Anybody interested to analyze their avionics/engine monitor/flight data?

I think avionics / flight data / engine analysis

• is very useful

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • isn’t necessary at all

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patrick

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pat
Hi,
I’m part of a small group of pilots that are working on a software for owner/pilots to analyze their flights using logfiles from avionics and engine monitor data logs. It can be from integrated avionics like Avidyne Entegra or Garmin 1000 (one source) or a combination, eg a Garmin G5 and and some engine monitor source that we can merge. We’ll try to make anything work, be it a C177 Cardinal with G5 and EI engine monitor or a C172 with G500Txi or any other equipment/combination.

Goal is to support many different airplane types and avionics combinations, from single pistons to multi turbines.

You’ll see all kinds of engine and performance data, graphs, maps, 3D and cockpit replay view.

If you’re interested please let me know.

Here’s how it works:

1) You tell us airplane type, avionics type and engine monitor.

2) We need one sample logfile and the POH/AFM for performance data to implement an aircraft profile.

3) You then get a login to upload your own logfiles.

4) You can use all the features.

We do not share/sell your data and you can delete it at your discretion.

Here‘s the deal:
You help us support more types and get to be early adopter ;)

I’ll post some screenshots below.

Thank you!
Patrick

Interesting that you made the poll choices either/or. I think that data analysis is both very useful but not entirely necessary.

There are many ways of doing this, with varying levels of effort, so a single app that "knows" how to do the ETL from multiple devices and manufacturers sounds interesting.

The problem will come with presentation. Is there a "standard profile" by engine, manufacturer, etc. My O-320 is not like most other O-320's because I have no mags or vacuum pump. It's also 160hp vs 150hp. What settings would go in to your app, and then, in the end, what analysis is going to be useful, other than trend information which I already get from the the clunky methods available.

So, not a bad project to undertake, but where is it really taking things?

Engine data can be verified useful, flight data not so much unless you are analyzing your figure 8s or turn around a point.

By the way, I think the forum software won't let you post pictures until you have 5 messages under your belt.

EDIT: Oh, looks like linked pictures don't count.

Last edited:
Interesting that you made the poll choices either/or. I think that data analysis is both very useful but not entirely necessary.

Good point, thank you. I tried but I can’t edit the poll. Anyway, it’s just to get the general feeling what people think about it.

Last edited:
There are many ways of doing this, with varying levels of effort, so a single app that "knows" how to do the ETL from multiple devices and manufacturers sounds interesting.

The problem will come with presentation. Is there a "standard profile" by engine, manufacturer, etc. My O-320 is not like most other O-320's because I have no mags or vacuum pump. It's also 160hp vs 150hp. What settings would go in to your app, and then, in the end, what analysis is going to be useful, other than trend information which I already get from the the clunky methods available.

So, not a bad project to undertake, but where is it really taking things?

Thank you for the thoughts. I just put a deposit on a plane with an STCd 160hp O-320, so I’m particularly interested in it ;)

If you have performance data from an STC or AFM/POH we can implement it so you have a comparison.

Longterm we’d like to offer comparisons to identical engine/airframe combinations („crowd data“). This could also be used as a baseline for data (real world vs. paper vs. one‘s own plane).

Trend reading is also a feature („CHT-3 continuously rising since 6 months“).

For particular engine and flight/air data values you can set your own limits as well.

Personally I like to also evaluate my own „flight behavior“, and it’s interesting to see e.g. how close to min. maneuvering/stall I was sometimes in a base to final turn. The software will also be able to give some qualitative feedback in this regard.

It’s just a cool project with a lot of love for flying.

We last implemented the G1000 T206 if anybody wants to check it out right away?

Anything else also welcome of course, just PM me please.

I like the idea of crowdsourcing data, similar to a major oil analysis lab that has enough data collected over the years to compare what they find in your sample to comparable engines and hours.

However, many of the performance parameters you offer to display/trend are a function of weight and weather. Will you account for those two variables?

Yes, if you fly today but upload in a month, archived wx data is automatically added.

Sounds pretty cool. I did something similar grassroots at home using data from the G1000 card and the Foreflight track long along with some other data points, it was pretty cool, at least as far as visualizing a flight and the data behind it

I like that you are incorporating POH AFM figures into it

That’s how it started ;)

Anyone interested, please msg me, we want to implement more planes, can also supply a link to one of my flights as a demo.

Here’s a feature request for you. I use garmin nav equipment, G5’s and gnc355, and get great data from them, sans engine data. I also have a jpi edm-900 which also provides great data. But I can’t integrate the two sources into one view like you show. Savvy aviation has great tools to depict the engine data and do analysis, and tools like CloudAhoy provide great ways to visualize the flight data, but I can’t see what speed I’m at with a given rpm and MaP because the two data points aren’t integrated. Drives me nuts. I’ve tried to decipher the jpis data, but have had no luck. They refuse to provide any information on their format to joe blow owner and it’s convoluted as hell.

anyway, integrate those two data streams and time sync them and you’ve got one customer here.

@Salty didnt ask for a solution from me, but in a classic POA fashion i am going to provide it to him nonetheless.

Take out the JPI 900 - dont let it go to waste, I will happily take it from you
install Garmin EIS - now all your flight data and engine data will be in sync in your garmin pilot

:D:D:D

What makes your solution different than CloudAhoy? They do engine data now, right? So in theory it gives me the same playback/review capabilities.

@Salty didnt ask for a solution from me, but in a classic POA fashion i am going to provide it to him nonetheless.

Take out the JPI 900 - dont let it go to waste, I will happily take it from you
install Garmin EIS - now all your flight data and engine data will be in sync in your garmin pilot

:D:D:D
You buy the garmin eis and you can have my edm-900

Here’s a feature request for you. I use garmin nav equipment, G5’s and gnc355, and get great data from them, sans engine data. I also have a jpi edm-900 which also provides great data. But I can’t integrate the two sources into one view like you show. Savvy aviation has great tools to depict the engine data and do analysis, and tools like CloudAhoy provide great ways to visualize the flight data, but I can’t see what speed I’m at with a given rpm and MaP because the two data points aren’t integrated. Drives me nuts. I’ve tried to decipher the jpis data, but have had no luck. They refuse to provide any information on their format to joe blow owner and it’s convoluted as hell.

anyway, integrate those two data streams and time sync them and you’ve got one customer here.

Yes, we do that. For instance, a pilot with a C177 Cardinal that was upgraded to Garmin G5 and EI CGR-30 uploads the logs from both units and they are automatically synced.

I’ll PM you.

Would the track data from a Garmin Aera work?

Anyone here fly a T206H that would be interested to upload logs from the G1000? I can show you a sample log and if you like it you're welcome to upload your flights yourself. Cheers, Pat

Asking for myself this time, I’m evaluating which engine monitor to buy and would be interested in the log data the different options provide.
Does anybody have an Insight product (G2 etc..) and could spare a log? Thanks

Back