Who's actually got their CFI-S?

I am certain a 250 hour CFI is better than a 150 hour LS CFI

Better at what? Not at teaching how to fly a nimble LSA with a minimal panel when all he knows is the truck like handling of a PA-28 or C-172 with a glass panel.

But we're not talking about 150 hour SP-CFIs, we're talking about experienced pilots (PP or SP) with lots of years and hours who decide to earn a SP-CFI later in life.

But we're not talking about 150 hour SP-CFIs, we're talking about experienced pilots (PP or SP) with lots of years and hours who decide to earn a SP-CFI later in life.
Or not. I've got less than 300 hours on my PP-ASEL ticket. No commercial, no instrument, no complex, no high performance. Not even tailwheel, though I'll have that eventually. I still think I'll be OK to teach day VFR flight.

Or not. I've got less than 300 hours on my PP-ASEL ticket. No commercial, no instrument, no complex, no high performance. Not even tailwheel, though I'll have that eventually. I still think I'll be OK to teach day VFR flight.
Teaching is more about teaching than flying. Like all of us, you’ll learn a little bit more about the flying part as you continue, but I think where the majority of “traditional” instructors fall down is the ability to adapt to teaching something they haven’t been specifically taught.

Teaching is more about teaching than flying. Like all of us, you’ll learn a little bit more about the flying part as you continue, but I think where the majority of “traditional” instructors fall down is the ability to adapt to teaching something they haven’t been specifically taught.
I have had no formal training as a teacher or instructor, barring a couple days while in the Army back in the late 70s. The first time I taught a class I was learning the material the night before as I worked up the lesson plan for the next day. I was teaching the hardware architecture, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of a very large mainframe computer system that I'd never worked on personally, and the students were Chinese with barely any ability to speak English. I think I'll manage. I certainly couldn't be any worse than a few of the so-called "real" CFIs with whom I've flown. Some have been great. Some have been just been instructing to build enough hours to get their next gig, and I hoped that happened very quickly.

As I've said before... I'm not doing this to become Joe Flight Instructor. It is not my dream to leave my current career to work for a flight school for a few percent of what I make now, nor do I plan to ruin my coming retirement by having a job that pays a bit over minimum wage. I'm doing it just because I can, and along the way I might teach a new pilot or two and give an occasional flight review.

Better at what? Not at teaching how to fly a nimble LSA with a minimal panel when all he knows is the truck like handling of a PA-28 or C-172 with a glass panel.

. Until a LS student shows up with this.
upload_2021-3-1_13-3-26.jpeg

troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream...................:rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? There are plenty of light sport airplanes with single and even dual Skyview HDX installed. Big deal. The airplane is blissfully unaware of what the panel looks like, they fly pretty much the same with or without all the bling. The cockpit lighting is entirely immaterial for day VFR flight.

. Until a LS student shows up with this.

It's all about the Benjamins ...

medium-instrument-interior-02.jpg

Back