Best long term fuel sealer

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Which fuel sealer do you like?
I am trying to find a long term sealer to (glue) ? the new fuel tank gaskets. They will be bolted to the old tank flanges, and hopefully never be removed.

I don’t think you have to put anything on that. Did you check the manual? I usually like FuelLube on something like that, even though it isn’t required. We used it at the airlines a lot. Hard fuel panels were always sealed over top (the gap) with B1/2, but I wouldn’t put that mess on a small plane. Way too hard to get off.

I don’t think you have to put anything on that. Did you check the manual? I usually like FuelLube on something like that, even though it isn’t required. We used it at the airlines a lot. Hard fuel panels were always sealed over top (the gap) with B1/2, but I wouldn’t put that mess on a small plane. Way too hard to get off.
I've seen pro seal used on a lot of JP aircraft used but not on 100LL or auto fuel.

I'm going try a soak test on this stuff, any experience is appreciated.
166684_0_0

Last edited:
I've seen pro seal used on a lot of JP aircraft used but not on 100LL or auto fuel.

I would stay very far away from that. Mil spec approved such as fuel lube or nothing at all, and be done with it.

Last edited:
I use EZ Turn on fittings I may need to service. Permatex works, too. Never used Permashield but I think it's made for fuel contact?

Which fuel sealer do you like?
I am trying to find a long term sealer to (glue) ? the new fuel tank gaskets. They will be bolted to the old tank flanges, and hopefully never be removed.

Are the gaskets cork? None. Torque screws, let sit 24 hours then retorque the screws again, then done. No sealants needed.

Reactions: Jdm
Are the gaskets cork? None. Torque screws, let sit 24 hours then retorque the screws again, then done. No sealants needed.
I believe that is the best. (nothing to fail)

Reactions: Jdm
Then you have never seen an RV, all 10,000+ of which use it to seal their tanks.

I'm going try a soak test on this stuff, any experience is appreciated.
166684_0_0
My airplane and thousands of other Cessnas, RV's, Mooneys, Cirrii, etc. have been sealed/resealed with proseal. Cessna specifies this in their maintenance manuals, but it's the same thing. https://cessnadirect.com/u544059

Then you have never seen an RV, all 10,000+ of which use it to seal their tanks.
Exactly,, I used tube after tube when I worked The EA6Bs and the G1s, but I do not use it in the little aircraft I work on. I'd rather replace the tank than to use the sticky goo.

OBTW- the fuel tanks of the Navy aircraft use caulking channels not pro-seal.

If your 170/172/182 has a leak I'm installing a new one.

Last edited:

Yes, wonderful stuff but oh so messy to apply.

Quite a few RV builders have use ProSeal on cork gaskets for the fuel sender plate, only to develop a leak through the cork part over time. What holds up better is a bead of ProSeal without the gasket.

The sender plates on my wet wing tanks use Proseal instead of a cork gasket. I think most RV tanks are done that way now.

The sender plates on my wet wing tanks use Proseal instead of a cork gasket. I think most RV tanks are done that way now.

PRC plus a cork gasket is a recipe for leaks. Either cork with nothing else. Or a layer of PRC applied to both mating surfaces, assemble wet and start the screws/bolts until they just start to squeeze. Let cure fully, then torque. No stress on the parts.

Back