Average time to complete Private Written

Average time to complete written (Private)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
I know the answer will be it varies. So there goes a poll...
I have a very tight schedule and I cannot change the day of my written.

How long did it took you?

While the written is not "hard" for someone who studied and has immersed themselves in the world of aviation, I'm not sure you want to box yourself into a tight timing corner and "rush it" .. it's one of the first big milestones in your aviation path and if you don't do well you'll have to retake it or potentially make for a more challenging portion of the oral during your checkride

My $0.00 is to give yourself a solid window of time so you can do the exam free of distraction. I would imagine in most cases the hassle of moving your schedule around is worth the potential risk of a harder journey afterwards

Having said that, I did mine in about 45 minutes, and that was with the paranoia of "damn, did I do this too fast? should I rereview it?!"

what he said, especially the part about...'did i do it too fast?'.

There are 60 questions, and for about 40 of them I answered in no more time than it took to read and click because they were very similar to questions on practice tests and the answer was obvious. Of the rest, maybe 10-15 required me to get out a pencil and paper and trace a graph, or measure a chart, or something that involved heads-down work. Then there will be a few knowledge questions that you're stuck on that you'll stare at for 5+ minutes trying to decide which one makes the most sense. So if for some reason I had a hard 30 minute time limit on the test, I'm confident I would still have been able to finish and pass - but I definitely wouldn't want to put myself in that position. Going by your poll choices, if 90 minutes is your hard cap, I think you'll be fine with that - if you spend more than 90 minutes on the test, you're probably either not well-prepared or are second guessing yourself too much.

Having said that, I did mine in about 45 minutes, and that was with the paranoia of "damn, did I do this too fast? should I rereview it?!"
Ditto. I think my paranoia lasted about 10 minutes or so.

Yep. Actual time to finish was like 40 minutes... but then reviewed the whole test to make sure I got them all right so that took another 20 or so. Missed one question.

I'm planning on the full 2:30. Just thought it looks like a lot of time and I might be out earlier than that

I think I did mine in about 45 minutes. You should definitely be able to finish before the 2:30 mark. Don’t rush though!

Count me in with the 45-minute folks. You'll get most of the questions done really quickly. Then you'll agonize over 3 or 4 for fifteen minutes before saying Foxtrot India and punching out.

I took the written so long ago it was still an actual written test... so I don't remember how long it took me

You may be busy, but if that written isn't the most important thing happening to you on that day, just skip flying.

Mine was in the paper days with testing at the FSDO. I think it was well under an hour.

I did all my writtens in maybe 10 15 minutes. Im a multiple choice testing fiend though. If it required me to solve something i would guess and move on. Got 93 on ppl comm and atp. Got like a 76 on ifr cause there were a lot of solving stuff problems.

I did all my writtens in maybe 10 15 minutes. Im a multiple choice testing fiend though. If it required me to solve something i would guess and move on. Got 93 on ppl comm and atp. Got like a 76 on ifr cause there were a lot of solving stuff problems.

There was a fellow like this in medical school also. Would just blast through the exams. I believe he passed and graduated.

Got like a 76 on ifr cause there were a lot of solving stuff problems.

My hangar buddies were concerned about their scores on their written (two of them taking lessons).

I reminded them that the guy that got a 100% and the one that squeaked out at 70% got the same certificate ...

I have no idea how long it took back in 1984. I do remember it took about three weeks to get the results back in the mail.

You may be busy, but if that written isn't the most important thing happening to you on that day, just skip flying.

QFT. Plan to be at the test center early, take the full amount of time allowed plus whatever other admin time after the fact is needed to get your stuff back (along with all the other folks at the test center doing their various exams) and a few minutes afterwards to celebrate passing or mourn the failure (I guess that’s what the people who fail do).

Anything more than a 70 is wasted effort

No it’s not, your written will affect your oral portion of your check ride. I got a 100% and my oral took only like 10 minutes. I was told another student with took a couple of hours. DPE are like sharks, they sense weakness.

Same DPE?

I believe so, told to me by an instructor. I be interested in what our CFIs experiences are.
The written results as I recall don’t show the specific questions missed, but do show the subjects, which the DPE gets so they know what areas you may be weak in.

I believe so, told to me by an instructor. I be interested in what our CFIs experiences are.
The written results as I recall don’t show the specific questions missed, but do show the subjects, which the DPE gets so they know what areas you may be weak in.

Different DPE, different results.

I would allow
I know the answer will be it varies. So there goes a poll...
I have a very tight schedule and I cannot change the day of my written.

How long did it took you?

Figure 3 hours from the time you park the car until you leave.

Different DPE, different results.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/LearningStatementReferenceGuide.pdf

“ When an applicant for an airman certificate or rating takes the applicable airman knowledge test required for that certificate/rating, the applicant will receive an Airman Knowledge Test Report. The test report will list the learning statement codes for questions that are answered incorrectly. The student should match the code with the learning statement code contained in this document to review areas of deficiency. An applicant’s instructor is required to provide instruction on each of the areas of deficiency listed on the Airman Knowledge Test Report and to complete an endorsement of this instruction. The Airman Knowledge Test Report must be presented to the examiner conducting the practical test. During the oral portion of the practical test, the examiner is required to evaluate the noted areas of deficiency.”

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/LearningStatementReferenceGuide.pdf

“ When an applicant for an airman certificate or rating takes the applicable airman knowledge test required for that certificate/rating, the applicant will receive an Airman Knowledge Test Report. The test report will list the learning statement codes for questions that are answered incorrectly. The student should match the code with the learning statement code contained in this document to review areas of deficiency. An applicant’s instructor is required to provide instruction on each of the areas of deficiency listed on the Airman Knowledge Test Report and to complete an endorsement of this instruction. The Airman Knowledge Test Report must be presented to the examiner conducting the practical test. During the oral portion of the practical test, the examiner is required to evaluate the noted areas of deficiency.”

I stand by my previous statement

Ok, just post the DPE’s name you use so people don’t have to prepare for an FAA practical rest requirement.

My previous statement is that it is going to vary from DPE to DPE the amount they are going to grill you on what you missed on the written. If you think every DPE does everything exactly the same, and exactly how the book says, I got a bridge for you to buy.

My previous statement is that it is going to vary from DPE to DPE the amount they are going to grill you on what you missed on the written. If you think every DPE does everything exactly the same, and exactly how the book says, I got a bridge for you to buy.

You are correct, every DPE does not do everything exactly the same, but not
evaluating the noted areas of deficiency is violating FAA policy and neither the student or his CFI should base there test preparation on your experience with one of about 1000 DPEs.

You are correct, every DPE does not do everything exactly the same, but not
evaluating the noted areas of deficiency are violating FAA policy and neither the student or his CFI should base there test preparation on your experience with one of about 1000 DPEs.

Ok

During the oral portion of the practical test, the examiner is required to evaluate the noted areas of deficiency.”
In my latest oral exams, the DPE did take the time to review the knowledge test deficiencies.

However, I made this a quick and easy task on both of us by already listing the knowledge codes from the exam, what they meant, and providing a two-three sentence explanation of what I missed and how I can remember it for the future.

After a few moments reading that, the examiner would hand back my results page and move on to the next item in his action plan.

There are no rewards for being the fastest to complete a test. If I have extra time after finishing my test I go back and review each question, including re doing the calculations.

No it’s not, your written will affect your oral portion of your check ride. I got a 100% and my oral took only like 10 minutes. I was told another student with took a couple of hours. DPE are like sharks, they sense weakness.

Did well on both PPL and IFR written's and the DPE (same guy for both) said "you overstudied, what shall we talk about?". Somehow we found stuff to talk about anyway.

Took mine back n 1995, Rapid City, SD. Went thru test twice, think it took me 90 minutes.

Haven’t taken a real PPL knowledge exam. However, my college professors said not to leave the room until the time was up. The few times I left early even though a question had stumped me, I remembered the answer before the test was over but it was too late to return. So, unless I know everything cold, I plan to stay the whole time.

Back