It's an appliance trifecta

Dishwasher / washer / dryer failures are extinction level events around here. Dishwasher got replaced with Miele, W/D got replaced with LG.
We just got LG washer/dryer, and we love them. The new safety locks bug me, but the LG washer at least has a glass lid, so I can see what's going on.

That can actually be a problem. People open the dishwasher not knowing it's running.
Yup, I've did it a few times myself. Now I just look at the front to see what it is doing.

We normally set our DW to run overnight, so noise isn't a problem. If ours was quieter, we'd probably run it more during the day or after dinner. Will be looking at the Bosch models. I did look at Consumer Reports as a starting point. From their ratings, it seems like Bosch was the only brand they tested.

Stock is another problem right now. Looking at a few of the local appliance places, they have display models but are running 3-6 weeks out on getting things in stock.

To each their own, but I couldn't disagree more. Third rack is a waste of space for us, and we took that dishwasher back to get the two rack Bosch. For us (house with teens), our MUST HAVE is a good macerator. Our house is big and kitchen is at one end, so I couldn't care less about noise, although the Bosch is so quiet I can't hear it run.

And I seriously don't know how people like my parents make due without a dishwasher. We run ours up to 4 times a day. If we had to wash by hand, it would take hours. Too much time on your hands!

We scrape food off into the trash and spray them off prior to putting them into the dishwasher, so a macerator wouldn't be too useful for us. They claim it uses significantly more water to pre-rinse, but it takes 5-seconds per plate/bowl and using the spray setting on the sink faucet pretty much washes most larger pieces down the food disposal.

We just got LG washer/dryer, and we love them. The new safety locks bug me, but the LG washer at least has a glass lid, so I can see what's going on.

We bought a top of the line Maytag set about a year ago. Very nice units, but I'm very wary of all of the electronic gadgetry. The Maytag Neptune front loaders we replaced were 20 years old, I have my doubts that some expensive switch/circuit board won't fry and make the cost of repair too high to bother with. I also feel that they have way too many wash/dry options than what 90% of people ever use. We probably use 3-4 settings on the washer (whites, colors, delicates, sanitize) and 3 on the dryer (timed dry, regular, and steam refresh). The one thing that is nice on the dryer is it gives you the option to keep cycling itself on for a minute or so after a finished cycle until you open the door in order to keep wrinkles from setting in before you can unload it. The wifi app also lets you know when the washer/dryer load is done, how much time is left on the cycle, dispenser level, etc. Certainly not something I have to have, but it does cut down on some time between loads when you know exactly when it finishes. Wifi app means no loud chime to wake the kids up from an afternoon nap, either.

We scrape food off into the trash and spray them off prior to putting them into the dishwasher, so a macerator wouldn't be too useful for us. They claim it uses significantly more water to pre-rinse, but it takes 5-seconds per plate/bowl and using the spray setting on the sink faucet pretty much washes most larger pieces down the food disposal.
If you knock the chunks off prior to loading, I don't know the need for a macerator. I *think* our current washer has one, but I don't really know. I do know the screen into the drain area has very small openings and the only things I ever pick out of there are the pieces of silverware I drop through the lower rack once in a while.

It really seems to depend on how you were brought up. For me, we did it by hand, so using a d/w for the first time meant scraping and rinsing to the point there really was no point. By then you might as well have just dried everything and put it away. It took a long time to get used to it, but now I just scrape things clean and pass them quickly under the water before I load them. Since we only run ours a couple times a week, stuff can really get dried on tightly if it doesn't get at least a quick rinse to give the d/w a fighting chance.

If you knock the chunks off prior to loading, I don't know the need for a macerator. I *think* our current washer has one, but I don't really know. I do know the screen into the drain area has very small openings and the only things I ever pick out of there are the pieces of silverware I drop through the lower rack once in a while.

It really seems to depend on how you were brought up. For me, we did it by hand, so using a d/w for the first time meant scraping and rinsing to the point there really was no point. By then you might as well have just dried everything and put it away. It took a long time to get used to it, but now I just scrape things clean and pass them quickly under the water before I load them. Since we only run ours a couple times a week, stuff can really get dried on tightly if it doesn't get at least a quick rinse to give the d/w a fighting chance.

Agreed. Only time we do more than the quick blast under the sink spray is for something that got burned/sat out long enough that it needs to be soaked with Dawn first. I believe ours has the macerator, but it probably isn't necessary the way we prep the dishes.

Back