevin! Sounds like a good/well thought out plan you have. Fun flying adventures with the wife is the perfect goal.

welcome and congrats on your new plane. Good luck with your PPL, sounds like you know what you are getting into. How much did you pay for the Tomahawk?

Welcome. I did primary training for PVT in a PA38. Congrats!

Welcome. Would love to see some pics of the plane! I considered a tomahawk as well - they are good looking vintage 2 seaters. They are just so much harder to come by that 150's though, so I ended up going that route.

Congrats!

Welcome !

And we are 'mostly harmless' here.

Welcome-- congrats on the purchase!

I did all of my primary training in the Traumahawk too. You will love it! :cheers:

Hope you post some pics.

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. I hope you and your wife have many happy flights together.

Welcome! Coffee and donuts are over there in the corner. Pull up a keyboard and join in. Keep us posted on your training progress.

Welcome, Kevin. In what part of the world are you?
Hi Rusty..i live in Louisiana..but my plane is hangered in Natchez,Ms. Are you in Ensenada?..my wife and i lived there for a few months a few years back..then we moved to north of there and actually lived at the feet of the Jesus statue in Rosarito.

Hi Rusty..i live in Louisiana..but my plane is hangered in Natchez,Ms. Are you in Ensenada?..my wife and i lived there for a few months a few years back..then we moved to north of there and actually lived at the feet of the Jesus statue in Rosarito.

yes! So nice to see someone with some Baja experience here.

we are in San Miguel (km99) just North of town.

typing this currently from our home in Phoenix.

Hello all !, My Wife and i just purchased a 1979 Piper Tomahawk, It is in need of some TLC, but only 450+ hrs on Rebuilt lycoming in it. I am 65 and Retired and plan on getting my PPL with my own plane. I have been flying a lot in my life 50+ hrs as a young man but never took my checkride..went into the Army and since then have only flown Hanggliders and Ultralights (probably 600+ hrs in ultralights) but now i want to get my PPL and then my wife and i can do some fun flying. I may have some questions now and then for other pilots on this site and thought it could be useful. I hope everyone has a great weekend..fly safe!.
Welcome to POA

welcome and congrats on your new plane. Good luck with your PPL, sounds like you know what you are getting into. How much did you pay for the Tomahawk?
Good day..well i actually paid 10k for it..and anticipating another 4k into it to get it airworthy and extensive annual done. The motor only has 640hrs remanufactured and installed so that is a plus. I am currently working on the instrument panel and updating it a bit and i just re-furbished the worn out yokes in it, (they came out nicely). when i can this spring i am going to completely strip the paint , zinc chromate and paint it. then get the interior upholstery done up nicely. It will be a great labor of love for me and my wife.

Welcome! Coffee and donuts are over there in the corner. Pull up a keyboard and join in. Keep us posted on your training progress.
I will post some photos along this journey..thank you and i appreciate the welcome!

Welcome-- congrats on the purchase!

I did all of my primary training in the Traumahawk too. You will love it! :cheers:

Hope you post some pics.
I think its a great plane for the money..i have always been a sort of adrenaline junkie..Hanggliding, ultralights, and being a Saturday night race driver for 13yrs...now in retirement, i wanted to be back in the air again where i belong, and i have a beautiful wife who is my life compass to share with..it does not get much better than that!.

Natchez is a great field - used to be our automatic fuel & stretch stop when flying to Tallahassee, and always had great folks there. Don’t get to go see Grandmother any more - she died (111 years old).

Keep us posted on your journey, and Welcome!

Natchez is a great field - used to be our automatic fuel & stretch stop when flying to Tallahassee, and always had great folks there. Don’t get to go see Grandmother any more - she died (111 years old).

Keep us posted on your journey, and Welcome!
Thank you...yes its a great field to call home..your grandmother made it to 111 yrs old wow!..what a celebration of life that is!. My father passed away 6 months ago..he was here living with me and my wife had 3 strokes in 2 yrs with us and last 5 months on hospice bedridden, Me and my wife took care of him..he was 95 and a WW2 Veteran..and my hero!..i miss him everyday but am so glad we had time with him. So enough blabbing. Maybe sometime we can buy you lunch if we make it through that way. Have a great day!

I wanted to also say i was surprised how much a difference there is in Hangar space fees. There is no hangar space anywhere close to me..that is why we chose Natchez Ms. Although we may move there is is such a great place to live. It is about a 2.5 hr drive for us from where we live in Leesville,La. but we are only paying $185 for a huge t-hangar..and later we may move into the big community hangar which is only $70 per month. Nearby Jasper tx. has hangar space available..but they want $350.00 for community or t-hangar rental..i wonder how it compares in other areas?..i use to have a brand new t hangar in Centralia,Wa. where i kept my last Ultralight and it was only $125 a month. I know big cities will charge a lot..but little towns??..come on!

Kevin, welcome! This place is a bizarre collection of insight and knowledge. Post some pictures of your plane!

Back