Tiny Kidney Stone?

F

Fletch F Fletch

Hello all,

I wound up getting a CT for something unrelated (which turned out to be nothing), but in the process, the Radiologist picked out a 1mm "faint calcification". An "incidental finding" I think they call it. I wouldn't have even known about it had I not actually requested/read the report/images because the Doc never told me about it.

Reading through the CACI guidelines, it talks about getting a note from the physician, which is fine, but if it was the first finding, can the Dr sign off that it's "stable and unchanging?" with only one image. Do I need to get a second scan of some kind (US, XRay or another CT), and if so, what would be the time interval?

Just trying to do my homework since my medical is due next month. I did do a search of the forum, but didn't see anything 100% relevant.

Appreciation in advance.

Good reason for an AME consultation to find out what (if any) additional tests and documentation you'll need before the official AME visit.

Been there. Passed a stone too.

It was a non issue for me. Just a follow up report from my doc attached to my class 2 medical once a year for two years.

OTOH, kidney stones do not require an SI under Basic Med. Something to consider if the Basic Med limitations will work for you.

Try this: the urologist might feel that it's parenchymal and just not going to be a factor.
Otherwise for a retained stone, recent, you do indeed, need two images 90 days apart.

Attachments

• CACI(Stone4MD.sig)10.31.19.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
Try this: the urologist might feel that it's parenchymal and just not going to be a factor.
Otherwise for a retained stone, recent, you do indeed, need two images 90 days apart.

Are retained stones the only ones the FAA is concerned about?

If follow-up imaging is required, inquire as to whether you can substitute a renal ultrasound for a CT. Even if still present, a 1mm "faint" calcification seen on CT will likely be below the resolution of ultrasound. Also consider increasing your fluid intake. If it is a 1mm urinary tract calculus, it may pass without your knowledge.

If follow-up imaging is required, inquire as to whether you can substitute a renal ultrasound for a CT. Even if still present, a 1mm "faint" calcification seen on CT will likely be below the resolution of ultrasound. Also consider increasing your fluid intake. If it is a 1mm urinary tract calculus, it may pass without your knowledge.
>ultrasound
in other words, game the system?

Imaging is usually a KUB for the stone. BTDT.

>ultrasound

Not gaming the system. CT identified an incidental and likely inconsequential finding that unfortunately requires further work up. Ultrasound is the most cost effective and safe modality in this case. In an asymptomatic individual, a negative renal ultrasound ensures very little chance of clinically significant stone disease or urinary tract obstruction. I just don’t know if the FAA would agree, or require another CT stone protocol.

In 1980, KUB would have been a great answer. If your physician is currently recommending KUB only for evaluation of renal calculus, you should find a new one who keeps up with practice guidelines.

Not gaming the system. CT identified an incidental and likely inconsequential finding that unfortunately requires further work up. Ultrasound is the most cost effective and safe modality in this case. In an asymptomatic individual, a negative renal ultrasound ensures very little chance of clinically significant stone disease or urinary tract obstruction. I just don’t know if the FAA would agree, or require another CT stone protocol.

In 1980, KUB would have been a great answer. If your physician is currently recommending KUB only for evaluation of renal calculus, you should find a new one who keeps up with practice guidelines.
The physicians who required the KUB were 1) urologist and 2) nephrologist. Somehow, I think both are up to date with practice guidelines.

If you do need a follow-up CT, call around to local clinics for pricing. There can be a huge variation in cost, and your insurance may not cover it because for a 1 mm stone I doubt they'd consider it medically necessary.

I wound up getting a CT for something unrelated (which turned out to be nothing), but in the process, the Radiologist picked out a 1mm "faint calcification". An "incidental finding" I think they call it. I wouldn't have even known about it had I not actually requested/read the report/images because the Doc never told me about it.

>ultrasound

I'm in medical imaging. Ultrasound in "the wrong hands" often over calls renal calculi. By ultrasound, that echogenic focus is supposed to have distal acoustic shadowing ... many "little white dots" do not have shadowing and a large number of them would be more accurately classified as "focal fibrosis" or scarring secondary to some previous infection.

We get a fair number of ATP pilots that get to see the scenery on this road. CT scan using renal calculi protocol if needed, and the rest of the stuff Dr Bruce indicated ....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back