COVID testing rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I am in the middle of an emergency travel to India (family emergency, not my choice) and per their rule, you need a -ve RT-PCR test (something to do with international standards). the sample collection has to be a maximum of 72 hours before the travel. You cannot board the flight without that test result.

I dutifully show up at a testing center in Fargo, they took my info, said because this is travel related, we will try our best to get your results to you in 24 hours, if not, anywhere from 72 hours to 5 days. O great

Every center i called told me the same thing, we will have your results sometime between 24 - 96 hours. I took my chances and took the test.

Now i am in Chicago, was supposed to get on flight today at 6:30, no test results. Thankfully airlines are not charging change fees now. There is a private testing center at the airport, who will do the test and hopefully get you the result in 24-72 hours. or you can pony up and expedite the results within 24 hours - $230 fee + the testing fee ($145) - which i did again and hopefully can fly out tomorrow.

<RANT ON>
Germany is doing test for 36 Euro, guaranteed result within 24 hours, most are getting their results in 8 hours - I know a buddy of mine just did it.
New Delhi is doing the tests at the airport (some $35), guaranteed result in 8 hours, believe they have set up a lab at the airport itself.

Why cant we do something like this? I get Fargo is a no mans land... but not even Chicago? you kidding me?

<RANT OFF>

b/w if someone is planning to travel for whatever reason, the hotels now sucks big time. none of the restaurants are open and/or very limited take out menu options and i am talking like 3 type of sandwich and thats it.

Done several here in Houston $125.00 and back within 24 hours for travel...never a guarantee but always back the next day.

TUL actually has the lab on-site so they can get your results very quickly.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

TUL actually has the lab on-site so they can get your results very quickly.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Just looked it up, looks the first one in the country. I had to come to ORD anyway for a visa, but good to know

I wonder if/when places will start accepting proof of vaccination instead of tests.

Yep, we have failed to deliver super simple tests to the masses. Sorry.

I’ve heard good things from Walgreens PCR tests. Lots of people getting results back within 24-36 hours. Locations definitely vary though. I’m going to St Lucia next week and have to get a test within 5 days. I’m going to get tested at two different places just in case the results don’t come back in time.

I wonder if/when places will start accepting proof of vaccination instead of tests.
Among many of the other guidelines for weddings in NY, if you are fully vaccinated, you don’t need a negative Covid test to go to a wedding. I wouldn’t be surprised if countries start requiring the vaccine to gain entry.

At least cases are coming down, hopefully some of this testing eases at some point.

Mexico even has the US beat. Heading there next week and tests are $30 with guaranteed results within 24 hours.

Test takes maybe two hours, if they don't know what they're doing. Don't know why results take as long as the do. Administrative stuff probably.

My university requires tests 1-2x per week to maintain campus access. They get results consistently within 12-24 hours. I’ve never had to wait longer.

Testing companies see a market of people who will pay for faster turnaround for travel and have few incentives to get testing done more quickly. That’s capitalism for you.

I did some reading last night, and looks like the RT-PCR requires a complex machine and time it takes to do whatever they do before it goes in the machine. I still can’t believe we can’t do better than this.

When I got the first shot, the nurse said make sure you keep the the card, that might be the next passport for all we know.

They are charging what the market will bear and are basing pricing on value to the customer.

The goal is maximization of profit.

Other countries see it differently.

well its a private company, the one i am referring to, and by their mission, they are supposed to make money. i dont blame them for monetizing an opportunity . we all do that to some extent. I was speaking to a colleague of mine today , her fiancée needed a test for whatever urgently and in NYC he had to pay $530 and it was still a 24+ hours turn around.

I am still amazed that 1 year into this mess, this is where we are as a country... I will leave it that so that the thread dont venture into other territories...

b/w i got my test results back from ND Dept of Health, which is of no use to me now since the specimen was collected more than 72 hours ago

I did some reading last night, and looks like the RT-PCR requires a complex machine and time it takes to do whatever they do before it goes in the machine. I still can’t believe we can’t do better than this.
Better how, exactly? RT-PCR does require a complex machine, though I doubt it exceeds the complexity found in your average HD TV or desktop computer. You do have to do a short purification step to get the DNA out of the sputum sample, as there are enzymes in sputum that destroy DNA. You can go from spit to result in a half hour if you really know what you're doing, though I think a half hour will only confirm a raging infection. You need an hour's run to rule out a minor infection.

Go from question to result in an hour or so and people *****.

Better how, exactly? RT-PCR does require a complex machine, though I doubt it exceeds the complexity found in your average HD TV or desktop computer. You do have to do a short purification step to get the DNA out of the sputum sample, as there are enzymes in sputum that destroy DNA. You can go from spit to result in a half hour if you really know what you're doing, though I think a half hour will only confirm a raging infection. You need an hour's run to rule out a minor infection.

it is my understanding that the test i am referring to RT-PCR has to be Nasopharyngeal. the Rapid Antigen test you can get in matter of mins, but thats not valid for international travel, including entry to US

What he says ^^^^^^^

I was curious, since my neighbor said they offered testing at SFO. It's only if you originate in SFO or are an airport employee, though. Takes 15 minutes, according to this. However it costs about $400 (I think). United offers one for $250 if you are going to Hawaii, but not sure if it is this test.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.40.33.png

I was curious, since my neighbor said they offered testing at SFO. It's only if you originate in SFO or are an airport employee, though. Takes 15 minutes, according to this. However it costs about $400 (I think). United offers one for $250 if you are going to Hawaii, but not sure if it is this test.

View attachment 94368
thats the RA test, not valid for international travel, at least to my destination and from what i can gather not while i am returning to US too

Yep, we have failed to deliver super simple tests to the masses. Sorry.
There are plenty of simple, accessible, and fast tests. There's a company here doing testing out of a shipping container in gas station parking lot that gives results before you drive off. Those don't meet the OP's needs. Because of regulations, not because they don't exist.

I am just assuming international travel is not happening for me in the foreseeable future. I'm not playing ball with that crap.

Well I got my test results from the one I did last night and I am all set for now. But this is tedious, to say the least. If I had the option, I would stay put in no mans land AKA fargo

Well I got my test results from the one I did last night and I am all set for now. But this is tedious, to say the least. If I had the option, I would stay put in no mans land AKA fargo
Would suck if you were waiting at the airport and you were positive.

Would suck if you were waiting at the airport and you were positive.

Ha, with all this running around I actually didn’t even think of that lol. Yeah that would suck big time

Bill Gates had it right. Put the right pressures on the free market and let it do the rest. Legislate the following:

24 hours or less: Vendor gets full price. Because that's how fast it needs to be to be very useful.
24 - 48 hours: Vendor gets 50%. Because there is still some value.
48 hours or longer: Vendor gets nothing. Because the test was too long ago to really be very useful.

The problem would be fixed within weeks.

Bill Gates had it right. Put the right pressures on the free market and let it do the rest. Legislate the following:

24 hours or less: Vendor gets full price. Because that's how fast it needs to be to be very useful.
48 hours or longer: Vendor gets nothing. Because the test was too long ago to really be very useful.

Isn't this the opposite of the free market?

bingo - I think you hit the nail on the head.

But perhaps some vendor could offer that pricing voluntarily.

But more likely there would be a push for a public option.

The price would triple, but you'd only have to pay for every third test.

Testing companies see a market of people who will pay for faster turnaround for travel and have few incentives to get testing done more quickly. That’s capitalism for you.

And thank goodness for capitalism so that people that really do need to get results quickly might have the option.

it is my understanding that the test i am referring to RT-PCR has to be Nasopharyngeal. the Rapid Antigen test you can get in matter of mins, but thats not valid for international travel, including entry to US
Antigenic test means they're using some sort of antibody to detect viral protein. Antibodies are very specific, but they don't do anything to amplify the signal the way PCR does. So you need blood, and a fair amount of it. Thus you need a medical professional of some stripe to exact said blood, not something you want done at your local Walmart. And you need a purification step. My guess is the antigen test isn't faster than PCR in reality.

This is really amazing. We're talking about a disease that was unknown a year ago, and now there are tests that can detect it in an hour and vaccines that can banish it. And still people *****. We live in an age of miracles and people blind to them.

Only in a uselessly pedantic sense. It's like saying that auto manufacturers don't operate in a free market because there are laws requiring airbags. Setting standards and letting the free market figure out how produce products that meet those standards in a competitive marketplace is a proven strategy.

Only in a uselessly pedantic sense. It's like saying that auto manufacturers don't operate in a free market because there are laws requiring airbags. Setting standards and letting the free market figure out how produce products that meet those standards in a competitive marketplace is a proven strategy.

nope - it's like saying auto manufacturers don't operate in a free market because some government agency sets the price.

oh wait...

nope - it's like saying auto manufacturers don't operate in a free market because some government agency sets the price.

The government didn't set the price in my scenario. They said you can't charge for a useless test. The market sets the price. It may well be that the price goes up, because it costs more to provide a test that has medical value. It might be that the price remains the same, because of market pressures, but they only sell 100 a day instead of 500 because they can only process 100 a day in a timeline that provides medical value. But the government doesn't set the price, just prohibits charging for tests that have no medical value. Just like it prohibits the sale of vehicles that don't have certain safety features, but doesn't tell Ford what to charge.

The government didn't set the price in my scenario. They said you can't charge for a useless test. The market sets the price. It may well be that the price goes up, because it costs more to provide a test that has medical value. It might be that the price remains the same, because of market pressures, but they only sell 100 a day instead of 500 because they can only process 100 a day in a timeline that provides medical value. But the government doesn't set the price, just prohibits charging for tests that have no medical value. Just like it prohibits the sale of vehicles that don't have certain safety features, but doesn't tell Ford what to charge.
So what you're saying is that the government sets the price of some tests at zero. I'm interested in the theory on how that could potentially lower other prices or even not raise them.

So what you're saying is that the government sets the price of some tests at zero. I'm interested in the theory on how that could potentially lower other prices or even not raise them.

The goal isn't to "lower prices or even not raise them". The goal is to have tests that are medically useful. That, indeed, might cost more than the current system. But that's acceptable, because it's better than charging $200 for a test that has no value because the results aren't delivered in a timely manner.

In any case, I have confidence in free market competition to keep the prices manageable because there are multiple vendors competing. That's one of the things that the free market is good at.

"They said you can't charge for a useless test" - the government just set the price at zero.

"The market sets the price." except that in your dreamworld the government controls that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back