A Milestone

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
...a small one, but nonetheless, a milestone for me.

Went flying this afternoon and passed 400 hours TT. I think back to the day I soloed and the many fun experiences and learning lessons that I’ve had thus far.

Here’s to many more!

84143F96-D39B-43AA-A8F4-F9F4E76BF21D.jpeg

I don’t remember my 400th, but I remember my 1,000th hour. Giving dual instruction to my cousin in his 150.

I don’t really remember any other milestone hours.

Congrats Ryan!

...I don’t really remember any other milestone hours.

It's such a privilege to pilot your own plane. I get the same charge out of leaving the ground today as I did on my first flight. I think I've convinced myself that every hour is a milestone hour. Then again, that could be because I am staring at geezerhood in the near future. :D

The round numbers are fun. I enjoy totaling up a new page; my cfii who has 3000+ hours, all GA, said he still gets a kick out of totaling up a page. I crossed 250 on my way down here...time to start on my commercial? The flight home will fill out a page, looking forward to adding 20 hours to each column.

Way to go, Ryan! From what I can tell from posting/chatting with you.... I can tell you enjoyed every single one of those 400 hours!! Here's to hundreds and thousands of more hours for you, sir!

:goofy:

Excellent, congrats!! Just hit 450 hrs on my engine/airframe on the morning breakfast run.

The round numbers are fun. I enjoy totaling up a new page; my cfii who has 3000+ hours, all GA, said he still gets a kick out of totaling up a page. I crossed 250 on my way down here...time to start on my commercial? The flight home will fill out a page, looking forward to adding 20 hours to each column.
It never ends. I have quite a few hours in quite a few logbooks and I like rolling over zeros the same now as I did when I hit 100, 200, 500, 1,000...

It never ends. I have quite a few hours in quite a few logbooks and I like rolling over zeros the same now as I did when I hit 100, 200, 500, 1,000...

Exactly the same way! One thing I love about aviation is that every time I roll over to another zero I think back and realize how much I've learned over that period of time. It never stops.

Went flying this afternoon and passed 400 hours TT.
A belated congrats! How many more pages in your logbook? I started my 2nd not long after I hit 400.

Congrats. Last year I hit that milestone, just started my second logbook this year but with weather and everything.... it’s been a very slow progress to the next 100

Just out of curiosity, what % of everyone’s hours are cross country?
I recently did totals for insurance and had 614 total, 342 cross country (50nm definition).

I prefer to look at binary milestones rather than base ten.

I recently did totals for insurance and had 614 total, 342 cross country (50nm definition).
60% for me. My IR training is bringing that percentage back down.

400, woo hoo!!! Keep at it man!

For some guys, it does end... like airline pilots who just don't care anymore and grind it out. It's just a job and they don't care.

Now me, I'm one of those weirdo airline dudes who still keeps a paper logbook; approaching 28,000 hours now and I gotta say I still like rolling over to the next big round digit... and I balance out the boring 737 time by building/flying an RV-8(1800 hrs!), buying a share of a T-28(almost 100 hrs!) and joining the CAF and getting to fly some cool stuff(B-17, 170 hrs!). 737 time? Who cares, not me. Some guys that I fly with think I'm a freak. Maybe they're right?

I just looked in my first logbook, and there it is, my 400th hour. July 19, 1987, a C-206 into McGehee's Catfish grass strip near Marietta, Oklahoma. 34 years ago, I was only 18... damn, now I feel old!

I remember the day I rolled over 750 and had enough time to fly the WACO UPF-7. It was the day the new owner came to pick it up. :(

I also remember the first time I flew 8 hours in a day...I was at 7.8 at quitting time, and the boss let me take the T-craft around the patch to round it out. :)

Hey that's awesome man! I remember when passing 100 hours was a big deal

Congrats,,,

i’ll crack 500 this year. I only had around 100 or so in my first 10 years
, then i bought my cessna 140, 2 1/2 years ago... just looked ive done 170 or so in the last 12 months, . I dont like to fly that much but i dont want the engine to corrode! Lol.

I haven’t opened my logbook since September when I did the last entry in it (acceptance flight in the MU2 for the new owner), but as I recall it’s something around 3,300 total, all but 50 or so is XC. So something like 98.5% XC time.

If you then looked at my XC time, the vast, vast majority of it is probably 300+ nm trips.

Mine worked out to be 40%, but I'm fairly new to all this, so a lot of my time is training. Back out my 100 hours of dual, and it jumps to 60%

I began flying back when it was affordable, so I don't mention how many hours I accumulated in so few years.

It makes people grumpy if I tell them...

A belated congrats! How many more pages in your logbook? I started my 2nd not long after I hit 400.
Thanks! I have three pages left in my log book.

56% for me.

Starting your instrument training after starting your second logbook makes it easier for the DPE to review all your training during the check ride. Just sayin' ;)

Mine worked out to be 40%, but I'm fairly new to all this, so a lot of my time is training. Back out my 100 hours of dual, and it jumps to 60%
Same for me. Since I am just about at 300 hours (hit 294 last night), and my PPL training spanned 16 years, my first 100 hours was probably 75% training. If you look at my last 200 hours, I would guess 90% of it is cross country. My usual non-cross country flights are just sight seeing fun flights for people that want to experience flying. I am not going to feel bad about that. I am more like @Ted . Most of my current non-training flying is 300nm+ and that's just one way.

Reactions: Ted
...a small one, but nonetheless, a milestone for me.

Went flying this afternoon and passed 400 hours TT. I think back to the day I soloed and the many fun experiences and learning lessons that I’ve had thus far.

Here’s to many more!

Congrats! :cool:

You'll need to kick it up a notch to fly for the airlines. Weren't you asking about that a week ago?

60% for me. My IR training is bringing that percentage back down.

Plan your approaches to hop out to an airport 51nm or more away, land there (even a T&G) and hop back. I would do that when I did approach practice with a friend during my IR training.

Wow. The last page of my first logbook I had 654.5 hours and I had 4 lines left. I started a new book as that was the end of a year and felt like starting the new book on a new year.

For the past 15 years my logbook has just been signatures. I can print out my database copy if needed.

I haven’t opened my logbook since September when I did the last entry in it (acceptance flight in the MU2 for the new owner), but as I recall it’s something around 3,300 total, all but 50 or so is XC. So something like 98.5% XC time.

If you then looked at my XC time, the vast, vast majority of it is probably 300+ nm trips.

Impressive. How did you keep the non-XC so low? I had a little over 50 hrs in my PPL (12 XC), but then IR and multiple check-outs in different planes, BFRs and insurance check flights, have just added up for me.

Otherwise, when I get in the plane it's an XC flight. I'm at 79.77% XC time.

Back