Mirage crashes in Worcester 2-2-2021

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
A Mirage crashed short of Worcester airport yesterday afternoon. 3 plus a dog survived. Looks like ice took him down. He was coming in after a snowstorm. Was still overcast with reports of freezing rain yesterday after noon IIRC.

Small plane crashes attempting to land at Mass. airport (wcvb.com)

'We've got a problem,' pilot of small plane that crash landed in Leicester field told airport tower (msn.com)

Private plane heading from MV crashes outside Worcester Airport - The Martha's Vineyard Times (mvtimes.com)

Last edited:
Right side up in one piece. Looks like he didn’t panic and kept flying the plane until the crash was over.

The tv station had some atc recordings, sounds like it happened fast.

Anyone else besides me think of one of these when people talk about Mirage airplanes? Made me wonder how a Mirage could carry 3 plus a dog. Similar effect to when someone posted several months ago that they saw a B-36 flying. No way they saw a Cold war era super bomber made by Convair. And when I read about a TBM, I get a mental picture of the WW2 Navy attack plane George H. W. Bush flew. Guess it comes from building lots of model airplanes in my younger days. Not much call for models of civillian GA planes, so the law of primacy ingrained into me what a real Mirage was. And it’s not some dinky Piper product!

59dcbdc0186c58158a869fa935c2caa3.jpg

A shorter flight doesn’t really let you climb above the crud. Can sit at a dangerous icing longer then you like. Pretty cool they all made it out with their lives. Looking at flight track looks like things got pretty slow easy to stall it but they kept flying to the ground

A shorter flight doesn’t really let you climb above the crud. Can sit at a dangerous icing longer then you like. Pretty cool they all made it out with their lives. Looking at flight track looks like things got pretty slow easy to stall it but they kept flying to the ground

I believe that precip they were flying through was freezing rain, there were reports of spot area yesterday around here.

Slow is not where you want to be with ice, but those are ground speeds, the wind was blowing pretty good yesterday.

Winds were NE 23 G39
Light Snow Fog/Mist and Breezy BKN008 OVC013

And when I read about a TBM, I get a mental picture of the WW2 Navy attack plane George H. W. Bush flew. Guess it comes from building lots of model airplanes in my younger days. Not much call for models of civillian GA planes, so the law of primacy ingrained into me what a real Mirage was. And it’s not some dinky Piper product!

I was on one of my first solo flights a few years ago in the pattern and tower advised me to be aware of a TBM entering the pattern downwind ahead of me. "This will be very cool"... Bit of a letdown. :D

Anyone else besides me think of one of these when people talk about Mirage airplanes? Made me wonder how a Mirage could carry 3 plus a dog. Similar effect to when someone posted several months ago that they saw a B-36 flying. No way they saw a Cold war era super bomber made by Convair. And when I read about a TBM, I get a mental picture of the WW2 Navy attack plane George H. W. Bush flew. Guess it comes from building lots of model airplanes in my younger days. Not much call for models of civillian GA planes, so the law of primacy ingrained into me what a real Mirage was. And it’s not some dinky Piper product!

59dcbdc0186c58158a869fa935c2caa3.jpg

Me! Had myself asking "Does the US have private Mirages flying?". France is still flying them, cool to see in real life.

Me! Had myself asking "Does the US have private Mirages flying?". France is still flying them, cool to see in real life.
They sure do. There's somewhere around 20-30 "Privately owned" F1 Mirage's in the US.

Glad I'm not the only one. I would have used Piper Mirage in the title instead of just Mirage. To me, a Mirage aircraft is, always has been, and always will be a French delta winged fighter jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They sure do. There's somewhere around 20-30 "Privately owned" F1 Mirage's in the US.
I counted 64 in the December 2020 US registry, although we don't know how many are flying. They're all registered to one of three companies:

- Airborne Tactical Advantage Company in Virginia (42)
- Draken International in Florida (20)
- Paramount Aerospace Systems in Texas (2)

Ron Wanttaja

I counted 64 in the December 2020 US registry, although we don't know how many are flying. They're all registered to one of three companies:

- Airborne Tactical Advantage Company in Virginia (42)
- Draken International in Florida (20)
- Paramount Aerospace Systems in Texas (2)

Ron Wanttaja

Looks like there was a crash of one of Airborne Tactical Advantage's Mirages a few days ago. Both pilots are recovering.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...lots-injured-in-tyndall-air-force-base-crash/

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/02/dassault-mirage-f1b-n601ax-incident.html

Real Mirage this time. As in the French made fighter.

This was posted over on the Viking pilots forum. Turns out that one of the forum members flies for Airborne Tactical.

Last edited:
Looks like there was a crash of one of Airborne Tactical Advantage's Mirages a few days ago. Both pilots are recovering.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...lots-injured-in-tyndall-air-force-base-crash/

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/02/dassault-mirage-f1b-n601ax-incident.html

Real Mirage this time. As in the French made fighter.

This was posted over on the Viking pilots forum. Turns out that one of the forum members flys for Arborne Tactical.

The one in Worcester was a "real" Mirage also, a Piper Malibu Mirage.

Loosing a French one is a bigger deal though. I think Piper still makes its Mirage. Can't say the same for France.

Very true, and out of the two, I would prefer a ride in the jet over the turboprop, both are cool, but different degrees.

Piper kind of still makes the Mirage, but rebranded it the M350. The difference being more tech and automation. Like automatic pressurization, built in pulse oximetry, Nxi avionics, but more importantly full envelope protection, including automatic engagement of the autopilot if the pilot inadvertently lost control. There is also auto-descent for an unresponsive pilot. Had the chance to fly one, was a really nice plane.

Back