Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
I’ve been very fortunate to be able to fly -- pretty far and wide -- with family and friends. Today I’m off to meet with best bud Bill to brainstorm... Where should we fly for our next adventure? And we’d welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

I am ready to buy stuff. What stuff should I buy?

I am ready to buy stuff. What stuff should I buy?
Not sure what you're asking. If you're planning Alaska in the early summer, perhaps you might want to buy a mosquito net?
Wayne

Just yanking your chain.
I am happy to help you, but have no idea where you are, how far you are wanting to fly, how long (days), what you like to see and do, where you have not been yet...
So, can you help us help you?

Just yanking your chain.
I am happy to help you, but have no idea where you are, how far you are wanting to fly, how long (days), what you like to see and do, where you have not been yet...
So, can you help us help you?
All good. Based in Santa Barbara CA in a DA40 (~140 KTAS on 8 gph):
  • more details in the video... e.g. previous tours: Cuba/Guatemala 2016, Colombia 2018, Caribbean 2020
  • Mini-tour this spring, ~5 days, 2000 nm round trip
  • Full-tour late this summer, 15 days, 6000 nm round trip
Thanks,
Wayne

There are some great camping spots in Idaho. So maybe some back country fishing trips to camping spots in Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe crowded Kolorado. Try Marble,Co and maybe Leadville.

Fun video as always. Would love to island hop Bahamas. Seems manageable from an open water perspective. Some day.

For a mini trip, what about Houston? Visit the Johnson Space Center? Son and I are planning an east coast tour for early summer - kitty hawk as primary destination with possible Florida swing to Kennedy. It'll be our first "real" XC.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

There are some great camping spots in Idaho. So maybe some back country fishing trips to camping spots in Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe crowded Kolorado. Try Marble,Co and maybe Leadville.
Rather than my DA40, we'll take my friend Bill's C182 and hit some of those back country spots you mention. And his 285hp would also come in handy getting out of Leadville. Thanks!

Fun video as always. Would love to island hop Bahamas. Seems manageable from an open water perspective. Some day.

For a mini trip, what about Houston? Visit the Johnson Space Center? Son and I are planning an east coast tour for early summer - kitty hawk as primary destination with possible Florida swing to Kennedy. It'll be our first "real" XC.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for good ideas. The Bahamas are very doable and beautiful from above.
I also like the Space Center ideas... planning a spring trip with the family to Texas, so will try to hit Johnson Space Center.
Wayne

Do you actually want ideas, or are you just pitching your video?
Ideas were invited and most welcome... still hoping for specific thoughts about routes and things to do for (a) the Trench Route up to Alaska, (b) a Canadian Maritimes tour, and (c) maybe some spots to hit in the Mexican highlands.
Wayne

I’m not sure my information is still accurate but about 18 months ago the current Mexican administration turned a lot of their international airports into regionals. That kind of killed my plans of flying to Cuernavaca direct; lots of friends in that city. In all honesty, it’s been a year since I checked to see if any of those regionals reverted back to International.

I’d vote for a Mexico tour overall.

I’m not sure my information is still accurate but about 18 months ago the current Mexican administration turned a lot of their international airports into regionals. That kind of killed my plans of flying to Cuernavaca direct; lots of friends in that city. In all honesty, it’s been a year since I checked to see if any of those regionals reverted back to International.

I’d vote for a Mexico tour overall.
The Mexican highlands are definitely on our wish list, with Cuernavaca as the final destination. We gave this a try in 2019 but got turned around in Guadalajara for weather and high MEAs over the highlands. In our case, our shorter DA40 range means we're checking in much earlier, usually at MMGM or MMCL. Thanks!

Go to France.

I found this video during an attempt to reach the end of the internet, and despite the click-baity title, I thought it was pretty cool. I showed my wife and she thought it'd be a fun trip.

I'm waiting for Biden (don't make this political!) to open Cuba back up, and that'll probably rocket to the top of our destination list.

Go to France.

I found this video during an attempt to reach the end of the internet, and despite the click-baity title, I thought it was pretty cool. I showed my wife and she thought it'd be a fun trip.

I'm waiting for Biden (don't make this political!) to open Cuba back up, and that'll probably rocket to the top of our destination list.
Thanks for the video on Boston to France... I thought that would be a lot of water crossing, but after watching the video... I get the "France" part, and learned some geography/history!

I strongly encourage you to make the Cuba trip... the people and especially the open-air jazz/salsa bars are awesome! I wasn't making videos at the time, but here's a photo album of our Cuba/Guatemala tour in 2016. Here's also a document I put together regarding flight logistics into Cuba (as of April 2016).

Buen viaje!
Wayne

Last edited:
Thanks for the video on Boston to France... I thought that would be a lot of water crossing, but after watching the video... I get the "France" part, and learned some geography/history!

I strongly encourage you to make the Cuba trip... the people and especially the open-air jazz/salsa bars are awesome! I wasn't making videos at the time, but here's a photo album of our Cuba/Guatemala tour in 2016. Here's also a document I put together regarding flight logistics into Cuba (as of April 2016).

Buen viaje!
Wayne
Those pictures look awesome! And that’s great gouge. Thanks for sharing.

This thread is like 10x above my pay grade. Enjoy whatever route you choose!

This thread is like 10x above my pay grade. Enjoy whatever route you choose!
Thanks for the kind wishes... and remember that flying 20 nm to get a burger is an adventure not available to 99%+ of the population :).

If you do a Bahamas tour, make sure to include a low approach to the shuttle landing facility (KTTS). That's part of my dream plan to hit the out islands of the Bahamas. Low approach to KTTS, thence on to KFPR as the Gateway to the Bahamas. Just gotta find the time.....

If you do a Bahamas tour, make sure to include a low approach to the shuttle landing facility (KTTS). That's part of my dream plan to hit the out islands of the Bahamas. Low approach to KTTS, thence on to KFPR as the Gateway to the Bahamas. Just gotta find the time.....
I like the idea of the low approach KTTS. In January 2020 we did hit a handful of islands in the Bahamas and the eastern Caribbean (videos), using KFPR as our departure/return AOE. Once you find the time, the islands are a great flying adventure!

Back