Trying to figure out best next steps for IR and Commercial

Logan Hardee

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jaxpilot02
Hey all,
Trying to figure out the best way to get my ratings for my plans.
Currently have my private and 130 hours. 15 in a chancellor 414 and 15 in a cj1. Those 30 hours are dual received with a buddy who flies corporate (he is an MEI so perfectly legal).
Planning to knock out my instrument in the next 2-3 months. Then either do my CSEL, or skip it and go straight to commercial multi.
The question is—without having a CSEL, how much time will I have to log in a multi aircraft realistically? I have my complex, high performance and high altitude endorsements. Just curious y’all’s thoughts.
I will go straight to working for my friend sitting right seat in a 414. So don’t really have a use for the single license and have no desire to ever teach if I’m being honest.

Others are probably better qualified, but if you are going right into a right seat job in a 414, I would see no benefit to starting with the commercial single.

Others are probably better qualified, but if you are going right into a right seat job in a 414, I would see no benefit to starting with the commercial single.
My question is more of what kind of time I would need to log to pass the multi checkride. Just curious what everyone’s averages before getting signed off.

There’s very little crossover between commercial single engine and commercial multi engine training/checking, so I don’t think that a CSEL will speed up a CMEL.

Is your buddy planning to continue signing off all of your right seat time after you get the job?

There’s very little crossover between commercial single engine and commercial multi engine training/checking, so I don’t think that a CSEL will speed up a CMEL.

Is your buddy planning to continue signing off all of your right seat time after you get the job?
It will be SIC time.

You do understand that logging SIC time in single pilot airplanes isn’t good for anything, right?
Not really. It counts towards TT and insurance time for multi. It could be logged as sic and dual received. Haven’t worked out all the details yet. But it’s still time towards insurance minimums to fly it pic solo.

Not really. It counts towards TT and insurance time for multi. It could be logged as sic and dual received. Haven’t worked out all the details yet. But it’s still time towards insurance minimums to fly it pic solo.
If it’s not logged as dual received, it’s not good for anything as far as the FAA is concerned, including total time.

What the insurance requires may or may not reflect FAA logging regulations.

You can’t log SIC unless the airplane you are flying requires it, (the 414 does not, and I am pretty sure the CJ1 does not) or the regulations you are flying under require it. As far as I know, part 91 flying does not require it.

Be very careful how you log time. You could end up somewhere down the road with a bunch of time that doesn’t count for anything.

You can’t log SIC unless the airplane you are flying requires it, (the 414 does not, and I am pretty sure the CJ1 does not) or the regulations you are flying under require it. As far as I know, part 91 flying does not require it.

Be very careful how you log time. You could end up somewhere down the road with a bunch of time that doesn’t count for anything.
It can still be logged at dual received. Thanks for the info

My question is more of what kind of time I would need to log to pass the multi checkride.
To be eligible for the Commercial Pilot examination, see FAR §61.123

For the aeronautical experience required, See FAR §61.129. Single Engine is under (a) and Multi-Engine is under (b)

The remainder of Part 61, Section F may be of interest to you.

To be eligible for the Commercial Pilot examination, see FAR §61.123

For the aeronautical experience required, See FAR §61.129. Single Engine is under (a) and Multi-Engine is under (b)

The remainder of Part 61, Section F may be of interest to you.
Thank you!

I'm not multi rated, but wondering, what is your goal? Airlines?
This guy has a pretty good discussion on why you might want to do commercial multi: http://www.cfidarren.com/cpinfo.htm
The problem with Darren's suggestion is there's no such thing as doing your commercial and instrument training in a multi at a "slightly higher rate." Hourly rates for multi will start at double what you'd pay for a single and go up from there.

Did that answer your question?
FTTR, ... so in the OPs scenario he can log the time from buddy mei only so long as there is no payload on the plane.Correct in general... terms? Otherwise, Buddy needs to be PIC in a single pilot COMMERCIAL operation,...?
Who doesn't use a written log as a proto diary?.I would Log the radio FOIT duty. (just made that up...FirstOfficerInTrainging.

Last edited:
The problem with Darren's suggestion is there's no such thing as doing your commercial and instrument training in a multi at a "slightly higher rate." Hourly rates for multi will start at double what you'd pay for a single and go up from there.

It is only double if you do it in the same number of hours (time) in the twin, as you would in the single.

I have yet to see that happen. It is a pretty good step, and there is a learning curve there.

Riding along in a twin and logging time is a joke. Yeah, Yeah, I get te whole logging thing vs acting, but that’s a farce. That said, if it’s your future employer and they’re happy with it….

This is not the proper progression system that breads truly competent multi engine pilots.

I take that back. It IS the proper system under cerrr te aun conditions…

1) plenty of true life IFR flying. Crap will come at you fast.
2) plenty of real multi training beforehand.

I cannot stress #1 above enough. So much crap gets thrown at you after training it’s unbelievable. Stuff you’ve probably never heard before, and at the last minute.
In a twin it happens that much faster.

Hey all,
Trying to figure out the best way to get my ratings for my plans.
Currently have my private and 130 hours. 15 in a chancellor 414 and 15 in a cj1. Those 30 hours are dual received with a buddy who flies corporate (he is an MEI so perfectly legal).
Planning to knock out my instrument in the next 2-3 months. Then either do my CSEL, or skip it and go straight to commercial multi.
The question is—without having a CSEL, how much time will I have to log in a multi aircraft realistically? I have my complex, high performance and high altitude endorsements. Just curious y’all’s thoughts.
I will go straight to working for my friend sitting right seat in a 414. So don’t really have a use for the single license and have no desire to ever teach if I’m being honest.

So you're going to fly that 414 for the rest of your career?

My advice is get a broad mix of ratings to set yourself up for not just this job but for the next job. There will be a next job - it is inevitable. Don't box yourself in from the start.

Last edited:
My advice is get a broad mix of ratings to set yourself up for not just this job but for the next job. There will be a next job - it is inevitable. Don't box yourself in from the start.
As soon as you get a job, start training for the next. The only “last” job is the one you retire from. And that’s years away, methinks.

Reactions: WDD
Back